Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > "Jihad" car commercial upsets U.S. Muslims

"Jihad" car commercial upsets U.S. Muslims
marden
Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 01:17 AM

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:31pm ET

CINCINNATI, Sept 24 (Reuters) - A car commercial proclaiming a jihad on the U.S. auto market and offering "Fatwa Fridays" with free swords for the kids is offensive and should not be aired, Muslim leaders said on Sunday.

The radio advertisement for the Dennis Mitsubishi car dealership in Columbus, Ohio, has "a whole jihad theme," said Adnan Mirza, director of the Columbus office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"They are planning on launching a jihad on the automotive market and their representatives would be wearing burqas ... ," Mirza said. "They mentioned the pope in there and also about giving rubber swords out to the kiddies -- really just reprehensible-type comments."

Details of the radio ad, which has not yet been broadcast, have been reported in the local media, but officials at the dealership declined to comment about the content of the radio spot.

Two employees at the dealership said they had been deluged with calls about the commercial.

"The ad has has never been released, it is not out for public listening," said one employee who declined to give his name. He would not say whether the dealership had changed its mind about airing the commercial.

Tokyo-based Mitsubishi Motors Corp. could not immediately be reached for comment.

Mirza said several local radio stations had already rejected the ad and he hoped the controversy would convince the dealership to rethink its sales strategy.

He also said the Council on American-Islamic Relations would likely contact the dealer to "offer some kind of cultural or sensitivity awareness training."
I think this is a hilarious example of typically American humor.

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Sep 25, 2006, 09:19 AM

There was a VW sommercial with an Explod-O-Bomber™ detonating inside a VW automobile with no effect.
Hillarious.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Taliesin
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by marden
Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:31pm ET

I think this is a hilarious example of typically American humor.
Actually it's japanese humor.

Taliesin

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin

Taliesin
Hmm, how do you figure?

OH! Because it's a japanese car?

Hmmm, that would be like saying Chavez' comments was an example of American humor because the subject of the remarks was American, wouldn't it?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 09:54 AM

I wonder how long before there's riots?
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 25, 2006, 10:28 AM

Tacky™.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

dilbottehrobort
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
There was a VW sommercial with an Explod-O-Bomber™ detonating inside a VW automobile with no effect.
Hillarious.
I thought that VW commercial was quite funny... But that commercial came out awhile back i think, still funny though.
17" 2.0Ghz C2D iMac, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD, x1600.
1.83Ghz C2D MacBook, 1GB RAM, 60GB HDD
30GB 5G iPod White.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 10:51 AM

Whilst I found that VW viral humorous, I think this is completely retarded and unfunny.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 12:11 PM

giving rubber swords out to the kiddies...
Hahaha!

One would have to find it funny or else get really, really, really angry about it.

That is unless one was a moderate Muslim. In which case they would be expected to do and say nothing about it, as is their habit when jihadists do the same things being lampooned but they are done for real.

I mean you wouldn't get upset by a real child really dressing up with a suicide outfit and explosives, but rubber swords freaks you out?

Whose kiddin whom?

jckalen
Senior User
Sep 25, 2006, 12:43 PM

I wonder what the reaction among Catholics would be if they had "Sale Crusade Sundays", declared a "holy war" on prices, dressed like Bishops and gave phallic-shaped "priestly lollypops" to the kiddies?
It looks just like a telefunken' U-47 - Zappa

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jckalen
I wonder what the reaction among Catholics would be if they had "Sale Crusade Sundays", declared a "holy war" on prices, dressed like Bishops and gave phallic-shaped "priestly lollypops" to the kiddies?
You mean they don't?

When the crap with the Priest abuses came out in the news it wasn't long before the jokes and lampooning started. Same thing as this except that the anger over priestly abuses don't lend themselves to spurring car sales.

And I guess we'll see if this kind of lampooning works to increase sales.

Then there was another time when an attempt to capitalize on widespread dissatisfaction with a cultural movement by lampooning it, got a bit out of hand.

A Neksis Sports Moment
July 12th, 1979 – Disco Demolition Night

The last days of disco were fast approaching and popular Chicago DJ Steve Dahl had an idea; why not tap into all the anti-disco sentiment out there by staging a "Disco Demolition Night" at a major-league ballpark? Mike Veeck, director of promotions for the White Sox, thought it was a great plan and announced that any fan who showed up with a disco record would get into the game for 98 cents. The records would be tossed into a dumpster and destroyed between games in a doubleheader.

The White Sox, under the ownership of Bill Veeck – Mike’s dad – had a long history of bizarre promotions, including sending a midget to the plate (he walked on four straight pitches), installing showers in the bleachers and allowing fans to make managerial decisions in one game by holding up "YES" or "NO" cards in response to questions asked by the coaching staff.

Unfortunately, this particular scheme was a little too successful; upwards of 50,000 fans showed up for the game, mostly male and mostly drunk. Another 15,000 or so milled around outside the stadium, burning effigies of John Travolta and trying to sneak into the game. The crowd spent the first game chanting "DISCO SUCKS!," whizzing records onto the field and throwing firecrackers at the opposing team.

When the records were blown up by Dahl with a fireworks bomb, the crowd went apeshit. Several thousand members of Dahl’s self-styled "Insane Coho Lips Antidisco Army" ran onto the diamond, ripped up the pitcher’s mound, started a bonfire in centre field, tore down sections of the fence in the bullpen and sprayed sections of the crowd with the hose used to dampen the field. After almost half an hour of complete chaos the riot police showed up and restored order, but the field was completely wrecked and the Sox were forced to forfeit the second game. Newspaper columnists called the event "sickening" and "an unmitigated horror."

Veeck resigned in disgrace, started drinking and didn’t get another job in baseball for twenty-five years. His father sold the White Sox a short time later. Dahl, on the other hand, blamed the fiasco on insufficient security and remains an obnoxious morning-show shock jock to this day. All in all, it was the worst idea for a baseball promotion since Cleveland’s "10 Cent Beer Night" in 1974, which also ended in fan riots and a forfeited game.

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Den/30...emolition.html

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 05:30 PM

Hahaha!

One would have to find it funny or else get really, really, really angry about it.

That is unless one was a moderate Muslim. In which case they would be expected to do and say nothing about it, as is their habit when jihadists do the same things being lampooned but they are done for real.

I mean you wouldn't get upset by a real child really dressing up with a suicide outfit and explosives, but rubber swords freaks you out?

Whose kiddin whom?
Wait wait wait. So we only have to be sensitive to some people? So you mean I could make fun of jews and be perfectly okay?

What has happened here is a particular symbol was misused by ignorant people are now has been made synonymous with terrorists. Muslims who are not terrorists (not, not your little pet "moderates", muslims) have every right to be offended by this misused of religious symbolism.

Unless you live in mardens dream world. In which case unless you denounce and rally against every single bombing you don't have a voice. Oh and you also fail at democracy. Remember kids: you only have rights if I like you.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 05:38 PM

Sony made a PlayStation 2 ad a couple years ago that used Christian images to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the PlayStation brand. It received an outraged response from The Vatican and Italians threatened to boycott Sony products. The ad showed a guy wearing a crown of thorns, with thorns bent into PlayStation symbols, and a subtitle '10 years of Passion.'

So given that, I don't think Muslims should have a problem being offended by such tacky advertising.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2006, 05:43 PM

They get offended by everything, but their own murderous violence.
Shut up and eat your paisley.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Larr
They get offended by everything, but their own murderous violence.
Terrorists are protesting this? Or are you saying all muslims are terrorists?

You really should clarify so nobody gets the impression you're some sort of hateful racist.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 06:36 PM

I think it's time the readership knows what you've been up to, invisibleX.

Probably because you wanted to prevent me from sharing the truth on these pages you reported me in another thread. But you didn't report me for anything I said to you, because there was no case of my breaking the rules and you knew it. So, to shut me up you reported me for an innocuous image I posted when talking to another poster!

I think XXXXX wants to be the center of attention like a rock star or movie star.
Originally Posted by invisibleX
Reported for personal attacks.
http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...2/#post3142860
[/QUOTE]

Then, you made personal attacks at me and I reminded you not to do it.

Ad hominem attacks are bannable offenses.

You've been given fair warning.
I hate to break it to you but not a single person here agrees with you. I think my reading comprehension is just dandy. Nor have I made any personal attacks.

I'll be a very nice guy and consider that perhaps you aren't advocating violating the constitution in order to protect it, declaring martial law, and an overall move to a fascist government with democratic undertones. Perhaps you're exercising vastly superior tactics to demonstrate something: Just precisely how valuable and fragile democracy is.

Maybe all this fascist speech is meant to remind us how important it is to defend democracy by upholding it and never letting it be violated. This reminds us exactly how important it is to let people like Chavez and the president of Iran (not even attempting his name) to speak freely in our countries because where they would oppress our voice we don't do the same. Why? Because in upholding the values of democracy we make the idea stronger than it could ever be alone. No, we aren't a perfect nation under a perfect ideology but here you won't be silenced if you don't tow the leaders line as in so many other nations. You can kill our soldiers and threaten us economically but at the end of the day when people are sick of being oppressed they will turn to us for freedom not some petty dictator for security. Again for the very simple reason that they are as free to do so as not. This may not always be the best course of action in terms of security but it is the only way to protect democracy from the very corruption that can be seen in the least free of countries.

I guess I should thank you marden for showing us how valuable democracy is by letting us see just how slippery and full of good intentions the slope to fascism can be.
http://forums.macnn.com/95/political...2/#post3142366
But, in that post you are defending free speech and liberty as though you were one of the defenders at Valley Forge!

Your point being that there is NOTHING that's off limits when it comes to free expression in a democracy. I disagreed, but this is about you.

And speaking of you, here you go again on the subject of free expression. Only, now you are on the OTHER side of the argument. You are saying that expression when it comes to religion is waaay out of line.

Wait wait wait. So we only have to be sensitive to some people? So you mean I could make fun of jews and be perfectly okay?

What has happened here is a particular symbol was misused by ignorant people are now has been made synonymous with terrorists. Muslims who are not terrorists (not, not your little pet "moderates", muslims) have every right to be offended by this misused of religious symbolism.

Unless you live in mardens dream world. In which case unless you denounce and rally against every single bombing you don't have a voice. Oh and you also fail at democracy. Remember kids: you only have rights if I like you.
Maybe you could change your account name to Flipper. Or maybe Flopper. Or Kerry. Haha! I'm just kiddin with you. I can see the American system of democracy and freedom and all has you befuddled.

Well, don't feel bad. Many Americans don't get it either.

You think it's perfectly fine to say whatever in the world you want to say that might endanger our democracy. But when it comes to expressions against bad taste or insensitivity against religion that's where you draw the line.

The key to making sense of both of these is that they are both matters of judgment, not law.

Our freedoms of expression ABSOLUTELY DO protect your right to protest and give it up for or against whomever you choose. But to criticize the president during war is dumb and the only people who would do it are those who are dumb or those who wish to bring harm to this government which is sworn to uphold the Constitution.

In the case of the car dealer it, too, is a matter of judgment. Everyone will have their own opinion about what constitutes TASTEFUL expression or OFFENSIVE expression and so there will be some who find it funny and others who don't and for various reasons on either side of the argument.

But that it is PROTECTED speech is without question. Just like your bashing Bush.

There is no right which protects against having your feelings hurt. That is where you have to just swallow hard and accept the truth. This is free expression. You keep saying I protest speech that I don't like or that I only support speech that I agree with.
And I keep trying to tell you that's incorrect.

I'll say it again in a different way.

You are right. I DON'T like the way people bash Bush. But it isn't so much because of what they say, it's because of the effect that these expressions have on foreign audiences.

They do not understand our freedoms just like many of the people here don't have a good grasp of things and so when they see the President being attacked and assailed it gives them the impression that they can successfully mount an attack on us.

Whereas, if they saw that no one was criticizing Bush they might conclude that the American people are united behind their leaders and we'd better not try to attack them for we will surely get NO support from the American people. Bin Laden said that when we cut and ran from Somalia he knew that we were cowards and lacked the commitment to see a long duration military conflict through to the end.

With that little bit of knowledge he has been able to get us where he wanted us and KNEW we'd eventually get to. We are looking at pulling out of Iraq, cutting and running, just as he said we would. Now, just think of what might have been if we'd had no dissention in this country re: the war. Maybe the people who are loyal to him would have grown uneasy when they saw we were united and maybe they would have begun bashing him so that he might back down from his aggression.

We'll never know because we were so adamant about having our freedom to protest. Yes, yes, yes. It is your right to protest. But if you were SMARTER maybe you'd have realized that bashing Bush wasn't the best way to stop the killing. Maybe if OBL had been pushed to the edge by HIS followers they might have quit by now.
( Last edited by marden; Sep 25, 2006 at 07:13 PM. )

analogika
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2006, 06:47 PM

Ooooh look, it's a Ban War™.

Mod Jihad!

Oh, and (seriously) at the Disco Destruction baseball game article.

And at the rest of this thread.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 06:47 PM

aberdeenwriter, seriously, study up on the concept of paragraphs

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 25, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by itai195
aberdeenwriter, seriously, study up on the concept of paragraphs
I'll have to give Bill Clinton his props. Trying to please the people and giving them what they want all the time is much tougher than I thought. He just makes it look easy.

Smart guy.

EDIT: Ok, hows that look? Any better, itai195?

saburra.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2006, 09:19 PM

I think it's time the readership knows what you've been up to, invisibleX.

Probably because you wanted to prevent me from sharing the truth on these pages you reported me in another thread. But you didn't report me for anything I said to you, because there was no case of my breaking the rules and you knew it. So, to shut me up you reported me for an innocuous image I posted when talking to another poster!
Hm? I reported you for personally attacking someone. You called my replies personal attacks which they were not. Well you want to get anal about the rules I suppose you should expect the same.

But, in that post you are defending free speech and liberty as though you were one of the defenders at Valley Forge!

Your point being that there is NOTHING that's off limits when it comes to free expression in a democracy. I disagreed, but this is about you.

And speaking of you, here you go again on the subject of free expression. Only, now you are on the OTHER side of the argument. You are saying that expression when it comes to religion is waaay out of line.
Free speech does not include or even relate to discrimination you know. For instance shooting someone is not free speech. Making fun of, demonizing a religion, is not free speech. How dare I say this! If you were such an expert on democracy you'd know it violates other freedoms.

Maybe you could change your account name to Flipper. Or maybe Flopper. Or Kerry. Haha! I'm just kiddin with you. I can see the American system of democracy and freedom and all has you befuddled.

Well, don't feel bad. Many Americans don't get it either.
I don't expect a man with fascist ideas to understand democracy any more than Osama did. You essentially spelled out how we can take a dump on the constitution to protect freedom.

You think it's perfectly fine to say whatever in the world you want to say that might endanger our democracy. But when it comes to expressions against bad taste or insensitivity against religion that's where you draw the line.

The key to making sense of both of these is that they are both matters of judgment, not law.
Our rights and freedoms are not matters of judgement.

Our freedoms of expression ABSOLUTELY DO protect your right to protest and give it up for or against whomever you choose. But to criticize the president during war is dumb and the only people who would do it are those who are dumb or those who wish to bring harm to this government which is sworn to uphold the Constitution.
Freedom of speech is not subject to what you like and don't like. Otherwise it would be "Restriction of Speech". You want that you can go move to china. No one is forcing you to stay. So to protect the constitution you want to violate it? Contradiction. We have every right to protest our government and that includes actions such as declarations of war. Just because the current government does something does not make it immutable. Disagreeing with, or even the current government going out of power, does not stop the war.

In the case of the car dealer it, too, is a matter of judgment. Everyone will have their own opinion about what constitutes TASTEFUL expression or OFFENSIVE expression and so there will be some who find it funny and others who don't and for various reasons on either side of the argument.
It is offensive, it is ignorant, and it generates hate against muslims. None of these things are good, especially at a time when we really don't want to be jerks.

But that it is PROTECTED speech is without question. Just like your bashing Bush.
Got no interest in free speech until its hateful, do you? I don't bash bush actually. Like it or not he's the best man for the current job and I have never said otherwise. Hate speech is not protected. Why is it so damn important that intolerance be protected anyway? If this were related to jews there would be no end of outcry. Inequity.

There is no right which protects against having your feelings hurt. That is where you have to just swallow hard and accept the truth. This is free expression. You keep saying I protest speech that I don't like or that I only support speech that I agree with.
And I keep trying to tell you that's incorrect.
How is this the truth? Its hateful, inflammatory, and down right incorrect.

I'll say it again in a different way.

You are right. I DON'T like the way people bash Bush. But it isn't so much because of what they say, it's because of the effect that these expressions have on foreign audiences.

They do not understand our freedoms just like many of the people here don't have a good grasp of things and so when they see the President being attacked and assailed it gives them the impression that they can successfully mount an attack on us.
Right, you're starting to make sense. After all in many governments if the leader seems weak, coup comes along. However no one is stupid enough to think that this has much of any effect on the military. If you don't know the US has a runaway military budget you probably aren't watching CNN either. If they're as up on us as you think 911 should have taught them that attacking us results in a response. They're lucky the entire ME isn't glass really. But oh no you can say nasty things about our president so we much be weak. I've seen no evidence of this and you can;t conjure up any so...

Whereas, if they saw that no one was criticizing Bush they might conclude that the American people are united behind their leaders and we'd better not try to attack them for we will surely get NO support from the American people. Bin Laden said that when we cut and ran from Somalia he knew that we were cowards and lacked the commitment to see a long duration military conflict through to the end.
He was insulting us, not making a political commentary. He (and apparently you) failed history. Ultimately we have no need to conform to their ideals. If they wish to attack us go ahead. We may die, but they'll learn we aren't cowards.

With that little bit of knowledge he has been able to get us where he wanted us and KNEW we'd eventually get to. We are looking at pulling out of Iraq, cutting and running, just as he said we would. Now, just think of what might have been if we'd had no dissention in this country re: the war. Maybe the people who are loyal to him would have grown uneasy when they saw we were united and maybe they would have begun bashing him so that he might back down from his aggression.
Cut and run! Cut and run! Oh my! Lets see. He may be dead, his organization killed a phenomenally small number of people per capita, and terrorists are no longer able to operate as easy as they once did. His plans are going perfectly! Loyalty to your president won't save you. Live a prisoner or die free. I choose a free death over being forced to support a man. Then again I don't fear death so, take it for what its worth.

We'll never know because we were so adamant about having our freedom to protest. Yes, yes, yes. It is your right to protest. But if you were SMARTER maybe you'd have realized that bashing Bush wasn't the best way to stop the killing. Maybe if OBL had been pushed to the edge by HIS followers they might have quit by now.
Okay, you want security above all else? Run with that. Its foolish, its been the downfall of countless countries, but if you believe it go for it. You think unfaltering support of your president will scare terrorists go ahead. Forget Hitler, forget every fascist, communist, dictator in history. Forget all the events that led up to them. If you want to sacrifice your freedom, your country, for security go ahead. I for one will not now or ever. You can kill me but I'll die a free man like every single person on 9/11.
---------------------------------
Now back to the real subject. Why is it so important that we abuse Islam? You know what Jihad means and you know how everyone associates it with terrorism when that is not what it means. Why is it so hard for you to put yourself in the shoes who have been abused by the terrorists AND us.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 26, 2006, 01:33 AM

Hm? I reported you for personally attacking someone. You called my replies personal attacks which they were not. Well you want to get anal about the rules I suppose you should expect the same.

Free speech does not include or even relate to discrimination you know. For instance shooting someone is not free speech. Making fun of, demonizing a religion, is not free speech. How dare I say this! If you were such an expert on democracy you'd know it violates other freedoms.

I don't expect a man with fascist ideas to understand democracy any more than Osama did. You essentially spelled out how we can take a dump on the constitution to protect freedom.

Our rights and freedoms are not matters of judgement.

Freedom of speech is not subject to what you like and don't like. Otherwise it would be "Restriction of Speech". You want that you can go move to china. No one is forcing you to stay. So to protect the constitution you want to violate it? Contradiction. We have every right to protest our government and that includes actions such as declarations of war. Just because the current government does something does not make it immutable. Disagreeing with, or even the current government going out of power, does not stop the war.

It is offensive, it is ignorant, and it generates hate against muslims. None of these things are good, especially at a time when we really don't want to be jerks.

Got no interest in free speech until its hateful, do you? I don't bash bush actually. Like it or not he's the best man for the current job and I have never said otherwise. Hate speech is not protected. Why is it so damn important that intolerance be protected anyway? If this were related to jews there would be no end of outcry. Inequity.

How is this the truth? Its hateful, inflammatory, and down right incorrect.

Right, you're starting to make sense. After all in many governments if the leader seems weak, coup comes along. However no one is stupid enough to think that this has much of any effect on the military. If you don't know the US has a runaway military budget you probably aren't watching CNN either. If they're as up on us as you think 911 should have taught them that attacking us results in a response. They're lucky the entire ME isn't glass really. But oh no you can say nasty things about our president so we much be weak. I've seen no evidence of this and you can;t conjure up any so...

He was insulting us, not making a political commentary. He (and apparently you) failed history. Ultimately we have no need to conform to their ideals. If they wish to attack us go ahead. We may die, but they'll learn we aren't cowards.

Cut and run! Cut and run! Oh my! Lets see. He may be dead, his organization killed a phenomenally small number of people per capita, and terrorists are no longer able to operate as easy as they once did. His plans are going perfectly! Loyalty to your president won't save you. Live a prisoner or die free. I choose a free death over being forced to support a man. Then again I don't fear death so, take it for what its worth.

Okay, you want security above all else? Run with that. Its foolish, its been the downfall of countless countries, but if you believe it go for it. You think unfaltering support of your president will scare terrorists go ahead. Forget Hitler, forget every fascist, communist, dictator in history. Forget all the events that led up to them. If you want to sacrifice your freedom, your country, for security go ahead. I for one will not now or ever. You can kill me but I'll die a free man like every single person on 9/11.
Now back to the real subject. Why is it so important that we abuse Islam? You know what Jihad means and you know how everyone associates it with terrorism when that is not what it means. Why is it so hard for you to put yourself in the shoes who have been abused by the terrorists AND us.
Sorry if I seem dismissive, but after trying repeatedly to communicate my position you persist in arguing points I don't recognize as being mine.

So, for now, until I go over your seemingly tortured and impassioned post with a strong cup of coffee and a heart full of tolerance and understanding I'll say that the greatest civil liberty there is is the right to live.

All the others are dependent on that one.

You might once in a while maybe give some thought to what and who might be sort of, well, I mean, REALLY trying to kill us. Then the rest of your concerns might gain their proper perspective.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2006, 02:18 AM

If you're drunk and you yell out Jihad it sounds an awful lot like yeeeehaaaa!

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 26, 2006, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by D. S. Troyer
If you're drunk and you yell out Jihad it sounds an awful lot like yeeeehaaaa!
If you're looking for an irony bonanza try this. Imagine two stereotypical rednecks out in a field at night pullin on a bottle of hootch and one of em yells out "yeeeeehaaaaa" and the other redneck interprets his yell as being "JIHAD" and he shoots his buddy.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2006, 12:47 PM

You really should clarify so nobody gets the impression you're some sort of hateful racist.

I never knew that islam was a race.

Glad you pointed that out.

Since you think islam is a race, link please.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 12:14 AM

Sorry if I seem dismissive, but after trying repeatedly to communicate my position you persist in arguing points I don't recognize as being mine.

So, for now, until I go over your seemingly tortured and impassioned post with a strong cup of coffee and a heart full of tolerance and understanding I'll say that the greatest civil liberty there is is the right to live.

All the others are dependent on that one.

You might once in a while maybe give some thought to what and who might be sort of, well, I mean, REALLY trying to kill us. Then the rest of your concerns might gain their proper perspective.
Perhaps if you could present an idea in paragraphs and under 2 pages I'd be able to reply to it in a more concise manner.

We all die. Frankly I don't care if its when I'm 100 in my sleep or tomorrow by a terrorist. I'll take freedom over security any day.

I don't want to get into another one of these paranoid nutso games of "pin the tail on the fear". If you think someone wants us all dead, wants to enslave us, wants to dress us up in pigtails just say who. You seem to be bursting at the seams with this privileged knowledge so just spit it out without all these nonsense metaphors and analogies.

Anyway, I'm done. I have continually put forth my idea, my points, and detailed it to the last bit. You haven't put forth yours. I'll simplify things: Who is the threat. What should be done about it. With these two questions answered MAYBE it will clear up why you feel so strongly about some of the, ahem, things you've stated.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 12:16 AM

I never knew that islam was a race.

Glad you pointed that out.

Since you think islam is a race, link please.
Never said they were.

"..prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race.."

Now tell me why this is only valid in the context of race.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2006, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Taliesin

Taliesin
Cincinnati Ohio is in Japan? Wow. I've been to Japan.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2006, 12:17 AM

Well I would be upset with the phallic shaped pops But that is a bit different now isn't it?

That goes into the pedophile realm.

Muslims are not a race silly.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2006, 12:22 AM

Never said they were.

"..prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race.."

Because it says "Race" right there.

I bolded it for you. That is why the word is called "racism"

The term you are looking for is bigot.

A prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles or identities differing from their own.

And we have all been a little bigoted in here soo....

I apologize to those I have been bigoted to.

Ok, you next.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 27, 2006, 12:45 AM

Perhaps if you could present an idea in paragraphs and under 2 pages I'd be able to reply to it in a more concise manner.

We all die. Frankly I don't care if its when I'm 100 in my sleep or tomorrow by a terrorist. I'll take freedom over security any day.

I don't want to get into another one of these paranoid nutso games of "pin the tail on the fear". If you think someone wants us all dead, wants to enslave us, wants to dress us up in pigtails just say who. You seem to be bursting at the seams with this privileged knowledge so just spit it out without all these nonsense metaphors and analogies.

Anyway, I'm done. I have continually put forth my idea, my points, and detailed it to the last bit. You haven't put forth yours. I'll simplify things: Who is the threat. What should be done about it. With these two questions answered MAYBE it will clear up why you feel so strongly about some of the, ahem, things you've stated.
Please tell us you aren't planning a guaranteed vacation with 72 new friends in paradise.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 27, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin

A prejudiced person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles or identities differing from their own.

Ok, you next.
Me too. I apologize to those I have been bigoted to.

Like Kevin says, invisibleX...

You next.

Mark Larr
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 27, 2006, 08:36 AM

Never said they were.

Umm, you might want to go back and re-read your post.

Yes you did say islam is a race.

Are you being obtuse on purpose or are you just retarded?

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 10:38 AM

Umm, you might want to go back and re-read your post.

Yes you did say islam is a race.

Are you being obtuse on purpose or are you just retarded?
No, I didn't. I said people would call you a racist. I did not however say muslims were a race.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin

Ok, you next.
I've yet to hear why being intolerant towards islam is fine but towards jews it isn't. Deny the holocaust and you're denounced as a loon. Imply all muslims are terrorists and thats just dandy.

Right, least someone can read. If you remove the "race" what do you have? Oh just bigotry? Well no biggie there. This isn't group therapy, read the OP please.

marden  (op)
Baninated
Sep 27, 2006, 11:21 AM

I've yet to hear why being intolerant towards islam is fine but towards jews it isn't. Deny the holocaust and you're denounced as a loon. Imply all muslims are terrorists and thats just dandy.

Right, least someone can read. If you remove the "race" what do you have? Oh just bigotry? Well no biggie there. This isn't group therapy, read the OP please.
It is NOT ok to want to persecute and kill Jews, particularly because of their jewishness.

And to help you out a bit more, there are 2.1 billion Christians on Earth. If 5% of them hated Muslims because they are Muslim and if that 5% wanted to kill ALL Muslims and take all their land and make all their nations Christian and no one could tell who those 5% were at any point in time and for all you know some of the posters here were some of those 5 percenters and the moderate Christians did nothing to try to stop those 5%, tell me you would not be nervous.

Of course you'd be nervous!

Because you are whining and crying NOW even though Christians pose no threat to you. So, take my advice and join our side or stfu.
( Last edited by marden; Sep 27, 2006 at 11:29 AM. )

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 11:32 AM

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?"

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=invisibleX]
Jews are made fun of all the time.

They can be offended all they want. Nobody has a right to not be offended. Those offended can also use their freedom of speech to respond and riducule those who they feel offended them. See, it all makes for a little bit of levity except that those who don't enjoy life in the first place can't appreciate a little bit of levity and to them it is grounds for causing mayhem and random acts of murder. What are "moderate Muslims" anyways? Is that kind of like the Lock ness monster and bigfoot? Everybody has heard of Them, everyone talks about them, but nobody has ever actually seen them.

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 05:02 PM

[QUOTE=invisibleX]

Denial of the holocaust makes one a loon because there is ample evidence and documention that it took place because one of the things the Nazis were good at is at impecable record keeping. Ordinary Germans were taken on tours of the concentration camps after the war to see for themselves what took place. Nazi guards and such admitted to the atrocities. As far as implying that all muslims are terrorists, I haven't ever heard or seen that. I'm sure there are those that are not true practitioners of Islam who do unequivocally condemn what terrorists do, but it's pretty hard to believe in such a thing as "moderate muslims" when they refuse to. The best I've ever seen is a moral equivelance made between them and us in order to make a point that all killing is wrong.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 05:11 PM

Edit: On second thought, I'd rather not get involved in this discussion

DLQ2006
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2006, 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=invisibleX]Hm?

So we are not suppose to fight them or poke fun at them? So no bombs, no missiles, and absolutely no jokes! Gosh, what is there left? Oh yea, I know...........love, understanding and tolerance.

I'm sorry but the path to 72 virgins and all the other crap Mohammad made up is just such fertile grounds for ridicule to pick only radical Islamic extremists to be the one group above being mocked. Those that are not extremists have no reason to feel offended. Those that do feel offended, welcome to the real world. Why should they be the one group of people above being ridiculed when they are also the one group that makes it so painfully easy? While young American boys are playing football and chasing girls, young islamic extremist males are making pilgramages to mecca to bloody themselves with chains and the fast burners get advanced training to learn how to do things like self-implode around women and children. That makes them a prime target and the fact that they are such poor sports about it makes it all that much more irresistable.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 27, 2006, 07:33 PM

I don't think ANYONE here has said calling ALL Muslims terrorists was fine. Some have said it in a tongue and cheek jokey way. But then again, I haven't been around MacNN that much lately.
I was just pointing out, no one here is innocent of such things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules