Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > internal modem for g4

internal modem for g4
altivec
May 31, 2000, 03:53 AM

i'm wondering if the internal modem for the g4 is the same as the one in b&w g3 tower...

i ordered my agp g4 without the internal modem and it seems like i need one now. i looked up ebay and people were only auction-ing off internal modems from a g3 b&w tower... does anyone know if that would work on the g4?

i don't know if this was a weird dream, but i think i read a article SOMEWHERE, about the g4 having a new and faster internal modem compared to the other PCI g4 (which would be the same as b&w g3). something about the g4 took advantage of the faster motherboard and i don't remember exactly so if anyone has some info, it will be greatly thankful.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 31, 2000, 08:52 AM

zap yer PRAM and reinstall the OS first

it's gotta be a USB issue

(that's a JOKE, OK?)

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-31-2000).]

yanokwa
May 31, 2000, 10:16 AM

only 2 modems work with the g4. the apple modem for the g4 and the usb modems (teleport usb 56k). i have the teleport, and frankly it aint all that great. it holds the line on sleep and shut down--making all incoming calls hear a busy tone. thank god dsl comes in 5 days...
the answer to your question is no
"It said Windows 2000 or higher, so I bought a Mac..."

altivec  (op)
May 31, 2000, 10:26 PM

thanks, helpful moderator. i only come here to listen to others of same status, for there will not be any discrimination from them.

------------------

FOR THOSE HAVING TROUBLES, SUSPECT nearly ANYTHING unless you are a certified psychic and a computer scientist...

[This message has been edited by altivec (edited 05-31-2000).]

[This message has been edited by altivec (edited 05-31-2000).]

GarethT
Jun 12, 2000, 09:02 AM

I think the internal modem used on the G3's and early G4's is not the same as the one used in current G4's.

I bought a "Stealth Serial Port", but it was designed to replace the internal modem on a G3 or early G4, and could not be made to fit my newer G4. Different connection, location, size, etc.

I didn't know you could get a G4 without an internal modem...

Anyway, the internal modem is not so hot. It seems very sensitive to line conditions.

I have a Mac clone at my office which uses a USB modem, and which connects at 46000+ every time. My G4 at home uses the same ISP, but never connects at better than 26000. I took the USB modem home and tried it on the G4, and got fast connections maybe 30% of the time. I attribute the problem to poor lines, and I think the G4 internal modem is very fussy.

Lazarus
Jun 12, 2000, 12:03 PM

For these 2 modem, yes they are realy different, the G4 have the same modem as the powerbook G3 firewire... (it's realy small = )

Lazarus
Jun 12, 2000, 12:07 PM

To give my opinion about the internal G4's modem, it's realy a good device, I often download at 7k/sec (up to 11k/sec)... you would say it's modem compression?? no, I usualy download compressed files.... anyway doing 7k/sec for 7 hours il a good fact I think.. no???

andawei
Jun 12, 2000, 05:54 PM

Having worked at the Senior Tech support Rep at Global Village I must tell you that the modems are different. Apple is the only source for an internal modem for the G4s. You can go the external USB modem (but make sure you download the latest script from the GV site if you purchase a GV modem, Boca is still making modems under the GV brand name.
Originally posted by altivec:
i'm wondering if the internal modem for the g4 is the same as the one in b&w g3 tower...

i ordered my agp g4 without the internal modem and it seems like i need one now. i looked up ebay and people were only auction-ing off internal modems from a g3 b&w tower... does anyone know if that would work on the g4?

i don't know if this was a weird dream, but i think i read a article SOMEWHERE, about the g4 having a new and faster internal modem compared to the other PCI g4 (which would be the same as b&w g3). something about the g4 took advantage of the faster motherboard and i don't remember exactly so if anyone has some info, it will be greatly thankful.

Arthur M. Kent
Jun 13, 2000, 01:10 AM

>> I bought a "Stealth Serial Port", but it was designed to replace the internal modem on a G3 or early G4, and could not be made to fit my newer G4. Different connection, location, size, etc. <<

I purchased a "later" G4/500MHz Build To Order machine from Club Mac back in March, without an internal modem I also purchased a Stealth Serial Port AGP, and it works perfectly with my External US Robotics 56K Sportster Modem.

nicolasd
Jun 13, 2000, 08:23 AM

Two data points here. 1) I set up a G4 for someone with a PCI model using a system build from an AGP model. The modem then did not work. To get the modem working again, she had to do a clean install with the PCI's combination Install/Restore disc. (The AGP models put these on separate discs.) 2) If you use the Tome Viewer utility to look at a standard OS9 install disc, you'll see two entries. One for G4 PCI modem and one for G4 AGP modem, although if you try and do a custom install, you don't notice any added files with those names. (e.g. if they are different extensions, Apple doesn't change their names).

Forum Links
Forum Rules