Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "App" is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated

"App" is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated
badidea
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2019, 10:43 AM

I know that macOS Mojave is the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps and what these annoying error messages are supposed to do BUT...
Do you guys also sometimes get these messages out of nowhere? Sometimes just in the middle of watching a movie? For Applications you deinstalled months or years ago and spotlight is not able to find any leftovers which you might have forgotten somewhere deep in the system folders?
Well, I do...unfortunately! Not very often but they still come up every few weeks. And since I have a Mac mini which I mostly used as a media center for iTunes and Plex to drive my home cinema, this is very annoying when it happens in the middle of a movie and I don't have any possibility to get rid of it other than quitting the movie and searching for a mouse to click the close button (I usually control the mini only with a harmony remote).

I haven't found a setting yet to turn these messages completely off - is there any hidden setting maybe which can be changed with some system utility?
Any ideas where I can search and find these mysterious application leftovers that cause these messages? My System Report doesn't list any software which isn't 64bit ready yet!

Thanks for any help!

reader50
Administrator
Sep 11, 2019, 12:09 PM

There is a hidden pref to turn the warnings off. It apparently worked in High Sierra. Trouble is, it's broken in Mojave. I tried it - warnings kept coming.

You only get the warning when a 32-bit app or service is launched. So if your apps are all 64-bit, check your user- and system-level LaunchAgents and LaunchDaemons. Including in the System folder. 3rd party items are discouraged there, but can be inherited during upgrades and system migrations.

Also check your Extensions/Frameworks/Components for 32-bit. Easiest way is through the System Profiler.

badidea  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2019, 08:03 AM

Thanks reader50! I'll try that.

"You only get the warning when a 32-bit app or service is launched" - I know that Apple claims that this would be the case but it seems that it is not on my side! The last error message I remember was one which listet some "Roxio Toast" component. It popped up right in the middle of a movie I was watching (about 1 hour after I started the computer). I don't have a CD burner in any of my Macs since more than 5 years and deinstalled Toast back then as well. There might be something left of it somewhere deep down in the system but why should it be launched more than an hour after I started the Mac? And why can the error message list the component while Spotlight doesn't know where this component is (search result empty)? It's a mystery!

reader50
Administrator
Sep 12, 2019, 11:35 AM

Spotlight generally does not index system components. Try EasyFind instead. It will do an actual search, instead of checking the mds indexes. You should do the search from an admin account at least, and preferably as the root user. So it isn't kept out of some folders.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2019, 11:55 AM

Where is that "hidden" preference setting? I'm certain I have some 32-bit only apps that will eventually wind up running in High Sierra and Mojave. Does it just not work in Mojave, or are there "side effects" to watch out for?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Sep 12, 2019, 01:22 PM

No side effects. It just doesn't do anything in Mojave.
Code:
Terminal commands. Disable Warning: defaults write -g CSUIDisable32BitWarning -boolean TRUE Enable Warning: defaults delete -g CSUIDisable32BitWarning Check Status: defaults read -g CSUIDisable32BitWarning response "1" = warnings disabled response "0" or an error message = warnings continue
I've had the setting for months now, through many, many reboots. Still get warnings whenever a 32-bit app or process launches.

Forum Links
Forum Rules