Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blurring Between Work and Leisure

Blurring Between Work and Leisure
Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2005, 04:05 PM

Hey peoples, I am doing this small paper on how people having cell phones, e-mail, and blackberries are blurring the line between work and leisure. Because you can be contacted at any point, even during a vacation, is there any blurring actually occurring. Is leisure when there is not work going on, or is work when there is no leisure going on?

I am curious what you guys think.

For me, personally, I think it does blur the line, there is no longer a 9 to 5 with a lunch break. You can be called at any time with an emergency, whereas before if you were out to lunch, they would have to go and find you and bring you back. You're on call 24 hours a day because you have a sure of contacting someone, and if you are not connected, you may lose.

How often to people feel they need to check their Blackberries? (Crackberries)

The main idea is that the technologies are not the reason for this blurring (there was a USA Today article in 1995 about leisure time being redefined), but that they are a catalyst for the change.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2005, 04:36 PM

if you are a high ranking company official... you are getting paid well for the responsibility the position holds. therefore your lines are often blurred. and they are being paid extremely well for it.

for everybody else on communication, your co-workers should not contact you unless there is a emergency.

So IMO, technology may grant you instant communication but protocol and politeness of your co-workers equalizes it. And if this bothers the individual, find a new job.

Forum Links
Forum Rules