Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Installing Windows XP on brand new iMAC

Installing Windows XP on brand new iMAC
pageman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 02:04 AM

I'm getting a new 20"" iMAC in a few days and it'll be my first MAC. I still want to use a few Sony Media programs so I need to run Windows XP. Is there anything special that I need to know about partioning for & installing it? I'd appeciate any advice.

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 07:23 AM

I haven't got my new 24" yet so can't help directly but MacWindows.com may be useful, especially for troubleshooting?

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Cross-Platform Problems
24" Intel imac | G4 imac 10.4.7 | G4 TiBook 10.4.7 | 2 x Bondi G3 imacs 9.2.1 | Apple emate | 4G ipod | ipod shuffle.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2006, 08:08 AM

Just make sure you don't screw anything up. Do it very carefully. Oh, and when you're installing the device drivers from the Boot Camp driver CD, don't do anything else (not even play solitair) until the process is finished and computer restarted. Also, I had problems installing XP with an external display hooked up to my iMac, so make sure the only thing plugged in to your iMac during install/setup are the mouse and keyboard.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by pageman
I'm getting a new 20"" iMAC in a few days and it'll be my first MAC. I still want to use a few Sony Media programs so I need to run Windows XP. Is there anything special that I need to know about partioning for & installing it? I'd appeciate any advice.
Whats a iMAC? I know that MAC is network jargon. Its called iMac and a Mac. Get the name right next time PC user.
Signature depreciated.

HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 10:18 AM

Give him a break CEO, maybe check the spelling on your own blog
24" Intel imac | G4 imac 10.4.7 | G4 TiBook 10.4.7 | 2 x Bondi G3 imacs 9.2.1 | Apple emate | 4G ipod | ipod shuffle.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2006, 11:03 AM

Applemacs Are Grate!!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by HughUK
I haven't got my new 24" yet so can't help directly but MacWindows.com may be useful, especially for troubleshooting?

Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Cross-Platform Problems
I was reading another thread around here (in the alt. OS forum I think) about issues with installing XP on the 24" imac since it doesn't support the native resolution without drivers.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

lamewing
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
Whats a iMAC? I know that MAC is network jargon. Its called iMac and a Mac. Get the name right next time PC user.
How about not being such a jerk to a new Apple computer user. This kind of crap really does a good job of alienating those who might want to switch.

dilbottehrobort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2006, 09:20 PM

I bought my 17" iMac a few days ago, and I installed Windows XP Pro without a hitch a few days ago... Just follow the boot camp instructions and it will work perfect.
17" 2.0Ghz C2D iMac, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, x1600.
1.83Ghz C2D MacBook, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD
30GB 5G iPod White.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 24, 2006, 09:54 PM

Let's remember that this forum is for iMac and Mac Mini HARDWARE issues only. I'm moving this thread to the Alternative Operating Systems forum where it belongs.

pageman, welcome! Don't pay attention to the bickering. It's like a large family with one bathroom; people just can't avoid getting in each other's way now and then.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

jadan0921
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 27, 2006, 09:45 AM

I was wondering if you know anyone who is familiar with installing windows on the new Intel IMacs. (I have the 20")

To describe my problems: I have successfullly downloaded bootcamp, but I can't seem to get Windows to install properly. It is just running the start up CD over and over again, re-installing Windows. Then when it is supposed to restart so you can actually use and register windows, it just restarts again and re-installs windows, and over and over again. When I try to take out the cd, the computer just becomes a zombie. It either turns black with a little "Matrix" - like dash blinking - or its a white screen where you can move the mouse around and nothing else.

I would like to know who to:
1.) install windows successfully
or
2.) Get rid of bootcamp and go back to good old normally functioning OS -X

I've downloaded every bootcamp help book on line, read every web site about this stuff, and nothing seems to help. They just walk you through the "simple" process and they do not address potential problems. Also, mac does not offer support for bootcamp. I would be willing to pay whoever could help me. Because right now i have a $1600 Imac - that is completely useless. Ok well maybe it could be a really huge, good looking paperweight.

You can reach me at [email protected]

Thank you for your time

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2006, 04:20 PM

You just need to use the Boot camp app to remove the XP partition.
To get it to boot back in to OSX press ALT on startup, and choose the iMac startup.

Forum Links
Forum Rules