Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook (Dual USB) PowerPC G3 Processor

iBook (Dual USB) PowerPC G3 Processor
LeonThePro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:34 PM

Hi, guys. I am one of those who still read "Mhz" as the basis for power. I have been a long-time Intel fan. But my further reading on PowerPC processors show that they can perform better multiple computation. Which is why I finally jumped and purchased an iceBook and TiBook.

I am just curious, though, cos I know this is true for PowerPC G4 processors that they have their Alti-Vec feature to perform mulitple computations despite having low Mhz.

But, what do PowerPC G3 processors have especially since they have WAY low Mhz rating compared with Celeron and Pentium speeds?

I would like to know what to answer to my friends who are Intel fans when they ask me why I purchased a Mac.

Anyone can also post links to tests for either PowerPC G3 (especially tests using the iceBook 500Mhz) and PowerPC G4 (TiBook 400/500MHZ) COMPARING these with the current Celeron and Pentium III and 4.

Thanks!

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2001, 11:40 PM

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 11:47 PM

http://homepage.mac.com/nopea1/benchmark/
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=...811238&cid=318

try that for a start

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Duo
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 11:50 PM

The new ibook doesn't do that bad, its not a pro machine. Atleast I don't think of it as one. Plus it has a 66mhz bus, I wish Apple made it a 100mhz.

neoapple
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2001, 11:51 PM

I am a PC convert myself and one could go into detail as to why a G3/G4 is better than intel crap but it's best put like this. I had a 300mhz PII back in the day and we used Macs in school. I went from the kid saying Macs suck (we were using out of date stuff) to the guy hogging the loaded B&W G3. That was before there was a G4. The PowerPC G3 is risc which has it's advantages, then when you factor in how kick ass it handles multimedia. You don't need benchmarks! You feel the difference. The PC sh*t I sell now (@ a store that ryhmes w/ Rest Die) doesn't compare. The best machine we have is a Sony Vaio w/ P4 1.5G. A G4 would kill it.

Just for you info the first P4s we sold were sent back because they melted!

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2001, 11:57 PM

hi, xyber233...thanks for the links...that was a fast reply.

When I checked-out the links, I was concentrating on the G3-500 and G4-500. Hmm.

First, I think the iceBook was a good investment because with regards to it's price vs. performance which it is also able to give.

Now, with regards to the G4-500, since they were comparing desktops I can only cringe when I see how the TiBook might perform against P3 and P4. These Intel processors do perform nicely AND they weren't even in Dual-processor configurations.

But PowerPC Processors do KICK-ASS because they can compare well with the current Intel processors with high Mhz speeds as against the 500/533Mhz of IBM. I do hope they can level in Mhz in the near future so people will know how POWERFUL these PowerPC processors really are.

In terms of laptops, the TiBook should outperform any available Intel notebook. Right? I hope so....

What about new tests with these notebooks equipped with the Intel 1GHz vs. PowerPC G4 500Mhz TiBook?

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2001, 11:59 PM

I went from the kid saying Macs suck ...
hey! you too? did you ever smash a mac plus with a baseball bat? not like i ever did

i will never buy another Wintel PC ever again....if i have to use a mac SE/30 .....then so be it.

Just for you info the first P4s we sold were sent back because they melted!
Glorious!! ha ha ha ha i love it

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: gumby5647 ]
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

neoapple
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 12:01 AM

Since my Compaq PII 300mhz nightmare I have been the proud owner of a Duo 2300c (custom black paint job), Snow iMac (sold...thanks eBay), a G4 (sold), and currently awaiting my DVD iBook (reminds me of my lovely Snow iMac).

PC are boring by comparision. Benchmarks don't matter. Macs are just faster and more efficent all around for my usage.

As for the 66mhz bus thing. I had a Apple Service guy, that I had a long talk about many a Apple long gone, say that the 66mhz bus on the ibook would be "no big deal" the thing flys any how. I agree.

LeonThePro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 12:11 AM

gumby5647, thanks for the link. But, they do prove that Intel processors are faster. But, as seen on xyber233's posts, that's also because of their low Mhz feature right now. As I said, despite having low Mhz, they can still perform along side the Intel Ghz processors. Oh, well.

Duo, you're right. It's not a Pro machine. I love my iceBook for what it is. And in terms of cost, it's a steal.

neoapple...hahaha, the P4 processors melted! I was actually choosing between a Sony laptop because IMHO they were the ones that came close to the features and design of the Apple laptops. I still went for a Mac. Yahoo!

neoapple
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 12:15 AM

Good thing too. Sony makes the best PCs w/o a doubt. Yet they still don't compare to a Macs look, feel, OS, and processor. Trust me I've compared. Yet a Vaio is a decent 2nd place to a Mac.

sessamoid
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 02:04 AM

God, don't even bring up barefeats. This guy is the troll of the Mac world. He picks benchmarks specifically that work much better on Macs only, and his test systems are grossly unbalanced in favor of the Macs. The results you linked to had all the macs with a minimum of three times the memory that any of the windows systems did. That alone would skew the benchmarks ridiculously.

OreoCookie
Jun 7, 2001, 02:38 AM

Raw processing power isn't the only thing - the ease of use is really important.
I own a PowerBook G3 and even things like Photoshop and Quark Xpress run fast. I have worked on an Athlon 600 for some time, using it to modify photos. Other than the slow harddrive (inherent problem to any laptop, no matter if PC or PowerBook since they use the same), I couldn't feel any difference!
Of course, if you just browse the internet or write mails, who needs so much power. In my opinion, if you get a mobile computer, battery life and such things are as important as speed. Show me a PC notebook that does approximately 4-4.5 hours of work with *one* battery and similar weight!
In the Spec-Suite, e. g. the Pentium IV is blasting most of the competitors away, but in real life, it is just expensive (RAM) and not as fast as you'd expect.
So, in my opinion, check it out, and if *you* think, it is fast enough for your work, then go ahead and buy it!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

eTard
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2001, 01:01 PM

Check out the latest Macworld at your local magazine stand this month. there are articles on MHz (this very issue) and the iBook and some comparisons. Very timely issue.
eTard.....don't be one

Friends don't let friends be an eTard

Forum Links
Forum Rules