Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > IMAP hosting for Macs?

IMAP hosting for Macs?
adamjh
Mar 7, 2006, 02:21 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good IMAP email hosting company for a small business (10 employees). We have mostly Macs with a few PCs.

Our problem is our current hosting company, SImplicato, basically sucks with a Mac (emails disappear all the time). Their tech support is also horrible, and they really don't support Macs very well at all.

I've called a few other companies (Bluetie) and they don't recommend using their service on a Mac.

Any ideas?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 02:36 PM

Dreamhost has been more than good to me for the last couple of years. Excellent service, cheap prices.

Should you decide to go for dreamhost PM me for a discount code.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2006, 02:36 PM

Im not really seeing how they don't recommend you using their service on a Mac. What's the difference?

There's .mac, but that might be too small for you.
There's dreamhost.com that might suit you. if you choose them and don't mind, I wouldn't mind the referrer bonus. I use dreamhost.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by adamjh
I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good IMAP email hosting company for a small business (10 employees). We have mostly Macs with a few PCs.

Our problem is our current hosting company, SImplicato, basically sucks with a Mac (emails disappear all the time). Their tech support is also horrible, and they really don't support Macs very well at all.

I've called a few other companies (Bluetie) and they don't recommend using their service on a Mac.
What do you do that is so Mac-specific with IMAP ?

I'm using Dreamhost myself, and never had any trouble...

-t

adamjh  (op)
Mar 7, 2006, 03:06 PM

I know it seems weird that some IMAP hosting companies don't support Macs, but this seems to be the case. I called BlueTie and they specifically recommended against using their service with Macs. We also looked into a Microsoft Exchange setup and that rep also said no Macs. It must have something to do with Entourage/Eudora/Mac mail, but I really have no idea.

Anyway, our current host Simplicato does work with Macs, but it's spotty and unreliable.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by adamjh
I know it seems weird that some IMAP hosting companies don't support Macs, but this seems to be the case. I called BlueTie and they specifically recommended against using their service with Macs. We also looked into a Microsoft Exchange setup and that rep also said no Macs. It must have something to do with Entourage/Eudora/Mac mail, but I really have no idea.
Whoever you talked to is not the brightest bulb.
The reason why they discourage Macs is that they have no clue, and if there is a question, they look like dummies.

IMAP is not Mac specific. The latest Safari works pretty good with IMAP.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2006, 03:51 PM

IMAP = an open standard, platform agnostic

Exchange/MAPI = a Microsoft thing.

only120xs
Mar 7, 2006, 04:09 PM

I agree with others that it shouldn't matter who you go through. I use mailsnare.net for my email and I use it as an IMAP account.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2006, 04:43 PM

Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Forum Links
Forum Rules