Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook vs PB casing, which is more solid?

iBook vs PB casing, which is more solid?
fnc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 06:56 PM

Which one has the more solid casing? If read different things, some say the iBook is more solid while others mention the PB is the better choice.

swimfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 14, 2004, 10:56 PM

for me, this is a no brainer. my 17" powerbook was badly dented from an 8 inch fall. my ibook on the other hand has taken many spills with nothing more than a small scratch.

crunked
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2004, 03:24 AM

Well the ibooks are supposed to be more solid than the powerbooks because they were built for the purpose of being rugged.

The aluminum on the pbooks can easily get dented and deformed while the ibooks don't even need sleeves. I just toss my ibook g4 into my backpack with all my textbooks/notebooks and all it gets are tiny scratches on the outside.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2004, 11:50 AM

I have a 12" PB and there are pro's and con's for each computer. The PB can take a big spill and dent very badly but user's have reported accidently driving over them with a car and they still work, where as if the iBook takes lots of trauma the plastic shell can literally break. As for minor stuff, the PB hardly ever gets scratched (I know mine hasn't yet), where as the iBook is too easily scratched (even in a sleeve). Overall the iBook can take more abuse then the PB, especially with its shock absorbing mounted HD.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 15, 2004, 12:15 PM

After 3+ years with an iBook G3/500, I just upgraded to a 12-inch PowerBook, so I have experience with both. IMO, the iBook's plastic shell is definitely more solid, certainly for casual knocks and bumps. If ruggedness is a priority, pick the iBook. However, for me, DVI-out and higher performance, plus smaller size and weight, made me choose the PowerBook.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by crunked:
The aluminum on the pbooks can easily get dented and deformed while the ibooks don't even need sleeves. I just toss my ibook g4 into my backpack with all my textbooks/notebooks and all it gets are tiny scratches on the outside.
This depends on your definition of "easily" dented. The iBooks need sleeves just like every other laptop, unless you want a bunch of scratches on the case. Take a look at any iBook that has had any kind of use and you will see this. The aluminum surface on the Powerbooks does not scratch like the iBooks do. It is true that the aluminum can dent. Plastic breaks. If you are dumb enough to not properly protect an expensive laptop then you get what you deserve!

My Powerbook 17" was dropped once, while in a sleevecase. I got a small dent. But everything works fine. An iBook might have cracked.

They are both very well-designed computers and with a little care can look like new for many years.

FNC:

I would make your purchase decision on what you can afford and what features you absolutely need. The current line-up of Apple laptops are just awesome. You can't go wrong with any of them.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Voch
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2004, 01:36 PM

As a former owner of an iBook/500 I'd can say that I've babied my PowerBook much more than I did my iBook. I never pick it up with one hand. When using it on a desktop I use a Coolpad Traveller so the bottom won't get messed up or too hot. My friends' kids never get near it.

I felt better using my iBook in more, well, dangerous situations, though, and kinda miss the "I'll just whip out the iBook" attitude I had. I would hold it underneath with one hand while quick-checking my e-mail wirelessly in my friend's driveway and use it on my friend's backyard table (w/o a CoolPad). I'd even let my friends' kids actually look at it...

Here at work I bring in my TiBook daily and my coworker brings in his iBook G3/800. To show you my paranoid level, I keep mine locked in the cubicle shelf and use it once or twice a day for a few minutes (and then, only on my CoolPad). My coworker hooks his iBook to AC power in the morning, keeps it open, and plays tunes on it all day with it just sitting bare on his desk next to him.

I'm definately considering an iBook for a future purchase, but haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade from my TiBook just yet.,.it's still the greatest computer I've ever owned, and definately the most used and useful.

Voch

Kelvin
Jul 15, 2004, 03:18 PM

I bought a new iBook 14" last month. I took it on a road trip packed in a backpack notebook carring case. I also put my digicam and camcorder (Canon ZR60) in the next padded compartment. The backpack was laid down on the softsided suitcase in the van. The digicam and camcorder where about 3.5lbs, sitting on top of the iBook padded compartment. The van is airconditioned so the iBook was exposed to extreme heat. I used the iBook at the motel but only on my lap. When I got home I found the iBook would wobble on the desk. Somehow it looks like the area around the battery got tweaked slightly. Luckily it was within the 10 day exchange and the Apple store replaced it.

iBooks may be tougher than PB but the frame around the battery compartment may be a weak point.

On future trips I'm going to sit the backpack upright so the iBook is on it's end. I wouldn't have thought this could've happened.

Kelvin

Forum Links
Forum Rules