Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 15" PB v. 17" iMac & 12" iBook

15" PB v. 17" iMac & 12" iBook
ghettochild
Sep 7, 2005, 07:08 AM

didn't really know in which forum section I should put this, but anyways...

here's the deal. I was originally considering this (all prices w/ edu disc.):

15" G4 PB 1.67GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 100GB HDD 128 vRAM SD APP -> $2.653

now I'm considering this:

17" iMac G5 2GHz 1GB RAM (2 slots) 160 GB HDD 128 MB vRAM SD APP -> $1.630
+
12" G4 iBook 1.33GHz 512MB RAM 40GB HDD 32MB vRAM Combo APP -> $1.132
_________
$2.762
Price differenc: $109

all right... I don't need to be mobile all the time, i.e., I don't need to drag my LT to campus every day, just every so often. Hence, I'd use the PB as a desktop replacement rather than as a laptop. however, every so often I need to use a LT on campus and for travel.

I've been a winblows user for 13 years, I have zero practical experience w/ macs (except for messin with them @ the apple store or compusa.

putting the $100 price differnce aside (I can make up for that w/ selling the 2nd iPod), which one(s) would u go for?

any input/help is greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

sworthy
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 07:33 AM

First, never buy additional RAM from apple directly. Instead go to crucial.com or macsales.com and upgrade the RAM for roughly half the price.

As far as the actual decision, I personally would go with the iMac and the iBook (though I might want to wait until new pb's are released -- should be sometime soon). EIther way, a pb refresh still won't be as fast as an iMac.

It's about personal preferences though. Would you rather have just one machine so you don't have to sync the two all the time? Or would you rather have one desktop setup to take care of all the heavy lifting, with a nicer screen and all of your peripherals plugged in, and using a laptop that is just a bit slower (though still fast enough for just about everything)?

pete
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2005, 09:35 AM

Go with the imac and ibook! It's wonderful having a powerful desktop with a huge screen and then a smaller, lighter unit for travel and coffee shop use.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2005, 09:37 AM

I have the same Powerbook you're considering and the new 17" iMac 1.8GHz version. As much as I enjoy the Powerbook if it were me I'd opt for the iMac + iBook combination. If you don't need a SuperDrive you can lowe the price by getting the 1.8GHz iMac, I don't see there being a big difference in performance between it and the 2GHz version. I really enjoy the iMac also as it has a great display.

only120xs
Sep 7, 2005, 09:55 AM

I think there are other things to consider:
What will be your primary use for the computer? If you'll be doing lots of power-hungry tasks, I might say to go with the iMac + ibook. If your computing needs are pretty basic, then I might say to go with a 12" powerbook with an external monitor.
Also, as mentioned, buy your extra RAM from Crucial (or other reputable dealer).

Here's an option:
12" PB 1.5ghz 512MB DDR333 RAM (switch out a 256 w/ a 1gig from crucial for $200 or a 512 for $130?) 64MB video card, 100GB HD. + 20" Apple display = $2600 (not including edu discount or extra RAM)
( Last edited by only120xs; Sep 7, 2005 at 10:31 AM. )

ghettochild  (op)
Sep 7, 2005, 06:23 PM

hey, thanks ya'll for the replies. I guess I'll go w/ the imac/ibook combo.

Originally Posted by sworthy
First, never buy additional RAM from apple directly. Instead go to crucial.com or macsales.com and upgrade the RAM for roughly half the price.
thanks for the advice. how difficult/easy is it to switch/add RAM to the iMac (and maybe someday to the iBook as well)? I've checked the apple website do it yourself section, and it looks a little cumbersome.

only120xs
Sep 7, 2005, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ghettochild
hey, thanks ya'll for the replies. I guess I'll go w/ the imac/ibook combo.

thanks for the advice. how difficult/easy is it to switch/add RAM to the iMac (and maybe someday to the iBook as well)? I've checked the apple website do it yourself section, and it looks a little cumbersome.
Very easy.

ghettochild  (op)
Sep 8, 2005, 12:19 AM

kewl!

2 more questions....does the current 12" iBook have 2 RAM slots or just 1? I got a little confused by some posts and the apple website isn't very clear about that either. secondly, what's the best way to transfer/share files between the 2 machines?

thanks again for your input & help!

ghettochild  (op)
Sep 8, 2005, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by only120xs
Here's an option:
12" PB 1.5ghz 512MB DDR333 RAM (switch out a 256 w/ a 1gig from crucial for $200 or a 512 for $130?) 64MB video card, 100GB HD. + 20" Apple display = $2600 (not including edu discount or extra RAM)
ish! I've overlooked that...lol dang, yet another option. this certainly looks awesome.

gee....

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2005, 04:12 PM

naw....dont do that. 2ghz G5 is way faster than any current powerbook...it's not worth the compromise in speed for a few more pixels is it? if it was ud be going for the 20" iMac. stick with the 17" and 12" combo, nothing is better than power at home portability on the road.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

only120xs
Sep 8, 2005, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
naw....dont do that. 2ghz G5 is way faster than any current powerbook...it's not worth the compromise in speed for a few more pixels is it? if it was ud be going for the 20" iMac. stick with the 17" and 12" combo, nothing is better than power at home portability on the road.
Yes, but if your computing consists of web and email and some Word/Excel for school, then you really wouldn't notice the slower speed. In that case, go for the huge real estate the external monitor allows instead of the speed of the iMac since you wouldn't notice it anyway. The iMac/ibook would be an alright combination, but in my eyes you're getting: decent screen size (iMac) with a relatively cheap feeling laptop and the hassles of synching everything. I see a big benefit in only having one computer, plus the 12" PB feels more solid/better made than the ibook (metal vs. plastic) (plus the PB has a faster HD and a FW 800 port).

My $.02

ghettochild  (op)
Sep 9, 2005, 09:42 AM

Here's what I mainly do w/ the computer: web browsing, chatting (w/ cam at times), office, listening to music, p2p (important!), watching movies (not necessarily DVDs), and light photo editing (not w/ photoshop).

your thoughts about the 12" PB & 20" ACD combination?

as always, any input/help is greatly appreciated!
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

only120xs
Sep 9, 2005, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by ghettochild
Here's what I mainly do w/ the computer: web browsing, chatting (w/ cam at times), office, listening to music, p2p (important!), watching movies (not necessarily DVDs), and light photo editing (not w/ photoshop).

your thoughts about the 12" PB & 20" ACD combination?

as always, any input/help is greatly appreciated!
= average user.

So, in my opinion, you don't NEED the extra power available in the iMac. Therefore, if you want to have the larger monitor and not have to deal with synching everything between 2 computers, go for the PB + external monitor.

FYI: there are other, cheaper options for external monitors besides Apple. My favorite (best looking, though it doesn't match the brushed aluminum) is Formac . Never seen them in person, but that's what I'd buy if I were going to buy a monitor.

volcano
Senior User
Sep 9, 2005, 03:09 PM

The iBook is more durable than the Powerbook. If you want something that you can throw in your bag and not worry about, go with the iBook (with some kind of sleeve for it, like a Tucano sleeve) and iMac.

Perhaps my opinions are a tad biased, since I myself have a 20" 2GHz iMac G5 & a 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4. I love them both. But unlike you, I use Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and Flash extensively on my iMac. I do light photo editing and some graphic work on my iBook when I'm on the go or when I can't stand sitting at my computer desk for another minute.

As for syncing the two, you have two options:

1. Sharing files over your wireless network. Very easy to do, plenty fast if you just want to transfer some Word documents (like I do - I type up all my reports/essays/etc on my iBook then save a back-up copy on my iMac), and very easy to set up. Cons? The speed can be a drag if you're transferring larger files.

2. Firewire. This is the fastest way to transfer large files or collections of files. You activate one Mac in target disk mode (you'll learn about this later) and basically it will act as an external hard drive. From your other Mac, you simply drag and drop the files you want and it transfers the files at surprisingly fast speeds. I often do this if I have a collection of photos that I need transferred.

I wouldn't go for the 12" Powerbook and external monitor combination, simply because you get more bang for your buck with the iBook/iMac combination. You may be an average user right now, but with all the options available for Macs, who knows what direction you'll venture into in the next year or so. You'll appreciate the faster speed of the iMac.

only120xs
Sep 9, 2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by volcano
The iBook is more durable than the Powerbook....
Yeah, perhaps, but do you really want to be throwing your computer around?

Originally Posted by volcano
...You may be an average user right now, but with all the options available for Macs, who knows what direction you'll venture into in the next year or so....
True. You need to weigh your needs and decide what [you think] will suit you the best. You also need to take into consideration what your upgrade cycle is... if you plan on getting a new computer in 2 years, then you could go with what you need it for NOW. On the other hand, if you plan on keeping this/these for 5+ years, buy as much power as you can afford.

ghettochild  (op)
Sep 10, 2005, 07:30 AM

well, I guess I've pretty much eliminated the 12" PB w/ 20" ACD option after reading dozens of threads about the 12" PB fan going gung ho when hooked up to the ACD.

now I'm back to the original dilemma- 15" PB v. 17" iMac w/ 12" iBook. lol, I've been reading 100s of threads since last week and I'm getting somewhat frustrated. each option has advantages/disadvantages, and I can't figure out (yet) for which I should opt...
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2005, 01:13 PM

get the imac ibook combo....there's nothing better than having power at home when you need it and portability when you're out n about. the g5 iMac will last you quite longer as well, compared to the current powerbook. you wont really notice any speed difference between the 15" pb and 12" ib.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

jaimzedup
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by sworthy

As far as the actual decision, I personally would go with the iMac and the iBook (though I might want to wait until new pb's are released -- should be sometime soon). EIther way, a pb refresh still won't be as fast as an iMac.

It's about personal preferences though. Would you rather have just one machine so you don't have to sync the two all the time? Or would you rather have one desktop setup to take care of all the heavy lifting, with a nicer screen and all of your peripherals plugged in, and using a laptop that is just a bit slower (though still fast enough for just about everything)?
I'm thinking about replacing my ibook with an iMac. One quick question: is it just as easy on the imac to add more memory? On the apple website, they had a how-to pdf on adding a memory module to an ibook but I don't see similar documentation for the iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules