Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > buring DVD+r on mac for set-top DVD player

buring DVD+r on mac for set-top DVD player
Ice33
May 1, 2006, 09:06 AM

I have always used DVD-R media to back up movies from my DVD collection but I was wondering if there is any reason or difference if I began to use DVD+R?

Will they still play on the TV set DVD player?
Are there any drawbacks in using DVD+R? I just got into a habit of using DVD-R but never really researched it.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
May 1, 2006, 09:51 AM

it depends on the player. none of my set-top players play +Rs, so i have to use -Rs for them...

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 01:51 PM

+R was designed to be more compatible with good old-fashioned DVD players. You should have more luck using +Rs with set-top boxes that came out before recordable DVDs. Everything is hit or miss, however.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2006, 03:59 AM

I've always found the best compatibility through the use of -R media
ice

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
I've always found the best compatibility through the use of -R media
Best with what, computers, DVD players, or both? -R was designed for computers. Nowadays, with new set-tops and drives, it semms to matter less and less which (+ or -) you use.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder
Best with what, computers, DVD players, or both? -R was designed for computers. Nowadays, with new set-tops and drives, it semms to matter less and less which (+ or -) you use.

For the current run of cheapo DVD set-top players, I've had great success with -R, and have had minimal success with +R (although it has as much to do with my lack of trying +R stuff after getting a few that wouldn't play in my set-top)

Cyberhome player from walmart ($40 or so) plays -R iPhoto slideshows, iDVD projects, burned movies, etc.
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2006, 09:20 PM

found this bit of info at http://www.videohelp.com/dvd:

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.
ice

Tuoder
Mac Elite
May 3, 2006, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
found this bit of info at http://www.videohelp.com/dvd:

DVD-R and DVD-RW
DVD-R was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 80% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD-R and DVD-RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double sided 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 89% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 79% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
DVD+R and DVD+RW supports single side 4.37 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 8.75 computer GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.
I guess i had it backwards, but those rates are not really that different.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2006, 01:11 AM

As noted earlier, the "minus" standard has broader compatibility with set-top players normally, but the "plus" standard allows you to set the booktype (which the minus standard does not allow). By setting the booktype to DVD-ROM it works with more set-top players than either plus or minus work with normally.

Forum Links
Forum Rules