Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrade to Leopard 10.5

Upgrade to Leopard 10.5
hirise123
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2011, 03:06 PM

Can the Leopard 10.5 install disk from a Mac book 13" be used on a 20" IMac G5 Power PC with a 2.0 processor and 2 gig ram, I know that is as far as this comp can be upgraded. Most of the game and education apps require 10.5 or up. Thank you

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2011, 03:15 PM

No.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 5, 2011, 03:16 PM

A retail Leopard DVD would work on either. The Leopard install DVD included with the MacBook is likely to omit much of the PPC code. I'd say it will not work.

hirise123  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2011, 04:27 PM

Thank you every one, I thought that was too easy.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
No.
This.
The reason is that Apple designed it that way. There's no guess work involved. It won't work.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
A retail Leopard DVD would work on either. The Leopard install DVD included with the MacBook is likely to omit much of the PPC code. I'd say it will not work.
Intel Mac DVDs were restricted to specific models whereas PPC ones were restricted to product lines towards the end of their run. All that aside, Intel Mac DVDs include virtually no PPC code at all I believe. They don't even boot PPC Macs to run Disk Utility.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Sep 6, 2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Intel Mac DVDs were restricted to specific models whereas PPC ones were restricted to product lines towards the end of their run. All that aside, Intel Mac DVDs include virtually no PPC code at all I believe. They don't even boot PPC Macs to run Disk Utility.
They include all the PPC libraries - that's required for Rosetta - and I think they have the same included applications, but they may exclude PPC versions of the kernel, extensions and UNIX userland.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules