Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So, which Car should I get?

So, which Car should I get?
Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 12:19 PM

I am in the market to get a new car... I am not looking for anything fancy, just a four door sedan with some trunk space, and cup holders. I am going to be doing a lot of high way driving, from the Midwest to DC and anywhere else. I was thinking of getting a hybrid, but does the extra cost make sense for how much gas I am going to save driving on the highway? The only car I know of right now is the Accord, what else is out there? Thanks!

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 12:31 PM

Look into the honda accord.. Good car... Good Deals..

ambush
Banned
Dec 27, 2004, 12:40 PM

Prius.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 01:35 PM

Mazda Proteg�.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 01:50 PM

You should check out the cars at Consumer Reports,com. I rely on their opinion for reliability.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1104169806213

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 02:00 PM

If you need 4 wheel drive and good milage, look at the Ford Escape hybrid.

Augie50
Dec 27, 2004, 02:05 PM

If you're in the midwest you'll want 4 wheel drive which means you want a Subaru Legacy.

Hope this helps

Hybrids are at least a few years away from being sensical in terms of return on investment, ie it takes too many years now to recoup the extra cost.

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:11 PM

Buy a 2.0 lit. vw golf turbo diesel TDI, go for the gls version. very reliable.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:14 PM

The accord is really a great car, so is the civic.

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:15 PM

oh, and you can a a great fully loaded used accord from like 94-98 for a really great price, plus those things run forever.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2004, 02:21 PM

Don't get a Prius, it's one of the ugliest cars on the road, interior quality isn't all that super (comparable to the average American car) and it's incredibely slow. It's quite cool when it runs silent on the electric engine tough. It whispers. But if you want people to tell you what car you should buy you should mention a price-range. Otherwise I would say: Merc S-class . The Accord is indeed a great car.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 02:51 PM

Hybrids probably woundn't do anything for you - especially if you're doing mostly highway driving.

Toyota's and Honda's are great cars for the money. Subaru's are also good and gives you AWD. They are a bit pricier though compared to the others. You didn't give a price range or type of car, so I'm guessing those three should have something that interests you.

I would suggest you narrow it down to a few models, than start visiting forums and see what current owners are facing in terms of issues. I neglected to do that with one of my cars, and probably would not have gone with that choice had I read about it ahead of time.

good luck.

skalie
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 03:54 PM

If you don't mind cutting down on the number of doors, go for a Plymouth Roadrunner.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 04:20 PM

1982 Dodge Colt.

Ladies. Love. Them.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
I am in the market to get a new car... I am not looking for anything fancy, just a four door sedan with some trunk space, and cup holders. I am going to be doing a lot of high way driving, from the Midwest to DC and anywhere else. I was thinking of getting a hybrid, but does the extra cost make sense for how much gas I am going to save driving on the highway? The only car I know of right now is the Accord, what else is out there? Thanks!
i love my honda civic, i always suggest hondas when someone is looking for a new car, but if you are going to be driving alot of highway miles i would really try to get a car that limits outside noise when driving on the highway. good luck

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

shabbasuraj
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 09:13 PM

Jeep Liberty.
blabba5555555555555555555555555555555555555

sideus
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 09:32 PM

Ford F-150.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 27, 2004, 09:39 PM

Ford F-350

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 09:44 PM

Nissan Altima
Toyota Camry

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 11:05 PM

CJ5 willys

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2004, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by macroy:
Hybrids probably woundn't do anything for you - especially if you're doing mostly highway driving.

Toyota's and Honda's are great cars for the money. Subaru's are also good and gives you AWD. They are a bit pricier though compared to the others. You didn't give a price range or type of car, so I'm guessing those three should have something that interests you.

I would suggest you narrow it down to a few models, than start visiting forums and see what current owners are facing in terms of issues. I neglected to do that with one of my cars, and probably would not have gone with that choice had I read about it ahead of time.

good luck.
Hybirds are more practical and cost saving when doing mostly city driving than on the expressways, or if you're doing approximately 50/50 city/highway. Any more than 50% highway, and a hybrid is not the answer, because you're still using a gas engine, as opposed to mostly electrics in town. I tend to do more highway driving, so my next car is probably going to be a VW TDI, as I've owned two diesels in the past, and they have been extremely reliable, while giving great mileage.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

iT4c0
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2004, 03:32 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
Hybirds are more practical and cost saving when doing mostly city driving than on the expressways, or if you're doing approximately 50/50 city/highway. Any more than 50% highway, and a hybrid is not the answer, because you're still using a gas engine, as opposed to mostly electrics in town. I tend to do more highway driving, so my next car is probably going to be a VW TDI, as I've owned two diesels in the past, and they have been extremely reliable, while giving great mileage.

agree
VW TDI is the way to go fi you drive on freeway most of the time.
Hybrid is good if you drive in the city a lot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules