Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need advice on how to set up a G3 iMac for wireless connection to a router

Need advice on how to set up a G3 iMac for wireless connection to a router
Prolnick
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 04:47 PM

I have a G3 iMac and I'm not sure of the equipment I will need to connect wirelessly to a router.

I'm told that I need an an adaptor, Aeropad Plus - from pictures it looks like stand alone device that plugs in via a USB port.

With that, do I also need a Airport card or is the Aeropad Plus all that's required?

Also, the description of the Aeropad device says that it transmits at up to 11 Mbp. Does that mean that I shouldn't bother getting a router that operates at a rate higher than that?

Thanks very much.

only120xs
Sep 8, 2005, 08:16 PM

Yeah, that looks like it would work. No, you don't need anything else with it, just the router. (airport express would be the cheapest Apple product, otherwise Linksys and others make some cheaper. I'd go with the Airport Express though.)

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Prolnick
Also, the description of the Aeropad device says that it transmits at up to 11 Mbp. Does that mean that I shouldn't bother getting a router that operates at a rate higher than that?
That just means that it uses the old 802.11b wireless standard, like the original Airport cards.

It will work with a faster Airport, Airport Express, or other access point which uses 802.11g, the connection will just be limited to the slower speed.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

krx
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2005, 12:23 PM

I too have been considering the wireless adaptor for my iMac 333. Can anyone tell me how much slower this connection will be compared to a wired ethernet connection? I wouldn't want to do it if it really bogged it down.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2005, 02:06 PM

The adapter you're looking at should work, and it will work with either 802.11B or 802.11G routers. I'd go for one of the latter for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that most manufacturers have basically orphaned their "B" only equipment in favor of supporting newer stuff. "G" equipment also supports WPA security, which is A Good Thing-the alternative, WEP, isn't really secure at all.

Please ask networking questions beyond "what does my computer need to get on a network" in the Networking forum.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules