Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > GB, a guitar, and a 1/4 adapter

GB, a guitar, and a 1/4 adapter
wolfgang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2004, 07:45 PM

There is very little posted on these forums regarding this aspect of GB.

Has anyone done it?

If so, are you using the Apple/Monster adapter or a generic $5 adapter from Radioshack. I dont see where the Apple adapter is anything special...am i missing something?

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2004, 08:17 PM

I just got a $3 adapter from Radio Shack. it works perfectly.

The amps sound great.

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 04:17 PM

can you give more details about that adapter you got from radio shack?

my details: i have a dual power mac g4 (gigabit ethernet) with vertical sound ports: 1 for speakers and one for line in. i have a headset (mic and headphones) that ive tried plugging in and the mic doesnt work. as an alternative i have an old apple microphone that does work. when I look at the connectors they seem the same size but the plugs are different lengths. check the photo:

http://www.paulperreault.com/pub/inputs.jpg

thx
ppmax

Weezer
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 04:22 PM

He means a 1/4 to an 1/8 adapter, so you can plug your guitars 1/4 out into the adapter and then plug that into the 1/8 input on your mac.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 04:38 PM

I've been using an eight inch to eighth inch stereo wire that I had sitting around with an eighth inch to quarter inch adapter on the end that plugs into the guitar. Works fine for me. Maybe the monster cable will sound better but it sounds fine to me. I made this with it. This was literally the first thing that I tried to record. I didn't even tune the guitar....

http://www.princeton.edu/~dsemaya/My%20Song.band.mp3

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by ppmax:
can you give more details about that adapter you got from radio shack?

my details: i have a dual power mac g4 (gigabit ethernet) with vertical sound ports: 1 for speakers and one for line in. i have a headset (mic and headphones) that ive tried plugging in and the mic doesnt work. as an alternative i have an old apple microphone that does work. when I look at the connectors they seem the same size but the plugs are different lengths. check the photo:

http://www.paulperreault.com/pub/inputs.jpg

thx
ppmax
That long plug is the Apple PlainTalk microphone plug. New Macs don't support it. If it works for you then go right ahead and use it but the jack will accommodate normal eighth-inch plugs.

masugu
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 04:42 PM

Hey, that's a nice tune...

But, I tried a similar thing - expensive guitar cable > plugged into a $3.00 1/4 adapter and >> plugged in to my Ti PB... the guitar records like crap. Sounds like I am in a cave.

In another thread folks recommended pre-amp like devices ranging from $79 to $450 MBOX...

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 06:33 PM

Solved.

I got the mono adapter from said establishment, dusted off my strat, and am now blowing off work to play "God Save the Queen!'

Apple, what hath thou unleashed?

masugu
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 07:23 PM

PP MAx...

How is the sound plugging from your strat into your mac? I tried with my les paul and got the loud results...maybe if I used my strat??? Might the different pick ups make a difference???

Re: stereo 1/8 plug...I just asked for a guitar adapter at the music shop...

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 07:35 PM

Here is the adapter I got

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=274%2D875

It will work fine with your macs sound input.

It's fine. Here is a tune with my Strat plugged into the back of my Mac using this adapter.

http://www.withinisugly.com/wank.mp3

You do not need to spend $20 on a Monster adapter.

The Mick
Senior User
Jan 19, 2004, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by kulverse:
Here is a tune with my Strat plugged into the back of my Mac using this adapter.

http://www.withinisugly.com/wank.mp3

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2004, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by masugu:
PP MAx...

How is the sound plugging from your strat into your mac? I tried with my les paul and got the loud results...maybe if I used my strat??? Might the different pick ups make a difference???

Re: stereo 1/8 plug...I just asked for a guitar adapter at the music shop...
I used a Les Paul and it sounded fine. Try adjusting the gain on your Mac in the Sound Preferences.

ppmax
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2004, 11:59 PM

Hoo'kay, now that kulverse has shamed us all with his mighty riffs, I humbly post 10 bars of an "Homage to Lesser Men" ...a toast to those of us just learning to swing the mighty axe, that one day may we fell large bottles of Jack and equally large bottomed women.

ppmax
( Last edited by ppmax; Jan 20, 2004 at 12:25 AM. )

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2004, 03:04 AM

I've always kinda wanted to learn to play guitar. Now I think I just might do it.

Gonna run to RadioShack tomorrow to get that adapter and then borrow my roommate's guitar. I doubt I'll be posting any of my songs any time soon, though. Be thankful.

TC
Senior User
Jan 20, 2004, 07:02 AM

So when is Apple going to release iGuitar?

Blown away by what I've heard just from this thread, Apple is going to unleash a new generation of guitarists on the world.
Nothing to see, move along.

wolfgang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2004, 02:30 AM

after reading the responses, i think i'll try the radioshack adapter...

as a note: the local RS had a 1/4 stereo to 1/8 stereo, but no 1/4 mono to 1/8 stereo...shouldnt matter however...

geekwagon
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by beverson:
I've always kinda wanted to learn to play guitar. Now I think I just might do it.

Gonna run to RadioShack tomorrow to get that adapter and then borrow my roommate's guitar. I doubt I'll be posting any of my songs any time soon, though. Be thankful.
I have been kind of thinking about learning to play the guitar for a few years now. GB got me to go to the store and buy a Strat to practice on (I have tried the loaner guitar thing and it always seems like I can never tell if I am doing something wrong or it is just an old+busted guitar.)

I am also using the $3 RS adapter and it works fine using GBs virtual amps. It's a lot more fun then last time I tried to learn, I only had an amp that would play clean and I couldn't get the sounds I wanted out of it.

I know 5 chords now. I'll be in the charts in no time

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by wolfgang:
after reading the responses, i think i'll try the radioshack adapter...

as a note: the local RS had a 1/4 stereo to 1/8 stereo, but no 1/4 mono to 1/8 stereo...shouldnt matter however...
Correct...It doesnt matter if its mono or stereo. BG automatically brings the singnal to both channels. All the effects themsleves are stereo, so You do not need a mono->stereo connection. I think Moster Cable just made their adapter mono->stereo just so they could charge $20 + for it.

Taipan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 21, 2004, 12:02 PM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
I know 5 chords now. I'll be in the charts in no time
Hi!

I fear knowing five chords you're already way past the point where you had a chance of entering the charts. Sorry...
Maybe you could switch to the piano...

wolfgang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 10:04 PM

I used the radioshack adapter (link above). It works ok. I do have some nasty feedback, typically with the distortion effects and amp sims...but have been able to control it with the noise gate. Using the monitor option causes it too.

But GB is a nice program, well worth the $49.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2004, 10:07 PM

I used the radioshack adapter (link above). It works ok. I do have some nasty feedback, typically with the distortion effects and amp sims...but have been able to control it with the noise gate. Using the monitor option causes it too.

But GB is a nice program, well worth the $49.
Have you opened your sound system prefs and adjusted the Input volume down? Bring it all the way down and you'll get a perfect balance with no added gain. I had the same feedback issues till I did this.

wolfgang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2004, 10:33 PM

kulverse...I have done that...input volume for line-in is all the way done.

But when i select the Amp Sim with overdrive/crunch (Amer or British) i still get the noise... It happens with the Distortion effect too...

are there any settings that im missing?

kcm3
Jan 23, 2004, 10:39 PM

Just to add my two bits for anyone else who has an iMac:

I have a cheap-o 1/4-to-1/8 adapter (similar in shape to, but not the same as the Radio Shack adapter posted earlier) laying around the house. I picked up iLife this afternoon and was excited about plugging in my strat. Unfortunately, I can't plug it into my iMac (17"). Since the audio in port is at the end of the row, the fat part of my adapter hits the little raised edge at the edge of the row of ports. Argh!

So, the moral of the story, I suppose, is that if you're using an iMac, you might want to look for an adapter that has some room around the 1/8 plug (the Monster cable would have no problem since there is some separation between the big and small ends). I wish mine had a name on it so that people would know to avoid it. I'm going to compare it to the Radio Shack one tomorrow and see if I can plug that one in.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2004, 08:10 AM

Sounds like your built-in microphone is turned up, feeding back signal from the speakers.

srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2004, 02:17 PM

I picked up GB last night and tried to record with my roommate's guitar, but I was getting nothing. No hint of any input. (I checked the sound preferences). So we had to use his V-AMP. (Guitar -> V-AMP -> Mac). I have a G4 Dual 867 MDD and I was using the line in. This would be fine to me, however, I read all of your posts and not one mention of a real amp? What am I missing!

wolfgang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2004, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Sounds like your built-in microphone is turned up, feeding back signal from the speakers.

unfortunately, thats not the case...i have turned the input all the way down...and although the nosie is better, its still there...

im running out of options as i would like to monitor while playing...and withthe noise gate, i can control it....but i lose some of the 'guitar sound'...

keep in mind the following:
-only happens on overdrive or distortion
-input volume is down
-monitor is on
-noise gate is at ~75%
-using radioshack stereo1/4 to stereo1/8 adapter

i might have to go with the $149 m-audio preamp...but id rather not right now...

the RS adapter works fine once i take care of the noise...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2004, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by srfdriver22:
This would be fine to me, however, I read all of your posts and not one mention of a real amp? What am I missing!
If there were a real amp involved, we'd have long since solved the problem with a simple pointer towards

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/b1.html
and
http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/vtb1.html

I have the C3 mic, and it is very, very nice.

and cheap.

NOTE: to use a condensor mic such as the b1, you NEED a mic pre-amplifier that can supply 48V phantom power to the mic. The VTB-1 still needs to be hooked up to the Mac's 1/8" input.

You CAN, however, use the pre-amp for guitars and run them directly into the Mac from there. You have the added benefit of having a pretty terrific (by all accounts and if up to their usual standard) mic pre-amp should you later (or sooner) decide to get a mic, as well.

-s*
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Jan 24, 2004 at 11:09 PM. )

James L
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2004, 11:53 AM

For all the dudes here who are currently using a guitar and garageband,

Are you guys plugging straight in to the Mac, or are you lining out from an amp or preamping the signal first?

Technically you should be lining out or preamping, as the guitar is an instrument level signal, which is MUCH lower than a line level signal.

If you are plugging straight in and this is the case you usually have to crank the volume of the signal in your recording in order to be heard well. Cranking it like this obviously will effect the signal to noise ratio in unpleasant ways.

With a line level signal from a line out on an a mp or preamp, the signal is already loud enough when it comes into the mixer.

Now, having said this, the tunes above sound just fine and I would love to know if they were a guitar plugged straight in as I will be getting my new PB soon and would love to be able to do the same thing!

Cheers!

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by James L:
For all the dudes here who are currently using a guitar and garageband,

Are you guys plugging straight in to the Mac, or are you lining out from an amp or preamping the signal first?

Technically you should be lining out or preamping, as the guitar is an instrument level signal, which is MUCH lower than a line level signal.

If you are plugging straight in and this is the case you usually have to crank the volume of the signal in your recording in order to be heard well. Cranking it like this obviously will effect the signal to noise ratio in unpleasant ways.

With a line level signal from a line out on an a mp or preamp, the signal is already loud enough when it comes into the mixer.

Now, having said this, the tunes above sound just fine and I would love to know if they were a guitar plugged straight in as I will be getting my new PB soon and would love to be able to do the same thing!

Cheers!
I plugged straight in my mac. The built in amps sound great for this. I, personally, have no level or feedback issues.

I've been in the studio many many times, and the experience plugging direct into the Mac is extremely similar to being in a studio setting. Appel did something amazing here. I have NO idea how they did it.

wolfgang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 04:39 PM

kulverse...
im still having feedback issues...what type of guitar are you using? Im using an EVH Wolfgang Special...

for jamesL...i'm plugging straight into the Mac with a radioshack adpater...

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 06:01 PM

I don't know. I'm not a gain junkie, and have the gain about 5ish on my main "amp" Perhaps thats why I'm not having any feedback. i also do not "crank" my volume on my speakers.

I've used an American Standard Strat and a Gibson SG.

srfdriver22
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2004, 01:21 AM

If there were a real amp involved, we'd have long since solved the problem with a simple pointer towards

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/b1.html
and
http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/vtb1.html

I have the C3 mic, and it is very, very nice.

and cheap.

NOTE: to use a condensor mic such as the b1, you NEED a mic pre-amplifier that can supply 48V phantom power to the mic. The VTB-1 still needs to be hooked up to the Mac's 1/8" input.

You CAN, however, use the pre-amp for guitars and run them directly into the Mac from there. You have the added benefit of having a pretty terrific (by all accounts and if up to their usual standard) mic pre-amp should you later (or sooner) decide to get a mic, as well.

-s*
Hmm, I'm confused. So you're able to simply take the cord from the guitar, plug it into the $3 convertor, then plug that into the line in on the back of your mac? Where is the power coming from? As I said, I'm confused. When I do this, there is no sign of any input being received to the line in via system preferences, sound.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2004, 07:07 AM

Hmm, I'm confused. So you're able to simply take the cord from the guitar, plug it into the $3 convertor, then plug that into the line in on the back of your mac? Where is the power coming from? As I said, I'm confused. When I do this, there is no sign of any input being received to the line in via system preferences, sound.
There can be problems with this, as you have noticed, depending upon the guitar pickups and other factors, such as impedance.

I'm more of a keyboard guy, though, so I don't really know what differences there are.

What kind of guitar were you playing?

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 26, 2004, 08:00 AM

Also, at first glance, this site (from another thread) seems like a good start for questions: http://www.macjams.com/

-s*

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2004, 08:15 AM

I dunno what to tell ya. It works just fine on my Dual 450 (upgraded to Dual 800). The levels are fine. This is getting redundant.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 30, 2004, 11:20 AM

I took my Boss ME-8 and plugged it into my Mac using the Radio Shack adaptor.

Sounds great.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2004, 11:53 AM

unfortunately, thats not the case...i have turned the input all the way down...and although the nosie is better, its still there...
Is it possible that the feedback is coming from your pick-ups? If you turn down the volume on your guitar, does the feedback diminish or go away? This could happen if your guitar was in too close proximity to the monitor speakers . . .

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2004, 12:01 PM

Also, if you turn up the gain all the way on the "British" amp simulator and the thing gets noisy as hell even when there's no input, that just means that the simulation is working accurately. At least, that jives perfectly with all my experience with real tube amps.

-s*

wolfgang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2004, 12:50 PM

the feedback is there whether my guitar is plugged in or not...it makes it really difficult to play any distorted or overdriven sim/effect as it is very noticeable, even while playing...

im really at a loss here, it can only be controlled with the noise gate and that cuts out the 'good' stuff too...lol

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 01:24 PM

Also, if you turn up the gain all the way on the "British" amp simulator and the thing gets noisy as hell even when there's no input, that just means that the simulation is working accurately. At least, that jives perfectly with all my experience with real tube amps.

-s*
Lol! You're right, though I doubt they'd build that into the modelling. One of the things I love about my Line6 Pod is that it doesn't mimic this aspect of the old tube amps too closely!

I haven't got a copy of GarageBand yet, but I would think a lot of you are having issues because you're plugging an electric guitar straight into the computer. I don't know any other software that can handle an electric plugged straight in. GarageBand might be able to jack up the gain somehow automatically, but I just can't see this working properly. I'm pretty sure you'd need some kind of pre-amp, amp or sans-amp before you go into the computer so you have line level at the line in. Piezos will probably work better so electric/acoustics shouldn't be too much of a problem but even then, I'd go through a pre-amp.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2004, 01:24 PM

the feedback is there whether my guitar is plugged in or not...it makes it really difficult to play any distorted or overdriven sim/effect as it is very noticeable, even while playing...
Either there's a problem with your input hardware or you have some other input open (like a mic).

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 30, 2004, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Troll:
Lol! You're right, though I doubt they'd build that into the modelling. One of the things I love about my Line6 Pod is that it doesn't mimic this aspect of the old tube amps too closely!

I haven't got a copy of GarageBand yet, but I would think a lot of you are having issues because you're plugging an electric guitar straight into the computer. I don't know any other software that can handle an electric plugged straight in. GarageBand might be able to jack up the gain somehow automatically, but I just can't see this working properly. I'm pretty sure you'd need some kind of pre-amp, amp or sans-amp before you go into the computer so you have line level at the line in. Piezos will probably work better so electric/acoustics shouldn't be too much of a problem but even then, I'd go through a pre-amp.

Actually it works just fine. you do not need a pre-amp at all. I plug straight in and have no issues. it sounds great (links above). Somehow it just works.

It sounds very authentic. I'm a gearhead, play though marshall heads and cabinets, play many live shows a month, and have recorded many many times. Yet, I have ditched my practice amp all together, and now just plug right into the Mac.

I play at a moderate volume, and gain at 5, so this may be why i'm not having feedback issues.

jackSprat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2004, 03:09 PM

Are any of you guys with great direct guitar to Mac success using guitar electronics that are active? The kind that take a 9v battery. That would make a huge difference to the output of the guitar vrs a regular p/up on a guitar. I think that what you guys are seeing is that the guitar active or not is basically just at the threshold of what is a strong enough signal to work with. I've encountered this sort of thing when working with PA gear and accoustic guitars. One guy did not have a pre/amp for his guitar and I didn't have another in my gear. We were on the threshold of getting a signal that was just workable. When I got a preamp for him then we had a truly workable signal that did not require turning all signals up just to be heard.

geekwagon
Senior User
Feb 3, 2004, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by jackSprat:
Are any of you guys with great direct guitar to Mac success using guitar electronics that are active?
Mine does (Powerhouse Strat) and it works great. I almost never actually have the boost turned up, but supposedly it is drawing power as long as the cable is plugged in so it might be boosting the signal.

I have seen this question posted on other forums and have seen people respond that their non-active guitars work fine, as well. It just seems to vary for some reason..

wolfgang  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 4, 2004, 01:49 AM

heres my problem and i suspect a possible hardware problem:

without any devices attached to the powerbook line in (AL, 1.25) i select NEW TRACK, REAL INSTRUMENT, GUITAR, METAL...as soon as i select MONITOR=ON, i get nasty nasty feedback...

it only occurs in GB, only with distortion effects, or high Pre-Gain Amp Sims...the line in is selected in Sound Settings and level is low...

thats my issue....and its really annoying...lol

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 04:19 AM

heres my problem and i suspect a possible hardware problem:

without any devices attached to the powerbook line in (AL, 1.25) i select NEW TRACK, REAL INSTRUMENT, GUITAR, METAL...as soon as i select MONITOR=ON, i get nasty nasty feedback...

it only occurs in GB, only with distortion effects, or high Pre-Gain Amp Sims...the line in is selected in Sound Settings and level is low...

thats my issue....and its really annoying...lol
Double check your sound input source - it should be line-in, and not built in Mic.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2004, 04:24 AM

Garageband has actually inspired me to learn to play the guitar ! I bought a Squire by Fender last weekend, and so far I know about seven or eight chords, can switch between some of them fairly quickly, and last night nailed the intro to One by Metallica.

Watch out world, there's no stopping me now !!

Seriously though - this is just the kind of creative inspiration that only Apple is capable of. I'd never thought that I was capable of learning to play an instrument, but now I've taken the plunge I'm finding it a lot easier - and more fun - than I anticipated.

Learning music notation is a headache though !

Is there any way to get Garageband to play a metronome continuously, without having to record what I play ?

Forum Links
Forum Rules