Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" alubook rejects DVD-R!!

17" alubook rejects DVD-R!!
dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2004, 05:12 AM

oh man. i bought a bunch of DVD-Rs recently to burn a couple of backups, but the superdrive in my powerbook keeps spitting 'em out again without recognizing them (after some grinding around)!! first i thought, okay the media were probably cheap crap ... but the superdrive in my G5 recognizes them just fine without a hitch!

what�s the deal here? is my superdrive probably defective? its an alubook 1.33 (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-816) ...
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 06:44 AM

Try some different sorts of media in it. Get a pack of Apple discs to be really certain - Apple won't be able to argue with you if you've tried their own discs.

Different drives are happy with different brands of discs. It'll be great when we don't need to be cautious about this sort of thing.

Good luck.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 10:11 AM

I will only use Apple disks now...

By chance, does these disks have a whire RW on them....Maybe somewhere in the corner of the brand?
Who reads this???

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2004, 11:13 AM

Buy Apple media. If they work fine, it's your media - throw them out, even if they seem to work in your desktop. Cheap media is very unreliable.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2004, 11:28 AM

The superdrive in the g5 and the slot loading "superdrive" in the 17" albook are two totally different beasts. They're even made by different companies, so there's no correlation between media working in one drive and media working in the other.

It's probably the media brand that's the problem. I've had no problems using apple dvd-r (samsung?), samsung, and tdk. I had one coaster with compusa brand media but the other 9 were good.

dr. zoidberg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2004, 03:41 PM

well, thanks for your feedback everyone ... i�ll definitely try other some brands. you know i had that blind patriotic kind of trust into the quality of those media, since they were made in austria (where i come from) ... but anyway. let�s rather turn to the well-proven eastern manufacturers.
( Last edited by dr. zoidberg; Feb 5, 2004 at 03:47 PM. )
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

dr. zoidberg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2004, 12:45 PM

i succeeded in burning a couple of those dvds on my G5 ... also, they prove themselves readable on the powerbook after burning. still i will make sure not to backup any critical data on that category of dvd-rs.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2004, 01:35 PM

I use CompUsa DVD-R with great resuts but DVD-RW is a different story. Memorex is no good with my PB superdrive, was only able to get 1 to work, so I heard Maxell DVD-RW is good. Idunno, the search goes on.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

dr. zoidberg  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2004, 01:04 PM

heh, i have the answer now. the media i have bought were DVD+R, not DVD-R. i learned only recently that there is some kind of difference. i just bought DVD-Rs from the same brand, and voil�, they are recognized just fine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules