Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > USB prevents the startup

USB prevents the startup
P
Jul 3, 2000, 03:13 AM

Just got myself an iSub, and while the sound is great, the iMac wouldn't start-up with it in (I plugged it in while the machine was on). It seemed that it couldn't find the system on the HD - the HD spun up, but slowede again.

After trying a few different things, I discovered that I could make it boot if I removed any one USB unit - in my case, the puck mouse that was only plugged in to play practical joke on people borrowing my computer (I have a Logitech Mouseman for my othe work).

So plugged in right now is:
the keyboard
the Logitech mouse
a powered 4-port hub
the iSub
a game controller
a Keyspan PDA adapter

If I plug in the puck mouse, it won't boot. I can still plug it in when the machine is on, though.

Any ideas?

Oh yeah, some more data btw:

iMac DV/ 192 MB RAM
MacOS 9.0.4
Firmware 2.4 (ie updated)

[This message has been edited by P (edited 07-03-2000).]
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

yanokwa
Jul 3, 2000, 05:06 PM

dude, the power is being drained from the imac on start up. buy a powered hub dude.
"It said Windows 2000 or higher, so I bought a Mac..."

P  (op)
Jul 3, 2000, 05:10 PM

It _is_ a powered Hub. Never mind, I figured it out myself: Zapping the Pram cured the problem.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules