Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just bought a dreamhost plan

I just bought a dreamhost plan
macintologist
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 05:17 AM

I used that coupon code and bought a year of the lowend dreamhost plan for 20 bucks.

Effin' sweet dude.

Now.. what do I do with this? I looked through the account options and you can run bash commands on this thing. I have no idea what the capabilities of this service is. What do you with your dreamhost / other web host, instead of... simply hosting websites?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2007, 09:00 AM

I have forgotten how much space and bandwidth we've got on dreamhost, but it's lots. Really lots. We use it as a file repository for our extranet, mostly. I also run my personal website and a couple of friend's sites from there.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2007, 03:20 PM

do anything you like, as long as you dont mind it being down for a day a week
we don't have time to stop for gas

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
huh?

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2007, 05:35 PM

Been about a day a year for me, for the last few years (except one year it was about two days in a row). I'm not complaining.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 05:39 PM

yeah, the downtime is not really that inconvenient when the price and space/bandwidth is factored in.

If I had more upload bandwidth on my end, I would use it to back up stuff every evening while I sleep...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 4, 2007, 05:42 PM

Mine has almost never been down.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 4, 2007, 05:59 PM

Not my experience at all. Do you actually have a dreamhost plan?

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 4, 2007, 07:54 PM

you probably just havent noticed it then. i have ten sites there and where I motice it most often is with SMTP errors. Mail check 7 or 8 addresses every five minutes and every day or three all of the Dreahosted addresses are inaccessible simultaneously while the other addresses work just fine.

Its not the end of the world for me since all the critical stuff is hosted on Jaguar. DH is just so cheap.

I dont really like their homegrown interface though, I'd really rather have cPanel.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 09:12 PM

I tried dreamhost. Hated 'em.

Went with Site5. They rock. That new $5 plan of theirs is insane.

I've been down maybe... 10 hours tops in four years of hosting with them.
Linkinus is king.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Mar 4, 2007, 09:28 PM

I haven't really noticed any major downtimes. There was one a couple of weeks ago but other then that my site has been up. I've never had any email outages, they've been much more stable then .mac ever was. I'm not a fan boy or anything but all in all the uptime seems good.

What has pissed me off was some of the delays I've run into during registration. I attempted to register a domain this past thursday and got all messed up. The tech support told me it will take 24 hours (huh?), that makes no sense since there registration commitment seems to be no more then 15 minutes. Well 24 hours goes by, 36, 48 even and no word. I open a case again and they said that someone else registered it at the same time (or just before me) which is bs because the whois info shows the registration a day after I tried to register it.

For the price I'm paying its hard to argue to hard but when my two years commitment draws to a close and they've not resolved those types of issues I may look elsewhere. For now I'm pretty pleased, uptime and generally tech support have been good, just that $%&# registration problem
Michael

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 5, 2007, 01:45 AM

FUDpusher
ice

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 03:10 AM

yes i actually have a dreamhost plan
have had for 9 months or so.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2007, 12:32 PM

DreamHost Status should give you an idea of their recent madness with downtime.
I'm giving them another week before I say goodbye cause I'm still within the 90 day trial period.

Brass
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid View Post
I dont really like their homegrown interface though, I'd really rather have cPanel.
Wow... I really detest cPanel. That was one of the greatest reliefs to me after I switched to Dreamhost. No more cPanel... yay!!!! My previous hosting people used cPanel, and it was TERRIBLE! I mean it LOOKED nice, and it did everything I could want, but the ways it did it was awful.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 5, 2007, 04:56 PM

I've had Dreamhost for about 3 years now and my site was down for about 2 days once. That is the only downtime I've noticed.
I heard they had some big downtime last weekend. I didn't notice if my site was up or down.

For what I pay and for what I use my plan for, I don't care about some downtime now and then. No one is going to complain if they can't get to my website.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Wow... I really detest cPanel. That was one of the greatest reliefs to me after I switched to Dreamhost. No more cPanel... yay!!!! My previous hosting people used cPanel, and it was TERRIBLE! I mean it LOOKED nice, and it did everything I could want, but the ways it did it was awful.
well, i guess it'd be more accurate to say that I prefer all the FUNCTIONS that are available with most hosts that use cPanel since it's really just the interface.

The biggest reason I'd prefer cPanel is because its integrated with WHM. WHM makes it SO much easier to deal with multiple domains, set up partitioned access for varying clients/sites, that sort of thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules