Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > PowerBook + T616

PowerBook + T616
tavilach
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 07:06 PM

Now that I have a PowerBook, I'd love to pair it with my T616 to do great things!

I'm a little confused about which software I should be downloading, though.

Salling Clicker costs $20, and seems worth it. This is what I'm really excited about. Is it worth the $20 over something like Romeo? I hear that Romeo isn't scriptable.

There are other applications to download for other reasons, too. There is BluePhoneMenu to notify of incoming calls on the phone (it even pauses iTunes during a call, and unpauses it when the call finishes!), and there is PhoneAgent to manage your SIM phonebook, manage SMS messages, edit MMS templates, create and edit themes from Mac OS X, etc. BluePhoneMenu is free, and PhoneAgent is $30. PhoneAgent also has a notification feature, but I don't believe it can pause iTunes, which is awesome! I'm not a fan of overlapping software, though (two things that overlap with the same task).

Is there any free software I can use to download/edit themes for the phone?

There is only so much shareware I want to buy for my Mac! I already want to purchase Quicktime Pro, mainly to get rid of that nasty nag window. That's $30. Then there's Salling Clicker (unless I go with Romeo, but scripting is so useful...proximitiy scripting...waking up when I walk in the room...*drool*), which is another $20.

What do the rest of you with T616/T610's do?

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2004, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by tavilach:
Now that I have a PowerBook, I'd love to pair it with my T616 to do great things!

I'm a little confused about which software I should be downloading, though.

Salling Clicker costs $20, and seems worth it. This is what I'm really excited about. Is it worth the $20 over something like Romeo? I hear that Romeo isn't scriptable.

There are other applications to download for other reasons, too. There is BluePhoneMenu to notify of incoming calls on the phone (it even pauses iTunes during a call, and unpauses it when the call finishes!), and there is PhoneAgent to manage your SIM phonebook, manage SMS messages, edit MMS templates, create and edit themes from Mac OS X, etc. BluePhoneMenu is free, and PhoneAgent is $30. PhoneAgent also has a notification feature, but I don't believe it can pause iTunes, which is awesome! I'm not a fan of overlapping software, though (two things that overlap with the same task).

Is there any free software I can use to download/edit themes for the phone?

There is only so much shareware I want to buy for my Mac! I already want to purchase Quicktime Pro, mainly to get rid of that nasty nag window. That's $30. Then there's Salling Clicker (unless I go with Romeo, but scripting is so useful...proximitiy scripting...waking up when I walk in the room...*drool*), which is another $20.

What do the rest of you with T616/T610's do?

I've fiddled with BluePhoneMenu, I'd use it much more if my Pismo had built in bluetooth.

I bought Salling clicker when i got my bluetooth module, Its awesome and much better than Romeo.

Phone agent seems to be the only theme editor around, but i reckon its too expensive. Good for modifying SIM entries though.

The best thing is iSync with iCal and Address Book, I'm using iCal all the time to keep track of my shifts at work and gigs with my band and keeping my phone directory up to date.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
I've fiddled with BluePhoneMenu, I'd use it much more if my Pismo had built in bluetooth.

I bought Salling clicker when i got my bluetooth module, Its awesome and much better than Romeo.

Phone agent seems to be the only theme editor around, but i reckon its too expensive. Good for modifying SIM entries though.

The best thing is iSync with iCal and Address Book, I'm using iCal all the time to keep track of my shifts at work and gigs with my band and keeping my phone directory up to date.
I'm probably better off sticking with a built-in theme, anyway. Aside from theme editing, is there anything that PhoneAgent really gives me? I can think iCal and Address Book, and can access pictures and everything, correct?
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Calamity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 09:40 AM

If you don't mind a little extra effort, you can still use PhoneAgent for themes without having to pay for it.

PhoneAgent won't let you save themes (if you haven't paid), but it will let you export them. All you have to do is take all the exported theme bits and make a TAR archive of them (after manually editing theme.xml to remove some gibberish, which takes like three seconds), then rename the .tar to .thm and send it on over to your phone.

The only other thing I've ever used PhoneAgent for is to send a note to my phone, but there's a freeware app (I think it's called BlueNotes) that does that, so meh on the PhoneAgent. AFAIK it is the only app you can make themes with (or you could actually make them manually, but it would be horribly tedious).

I used to use BluePhoneMenu but I found keeping a constant Bluetooth connection with my PB ate my phone's battery too fast.

I use Romeo now and then, it's pretty cool. I haven't tried Salling Clicker yet, but I've heard it's better than Romeo. (Oh yeah, I think Romeo can also do the pause iTunes thing.)

One thing about iSync and Address Book - on a T616, it won't sync your contact pictures, although you can add them manually. Other than that, the phone integrates very well with Address Book and iCal - they finally fixed the thing where it wouldn't sync All Day Events in iCal, so that's supposed to work properly now.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Calamity:
If you don't mind a little extra effort, you can still use PhoneAgent for themes without having to pay for it.

PhoneAgent won't let you save themes (if you haven't paid), but it will let you export them. All you have to do is take all the exported theme bits and make a TAR archive of them (after manually editing theme.xml to remove some gibberish, which takes like three seconds), then rename the .tar to .thm and send it on over to your phone.

The only other thing I've ever used PhoneAgent for is to send a note to my phone, but there's a freeware app (I think it's called BlueNotes) that does that, so meh on the PhoneAgent. AFAIK it is the only app you can make themes with (or you could actually make them manually, but it would be horribly tedious).

I used to use BluePhoneMenu but I found keeping a constant Bluetooth connection with my PB ate my phone's battery too fast.

I use Romeo now and then, it's pretty cool. I haven't tried Salling Clicker yet, but I've heard it's better than Romeo. (Oh yeah, I think Romeo can also do the pause iTunes thing.)

One thing about iSync and Address Book - on a T616, it won't sync your contact pictures, although you can add them manually. Other than that, the phone integrates very well with Address Book and iCal - they finally fixed the thing where it wouldn't sync All Day Events in iCal, so that's supposed to work properly now.
No it still doesn't sync all day events with my T610.

Nice tip about the themes though.

Calamity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2004, 11:13 AM

Hmm, are you using iSync 1.5, and did you turn on the option to sync all-day events (it's off by default)? I haven't tried it yet, but I think it was just fixed.

ntsc
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 03:41 PM

yeah but it just creates an event which is the length of the day, which while it works in as far as you have the information with you - i'd hardly call it fixed. guess we gotta wait for SE to implement an all day event type in their calendar.
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by Calamity:
Hmm, are you using iSync 1.5, and did you turn on the option to sync all-day events (it's off by default)? I haven't tried it yet, but I think it was just fixed.
Oh yes, its hidden in options.

My bad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules