Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > i made a cpu speed menu extra for PBs

i made a cpu speed menu extra for PBs
ul1984
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 02:58 AM

it lets you change the processor speed that you normally do in Energy Saver (highest/automatic/reduced)

EDIT:
new version, been a few months since i touched this, but i updated it today, i fixed the lag when opening the menu

btw, could someone with access to a G5 please give this version a try, and tell me if it works or not.

note: only tested on my own 15" 1.25
cpuPerformance-0.6.1b.menu.tar.bz2

Requires MenuCracker or probably Menu Extra Enabler(ive only tested it with MenuCracker)
( Last edited by ul1984; Apr 23, 2004 at 01:39 AM. )

bamchum
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 07:32 AM

Hey, that's handy!

Thanks a lot!

nsxpower
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2004, 09:19 AM

Thats great. I always wondered why Apple made us have to go into the preference pane just to change present power management settings (insted of a drop down menu from battery icon). Excellent!
My Blog & Photos
PowerBook (Ti) 1Ghz � 1Gb � 60Gb � SD

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2004, 11:05 AM

Cool thanks. I'll have to see if this works on my 12 inch. Thanks for the App.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by ul1984:
(to get it to work on G5 towers i need the output of "pmset -g disk"(run that from in terminal) from a G5 owner)
I'll run that on my G5 when I go home for lunch in a few minutes, and give you the output.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 01:20 PM

Here you go:

AC Power:
womp 1
dps 1
dim 25
reduce 0
autorestart 0
spindown 0
powerbutton 1
sleep 0
acwake 0
ring 0

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2004, 04:50 PM

Thanks man!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

sworthy
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2004, 11:15 PM

cool, very useful indeed

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 12:05 AM

yw everyone, hope it works good, if you find any bugs please tell me about them

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by jasonsRX7:
Here you go:

AC Power:
womp 1
dps 1
dim 25
reduce 0
autorestart 0
spindown 0
powerbutton 1
sleep 0
acwake 0
ring 0
Thanks a lot, ive tried to make it G5 compatible using that data, i have no way of testing it myself tho, so it may not work at all..

if you want to try it: http://w1.605.telia.com/~u60527006/c...-0.4b.menu.zip

note this 0.4 version doesnt add any new features for PowerBook owners

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 13, 2004, 08:22 PM

Mmm nice. The icon can be improved though, I think menu extras feel better if they are grayscale.

Also I use a PowerBook G4 12" revision A, and these ones don't use the "Automatic" setting, yet I seem able to select it. It should be greyed out.

And if you can find how to code brightness level (related to energy saver settings), or are you just doing a front end for that command line utility?

Last, but not least interesting, ever thought about releasing this as open source so others (like me) can take a peek and even help on development?

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2004, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Mmm nice. The icon can be improved though, I think menu extras feel better if they are grayscale.

Also I use a PowerBook G4 12" revision A, and these ones don't use the "Automatic" setting, yet I seem able to select it. It should be greyed out.

And if you can find how to code brightness level (related to energy saver settings), or are you just doing a front end for that command line utility?

Last, but not least interesting, ever thought about releasing this as open source so others (like me) can take a peek and even help on development?
Yea the icon isnt too good, but im no icon artist, and i didnt have lots of time, i just wanted to at least have an icon..

hmm didnt know the PB 12 rev A didnt have automatic, as i said its only been tested on my own PowerBook..

i have no idea how to change brightness level, and i reanlly didnt feel there was any need for it either, cus i can change brightness so easy with the brightness keys on my keyboard, and yea its just using that command line utility to make changes..

i could release it as open source, what i need to know first, how does these licenses work, does it need like a GPL license? or could i release it without a license? would suit me best if i could just post the source here directly, lol

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2004, 01:42 AM

eevyl, a question about your PowerBook model, if you do a "pmset -g disk"

is it just like this:

Code:
Battery Power: dps 0 dim 3 reduce 1 autorestart 0 spindown 10 sleep 15 acwake 0 lidwake 1 ring 0 AC Power: womp 0 dps 0 dim 180 reduce 0 autorestart 0 spindown 0 sleep 0 acwake 0 lidwake 1 ring 0
but without the "dps" lines? dps is the automatic mode

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2004, 02:10 AM

Yeah, something to automatically drop my screen brightness to a specified percentage while on battery would rock!

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

ghotirking
Feb 14, 2004, 03:33 AM

i could release it as open source, what i need to know first, how does these licenses work, does it need like a GPL license? or could i release it without a license? would suit me best if i could just post the source here directly, lol [/B]
Here's a good place to start, the Open Source Initiative License page
Depending on what you want done with your code:
In a nutshell, the L/GPL says anybody can do what they want with the source, but if they make any changes they also have to release the source code.
The BSD License says, basically, do what you want with the code, you don't have to release it, but you do have to keep the original author's copyright/information in it. (it's a good one for businesses, just ask Apple )
The biggest determining factor in your case is the type of license the command line utility you're using has (probably GPL or BSD would be my guess).

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2004, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by ghotirking:
Here's a good place to start, the Open Source Initiative License page
Depending on what you want done with your code:
In a nutshell, the L/GPL says anybody can do what they want with the source, but if they make any changes they also have to release the source code.
The BSD License says, basically, do what you want with the code, you don't have to release it, but you do have to keep the original author's copyright/information in it. (it's a good one for businesses, just ask Apple )
The biggest determining factor in your case is the type of license the command line utility you're using has (probably GPL or BSD would be my guess).
hmm im not bundling that command line utility with my menu extra, im just running it from within my menuextra, pmset comes with the OS...

ghotirking
Feb 14, 2004, 07:59 AM

hmm im not bundling that command line utility with my menu extra, im just running it from within my menuextra, pmset comes with the OS...
Oh, well, then I guess you can use any license ya want!
Go for something like the L/GPL...that way if somebody improves/changes your code to add functionality, you (and anybody else) can download it and see what they did

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 12:34 AM

You should go with a BSD liscence.
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

Bouba
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2004, 12:39 AM

Question:

why are you switching between consumption modes???

why aren't you just switching between presets made in the energy preference pane?

The latter would be more flexible.. and you could include presets like "slide show" which will prevent the computer to go to shut down the screen after 5 minutes... (this is bad when the projector keeps loosing signal!)

Could you put an entry like: Spin down the HD?

this would be amazing... like the missing menu from apple (it was a control stripe module...)
...happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2004, 10:21 AM

Originally posted by Bouba:
Question:

why are you switching between consumption modes???

why aren't you just switching between presets made in the energy preference pane?

The latter would be more flexible.. and you could include presets like "slide show" which will prevent the computer to go to shut down the screen after 5 minutes... (this is bad when the projector keeps loosing signal!)

Could you put an entry like: Spin down the HD?

this would be amazing... like the missing menu from apple (it was a control stripe module...)
hmm mainly because thats what i needed myself, i never use any presets, the presets arent customizable.

one thing that would be possible, is making like a prefpane where u could create ure own presets, and then those presets would show up in the menu extra.... but thats ALOT of work, compared to this.. the reason i made this was because i found myself switching between highest and reduced pretty often..

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2004, 01:01 PM

hmm mainly because thats what i needed myself, i never use any presets, the presets arent customizable.

one thing that would be possible, is making like a prefpane where u could create ure own presets, and then those presets would show up in the menu extra.... but thats ALOT of work, compared to this.. the reason i made this was because i found myself switching between highest and reduced pretty often..
If I can find out how to set up brightness using code, I will be willing to develop such an app, and if I can get some help, maybe do it Open Source.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2004, 05:18 PM

Why all the excitment over a tool to make your mac run slower? Why not just buy an extra battery and always operate on the highest speed?

bamchum
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 09:45 AM

Originally posted by Podolsky:
Why all the excitment over a tool to make your mac run slower? Why not just buy an extra battery and always operate on the highest speed?
1) We don't want to carry an extra battery.

2) Some powerbooks get hot and run their fans if run constantly at "highest."

3) Some powerbooks' processors make an annoying sizzling noise when run on "highest."

baglunch
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 11:28 AM

Very cool as-is, but a few things i'd like to see:

- user configurable (text) configuration file.
- allow to set/change the menu bar icon when different settings are enabled (configured in the configuration file.

i've already swapped out your icon tif, you should definitely look into a new one, particularly one that isn't copyrighted (assuming it is, just in case).

If you don't mind me asking, what are you writing it in, c++?

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2004, 03:38 PM

How do you remove the thing from the menu?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by saranwarp:
How do you remove the thing from the menu?
Command-click on it, hold, and drag it off the menu bar.

Allenzi35
Feb 18, 2004, 04:40 PM

how do I open a zip file?

Allenzi35
Feb 18, 2004, 04:41 PM

nevermind...I didn't read

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 01:23 AM

edit: nevermind
( Last edited by ul1984; Apr 20, 2004 at 03:59 AM. )

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 04:02 AM

bump - new version

MrCaN
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 11:33 AM

Anyone see if the new powerbooks got the new G4 that can change speeds on the fly.
Mr. CaN

Mike656
Apr 20, 2004, 02:32 PM

Cool app, thanks man What is the app to the right of it (the transfer speed thingy) called?

miccocan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 02:58 PM

i accidently installed 3 times, anyone know how to remove them and remove from the menu bar? (right click, delete button wont work)

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by miccocan:
i accidently installed 3 times, anyone know how to remove them and remove from the menu bar? (right click, delete button wont work)
hold down CMD and drag them out of the menubar

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Mike656:
Cool app, thanks man What is the app to the right of it (the transfer speed thingy) called?
thats MenuMeters
( Last edited by ul1984; Apr 20, 2004 at 04:33 PM. )

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2004, 07:08 PM

very cool menu extra ul1984...

for those not liking the default icon i made a different one that i've been using but sort of looks like a stamp...

download

yes, i realize it doesn't actually resemble a processor all that much but it would look pretty boring otherwise.

feel free to change/redistribute... i really poured my heart into it
oh, btw if you open it in photoshop you'll see some lame badge layovers i was messing around with that you can toggle back on.

to install right-click cpuPerformance.menu > show contents > resources folder > backup icon.tiff (so you can go back when you get sick of the stamp) and drag the new icon.tiff file into this folder.

//carbon

[edit: new icon available below, however i have reuploaded the old version as well]
( Last edited by CarbonG4; Apr 21, 2004 at 11:28 PM. )

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 20, 2004, 08:10 PM

Awesome. I'd been looking for just such a thing!

tooki

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by CarbonG4:

feel free to change/redistribute... i really poured my heart into it
thanks, i like your icon
i will use that from now on

oh, btw if you open it in photoshop you'll see some lame badge layovers i was messing around with that you can toggle back on.
too bad i aint got photoshop

i got a new version now

changes
- carbon's icon
- should detect machines without an automatic mode(like the revAs)

this is the way it should look on a machine without automatic (assuming the detection works)

here's version 0.6b:
cpuPerformance-0.6.1b.menu.tar.bz2

hopefully someone with a revA 12" could test this, and i still need someone with a G5 to test it as well (on a G5 it should no longer act as if it had a battery)
( Last edited by ul1984; Apr 23, 2004 at 01:40 AM. )

CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 21, 2004, 06:42 PM

heh, i'm honored you included my icon in the actual menu extra... in fact i'm a little embarrassed because it was such a shoddy icon

now knowing that you were actually looking for a replacement i took a couple of extra minutes to make a slightly more realistic looking processor icon if you are interested:

download

if you like it better than the previous one feel free to use it.

//carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 08:08 PM

I like your menu extra. It worked great for me initially. Then I installed MenuMeters. Your menu extra still shows up, but after I try to select a new CPU setting it will revert to the prior setting after a few seconds (energy saver confirms that no change was made).

I tried re-installing both Menu Cracker and your menu extra, restarting, as well as deleting the powermanagement prefs file, but can't get it to wrok again.

Any suggestions?

jmp
PB 12"

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 09:08 PM

I don't mean any disrespect to the person that created this cool program since it was free but I am getting the same issue. I just downloaded this program out of excitement and installed it and after selecting a different processor setting it reverts back to the original on my REV B 17"PB. Are there bugs in the software?
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 09:55 PM

I like your menu extra. It worked great for me initially. Then I installed MenuMeters. Your menu extra still shows up, but after I try to select a new CPU setting it will revert to the prior setting after a few seconds (energy saver confirms that no change was made).

I tried re-installing both Menu Cracker and your menu extra, restarting, as well as deleting the powermanagement prefs file, but can't get it to wrok again.

Any suggestions?
I don't mean any disrespect to the person that created this cool program since it was free but I am getting the same issue. I just downloaded this program out of excitement and installed it and after selecting a different processor setting it reverts back to the original on my REV B 17"PB. Are there bugs in the software?
okay thats weird, will be hard to find the bug, what version are you guys running?
( Last edited by ul1984; Apr 21, 2004 at 10:00 PM. )

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 10:17 PM

OS X 10.3.3
MenuCracker 1.3
MenuMeters 1.1.1

I'm guessing this is probably some sort of permissions issue?

I tried making a new user and re-installing MenuCracker and your cpu speed menu extra using that account. It works fine when logged into that account, but still won't work when logged in under my original user. I did try repairing permissions with disk utility-no effect.

JMP

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 10:22 PM

I'm using Panther 10.3.3. Clean install.
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by jmp998:
OS X 10.3.3
MenuCracker 1.3
MenuMeters 1.1.1

I'm guessing this is probably some sort of permissions issue?

I tried making a new user and re-installing MenuCracker and your cpu speed menu extra using that account. It works fine when logged into that account, but still won't work when logged in under my original user. I did try repairing permissions with disk utility-no effect.

JMP
accually i ment to ask what version of my menu extra you were running, but after what you said now, i guess the bug might not be in my menu extra.

btw one thing you should know, MenuCracker is included in MenuMeters, so if you have MenuMeters installed, maybe it would be a good idea to remove the seperate MenuCracker.

try this
remove MenuCracker and my menu extra. logout and login, then after you confirmed that MenuMeters did load(which means it loaded MenuCracker), redownload my menuextra again, and install it.

who knows, might work

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
I'm using Panther 10.3.3. Clean install.
weird, thats the same OS version im using, and i got a PowerBook of the same generation as you, should work...

there's only one thing i can think of, maybe my menuextra requires BSD subsystem as well, do you have the BSD subsystem installed?

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 10:28 PM

Okay I realized I downloaded the first one that you offered b5. I got rid of it and downloaded b6 with the newer icon and it works great
Only one more question, how do you change the icon to use the one that was posted that looks like a IC chip?
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

ul1984  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by hldan:
Okay I realized I downloaded the first one that you offered b5. I got rid of it and downloaded b6 with the newer icon and it works great
Only one more question, how do you change the icon to use the one that was posted that looks like a IC chip?
okay good, but b5 should work as well, wierd

to change the icon, right click on my menuextra, and click "Show Package Contents" then a window pops up, double click on the folder "Contents", then double click "Resources", and inside that folder, you'll find the icon, just replace it with the one you want.

then kill SystemUIServer OR logout and login again.

jmp998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2004, 10:49 PM

I tried deleting all copies, restarting, re-installing. Same problem. I'll post if I figure out what it is.

Like I said, it seems like some permissions issue, because installing a new user fixes the problem. Is there any specific file it accesses to make the change that I might be able to manually adjust the permissions on?

JMP

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2004, 10:53 PM

Wow that so cool UL. Thanks for that. I wish I knew how to creat cool software like that for the Mac. R U a developer?
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules