Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How did you decide: MBP or MB?

View Poll Results: Which do you recommend: MB or MBP?
Poll Options:
MacBook 38 votes (71.70%)
MacBook Pro 10 votes (18.87%)
Both; why limit yourself? 4 votes (7.55%)
G4-'book 1 votes (1.89%)
Why a notebook? 1 votes (1.89%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll
How did you decide: MBP or MB?
zanyterp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2006, 01:53 AM

For those of you who purchased an MB, what made you decide to get the MB rather than the MBP? I am in a position to be able to get one or the other in the next few months and am trying to decide between the two. (Sorry if this is a repeat, I did look and couldn't find anything similar.)

I see the following pros/cons for each:

MB:
black (yeah!)
cheaper
integrated graphics (undecided....planning on using boot camp or parallels, but not sure if the graphics card makes a difference at that point; probably very few games).

MBP:
backlit keyboard (yeah!)
express card for expansion
dedicated GPU

am i missing something between the two?

thanks!
some people are like slinkys: they don't do much, but are fun to push down stairs.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2006, 02:15 AM

Hey,

Well I just fell in love with the looks of the MacBook the day it was released. Of course price was the deciding factor also, since I am still a student. But anyhow, I didn't really need any of the added features of the MBP. The backlit keyboard is a great feature, but I've been a touch typist throughout, so I really didn't need it.

The integrated graphics of the MB were still better than my Intel 915GM based ThinkPad T43, so I was upgrading. Plus I don't do any graphics intensive work, and no games either. So that again was something I didn't REALLY need.

I did contemplate about the ExpressCard slot for a while, but I figured if I never used the slot for 2 years on the ThinkPad, not much is gonna change. Plus I could always get a USB based ExpressCard reader to get around that. Also, I didn't want to lug around a 15.4" or 17" laptop around campus, so the MB was the natural choice for me.

Of course it depends what you are going to use the 'Book for. If you do any video editing or such I would recommend you go for the MBP. Otherwise the MB is a stellar laptop with pretty much nothing lacking.

Originally Posted by zanyterp
For those of you who purchased an MB, what made you decide to get the MB rather than the MBP? I am in a position to be able to get one or the other in the next few months and am trying to decide between the two. (Sorry if this is a repeat, I did look and couldn't find anything similar.)

I see the following pros/cons for each:

MB:
black (yeah!)
cheaper
integrated graphics (undecided....planning on using boot camp or parallels, but not sure if the graphics card makes a difference at that point; probably very few games).

MBP:
backlit keyboard (yeah!)
express card for expansion
dedicated GPU

am i missing something between the two?

thanks!

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 03:43 AM

1) Price - no way was I going to shell out a lot more for a very similar laptop...

2) Design - I personally think the MBP design is very dated, its been around for a long time, and it bores me. Also, its much less durable than the MB.

3) Size - Coming from a 12" iBook, personally, I could do with the MB being a bit smaller and lighter, so there was no way I would buy an even larger MBP, even if I had the cash...
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Nivag
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 04:35 AM

I didn't need the dedicated GPU, so I had no reason to buy the MBP. the ExpressCard slot would of been nice, but i'll just have to get a 3G phone a pair them via Bluetooth.

Plus I preferred the smaller size of the MB to carry around, i've got a bigger screen at home to use and i had a Pismo before so it had to be the black one as a replacement.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 07:34 AM

size. if the MBP had a 13" screen I woulda' bought that. Oh and it has to come in black!

Jason
Jun 25, 2006, 08:56 AM

I'm in the same position. I can get a refurbished MBP 1.8 for the same price as a black MB. Even though im a student, so technically The MB would be cheaper since i cant get any more of a discount on the MBP refurb, but I think that the best 'bang for my buck' is in the refurb. And I also think i will more than likely get use out of the dedicated graphics, because i plan to get rid of my PC and use the MBP as my main computer. A MBP as a desktop replacement will probably meet my needs more than a MB.

But if you have a desktop machine then the MB is a great choice, a mate of mine has a pretty decent P4, and he recently brought a MB (1.8) so he can take it to school, and do work while he is on the train and whatnot.

Also, if I cant get a refurbished MBP there is no way ill be paying full price for one, so then ill have to go for the MB! and I would probably go a white one, and load that sucker up with ram! =)
"Amidst all the hype of modern design and computers, we have remained true by generating the majority of our designs by hand, viewing the computer as a tool and not letting it dictate our designs." - Ames Design.

Macola
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 01:35 PM

Size: I was waiting for a 12" or similar MBP, but it didn't happen, so I settled for the MB. The 15" MBP is far too bulky for me. It all depends on your needs and where you're willing to compromise.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Thraxes
Jun 25, 2006, 06:17 PM

I like to game but haven't upped my main system in almost two years and a replacement / upgrade is due and I have the cash.

The iBook was great but I now need something with more POWAAH (analysing H264 streams) and the ability to run windows at native speeds for some coding.

So I am now getting both wishes at once... A mac laptop, runs windows and Linux aswell and can game pretty well in Windows: Gotta be a MBP. I can now go to work, uni and LAN Partys all with one and the same machine. Delivery date forecasted is this Tuesday... can't wait
15" MBP - 2.16 - 2GB - 120GB + 500GB External
Backup: Athlon XP2200+ - 1GB - 600GB
MythTV DVR: Intel PIII-500 MHz - 384MB - 60GB

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2006, 08:29 PM

Mostly size. I had a 12" PowerBook and was hoping for something as small. The MacBook was as close as possible. Performance-wise, you get probably 90%+ of the MBP performance for nearly half the price (except for 3d-heavy apps or things like Aperture). Unless you're a big time gamer you probably won't notice the lower perf of the integrated graphics. Just remember to upgrade the memory to at least 1GB.

Star-Fire
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 25, 2006, 08:32 PM

Actually I have to say Aperture runs pretty dang good on the Macbook, I had a MBP, but it was as hot as a toster, while I did like the larger screen I will wait till the next update hopefully with a merom chip and get that one and sell the Macbook.
MacBook Pro 2.5 with 4 GB Ram, 250 GB 5400RPM, iMac 20" Intel Dual Core 2.0 with 2 GB Ram
http://star-fire.deviantart.com/gallery/

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
Actually I have to say Aperture runs pretty dang good on the Macbook, I had a MBP, but it was as hot as a toster, while I did like the larger screen I will wait till the next update hopefully with a merom chip and get that one and sell the Macbook.
Yeah, I think I may do that also. My MacBook was my first Mac and I looove it, but I need a bigger screen. The reason I didn't go with a MBP was because it sounds like there are more problems with them compared to the MB.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2006, 09:59 PM

Yeah, people are still having problems with their MBPs and they've been out for what, 7 months? I really love my MacBook, warts and all. (The grey palm rest lifts up a little bit a few places, the right side of the trackpad isn't as responsive as the left, the thing moos every now and then). Otherwise, the camera and PhotoBooth have served its purpose at many a drunken party and at work this thing on Parallels runs circles around the PC provided by my company. Love it! Best Mac portable I've ever had (I've had 6).

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2006, 12:37 AM

Who on earth voted for a G4 book? I wouldn't reccommend one of those to anyone..
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

aristobrat
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Star-Fire
Woah, that's exactly what my plan was.

Went thru 3 MBPs trying to find one that didn't make my hands uncomfortably hot when using the keyboard a lot. Ended up getting a refund and buying a MB.

I thought I'd "slum along" with the MB (weaker graphics, no lighted keyboard, smaller screen) and sell it when Apple started making cooler MBPs, but a week or two after buying the MB, I'm *totally* in love with it.

I doubt I'll jump on the next version of MBPs. That's how (unexpectedly) satisfied with my MB I am.

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2006, 02:11 PM

Well, my 800 mHz iBook I purchased (for free thanks to ex-Gov. Davis) my second year broke three times in one month and Apple was kind enough to offer me low-specd Macbook as a replacement (with a free 1GB RAM upgrade). I opted to spend $150 upgrading the HD and Processors to 100GB and 2GHz respectively. I thought spending $5-600 on a Pro would be money well spent, especially considering the video card would be more than able to play newer games. But two things held me back: The Aluminum casing, which from many of my friends' and family members' experiences, is prone to denting with normal use (and fixing such dents are surprisingly expensive...think $600), and its a bit too large for my usage. My old iBook, despite the fact that was kept in both a WF sleeve and in the padded portion of my backpack, exhibited damage due to the pressure created between my back and books. As such, I was reluctant to get the aluminum clad Macbook pro.

other than that, the MBP is a wonderful computer and if I didn't take it everywhere with me, I would have most likely bought one.

SPICE has been the one program I wish I was able to run in my last four years of college as no OS X client exists...and now that I finally can, it is a shame that none of my remaining classes will require it. Oh well, I'll never run into that problem again.

I can't wait to replace my Dual 867 with a quadcore based machine when I get out of school...but that will be a while, since the machine has been wonderfully cooperative and thanks to Apple's sequential OS updates, is much faster than the day I purchased it.
( Last edited by DBvader; Jun 26, 2006 at 02:17 PM. )
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

Case
Jun 28, 2006, 02:48 AM

I'm ordering my Macbook, base model, 80HD, and a Incase sleeve next week! Cant wait!

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2006, 02:53 PM

My reasons:
1. Size -- I let go of my PowerBook 12". Size and weight are more important factors to me.
2. Price -- I couldn't justify the price difference for the work that I do (no longer as demanding)
3. Specs -- It was more than enough, integrated video and all

masugu
Senior User
Jul 1, 2006, 05:24 PM

Yup. As long as you are not into gaming....MB is Grrrrrreat!
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

Forum Links
Forum Rules