Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iTrip dissapointment: Am I alone?

iTrip dissapointment: Am I alone?
spreadlight
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 09:25 AM

Well, I bought an iPod, and iTrip to listen to my music on my cassette-busted 10 year old car radio. I must say, the idea just seemed totally cool: Transmitting from my iPod to an unused FM frequency. Well, big disappointment. Transmission is systematically poor, regardless of the frequency. Moreover, I must hold the iPod/iTrip unit only inches from the radio to maximize signal.

Anyone else having a similar disappointing experience? Or even better, am I doing something wrong?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2005, 09:46 AM

I've had great experiences with the iTrip.

Where do you live? Obviously, with bigger cities, you'll have more noise. Griffin does offer an app to help you find the best frequencies for where you live (in the US). Also, it helps to load the extra frequencies, some at the extreme band (if your car can get to them) work quite well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2005, 09:55 AM

I even modified mine and pulled the antenna out and it still sucks. Im looking at alternative opinons.

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 15, 2005, 10:03 AM

I was also sorely dissapointed. I think that with the iTrip it is hit or miss.... Some people love it others hate it. I am thinking of buying a new iTrip or a different brand FM Transmitter....

Also, I live in a rural area with sparse radio coverage.
27" iMac C2D

spreadlight  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 11:01 AM

I live near Miami, and I did load ALL iTrip freq. I tried many of them out, with very little success...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 11:35 AM

I had mixed success, and do prefer tape adapters over the iTrip.
What really suxx is that most new rental cars do only have a CD / radio combination, w/o a tape player. The iTrip is the only workable solution here.

I'm still waiting for radios with a line-in to become a standard. With all the iPods out there, this should be a compelling argument for / against a car stereo.

-t

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2005, 05:15 PM

I have long said that I will not buy a car radio unless it has a tape deck or line in.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2005, 06:13 PM

You might just have a bad iTrip. Contact Griffin. I'm not sure if they are still doing it, but they used to send you a new one, as long as you sent them a photo of the defective one properly smashed up and unusable. The first iTrip I bought sucked, and I thought it was just a crappy product that didn't work, but after a bit of reading on here, I figured maybe I had a defective unit. The replacement worked great. For what it's worth, my bum iTrip acted exactly like what you are describing. And if you haven't had it long, just take it back to the retailer and tell them it doesn't work and you want to exchange it.
Nemo me impune lacesset

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 07:02 PM

I didn't have much luck finding empty stations in the SF Bay Area and ending up just selling mine.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 08:20 PM

ThinkInsane is probably right, you got a bad one.
Mine comes in really well. My girlfriend picked it up on the radio in her car twice when I was following her. Driving through Vegas and Phoenix, it can even overpower some local radio stations.
I guess it's hit or miss, but I don't know what I'd do w/out my iTrip.

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2005, 08:46 PM

I didn�t like mine. Poor reception, difficulty tuning, so I sold it on eBay.

It just didn�t fit into my digital lifestyle.

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
ThinkInsane is probably right, you got a bad one.
Mine comes in really well. My girlfriend picked it up on the radio in her car twice when I was following her. Driving through Vegas and Phoenix, it can even overpower some local radio stations.
I guess it's hit or miss, but I don't know what I'd do w/out my iTrip.
I have to retract my good opinion of the iTrip. While it worked very well for the first 2-3 months, I ordered an Xtrememac Airplay yesterday.

It usually forgets what station it is programmed to after I turn off the iPod and it sometimes takes 3-4 tries to get the station programmed back in. Sometimes it won't even program the station into the iTrip even though the red light is on. It's kind of sad, it went from being one of the best product ever to the most frustrating, falling apart piece of crap like you expect to get cheap at Wal~Mart.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2005, 11:57 PM

Yes, the iTrip is disappointing. But, it's still the best available solution for getting your iPod's music through a factory cd deck. If you have a cassette player, use a cassette adapter. If you have a line in, use that. Otherwise, iTrip.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 11:57 PM

The iTrip sucks. The power output isn't high enough so there is always crackling and interference. I now use a DLO all-in-one charger and FM broadcaster and couldn't be happier with it. You pay more but the quality is worth it.

storer
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 12:16 AM

I hate my iTrip. I never use it anymore. It's useless, and I don't live in a city.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jun 9, 2005, 01:28 AM

Anyone have a good alternative?

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 01:43 AM

I'm using one of these with my Shuffle. It was only $15 and it works very well. It's not spread spectrum - it's available in two models: fm 87.9 and 107.7, which are apparently only used in a couple US markets. I've used it from West Palm Beach to South Miami with only very minor interference. You'd hear some signal degradation playing low volume classical with the windows up, but nothing if you're blasting Rammstein with the sunroof open

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2005, 12:45 PM

I used it on a trip in the middle of nowhere (geographically, in northern FL) and was totally disappointed. I had to hold the iPod in a very specific way and place to stop the static. It was terrible! I'll take my tape adapter any day. Cheaper and sounds much better.

bender
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2005, 04:30 PM

It's a little more work, but installing a car receiver that has an aux input will give you the best possible sound. I bought the JVC KD-AR560 (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Cqkysun...0&I=257KDAR560) and now my iPod sounds as clear as a CD.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2005, 01:04 PM

My iTrip sucks too. Reception is poor, quality of tranmission is garbage (very flat). Signal level is crap. And it won't change stations anymore no matter how much I try.

Luckily, I only use it when I drive me classics ('66 & '77 Lincolns) as the rest have cassette players.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 13, 2005, 02:41 PM

my itrip to has be reception
the best station i found to work was 107.9
try that one

jfelbab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 08:01 PM

I have an iTrip and have driven round trip between Milwaukee, WI. and Ft. Myers, Fl. three times and only have to change frequency near Nashville, TN. The unit worked very well for me even as I pass by Chicago, and Atlanta.

The audio is FM radio quality, which is pretty decent considering the road noise at 70-75 mph.

willdogg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by spreadlight
Well, I bought an iPod, and iTrip to listen to my music on my cassette-busted 10 year old car radio. I must say, the idea just seemed totally cool: Transmitting from my iPod to an unused FM frequency. Well, big disappointment. Transmission is systematically poor, regardless of the frequency. Moreover, I must hold the iPod/iTrip unit only inches from the radio to maximize signal.

Anyone else having a similar disappointing experience? Or even better, am I doing something wrong?
I had the same disappointing experience a couple years ago, when the iTrips first came out. Biggest waste of $39. I think being in the Bay Area had something to do with the poor reception. I ended up "hard-wiring" my iPod to my factory car radio with one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-aBSnGSn...p?I=469HO98AUX[url]

no more noise, no more static, no more finding an open frequency, etc.

good luck-

MU84
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 08:45 PM

I've had the iTrip here in central New Jersey, where I've been limited to 87.9, for a few months. The output, even with the iPod volume way up, is still rather weak and also crackles at high volumes. It's tolerable for music with little dynamic range but useless for symphonic music. I tried the RoadTrip!+ (the combination charger/FM transmitter) more recently. While more powerful, it also produced a noticeable buzzing sound which got louder with the volume knob. Back it went to NewerTechnology and now I'm back to the iTrip. :-(
128K -> IIcx -> PowerBook 140 -> Quadra 660AV -> iMac G3 DV -> iMac G4 15" -> PowerBook 12" C

potts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 09:05 PM

I am extremely surprised I have not heard anyone on here mention the XtremeMac Airplay FM Transmitter. I did some research before purchasing a FM Transmitter for my iPod and this solution seemed the best for me.

This transmitter uses the iPod's battery just like the iTrip so you can take it anywhere - your friends stereo at a party, any car, anywhere there is an FM radio. Some of the self powered transmitters, like the one from Monster are cool and work well, but only in a car where there is a cgarette lighter. I like to be able to bust out my iPod in someone's house and play my music. I just bring my charger with me in case the battery runs low. Note, the transmitters that are powered by the iPod's own battery do use significantly more power from your iPod and do drain the battery quicker.

Why the XtremeMac Airplay is better than the iTrip:
- no software to install and no crappy playlist of frequencies
- tuning is done using buttons on the unit so it is much easier to change frequencies than going to your iTrip playlist and selecting it there
- It is much smaller
- It cost the same
- In my experience, it sounded better and worked well (I have sat in cars in the back seat and just DJ'd songs while my friends are driving)

ALso important to note, I think a lot of people do not pay attention to the volume they have their iPod at when using FM transmitters - full volume does not necessarily provide the best sound, if not ever. It is important to adjust the volume for most transmitters between 50 and 80 percent. For different types of songs I have found that adjusting the volume helps with reception - example high bade high frequency song, lower volume on the iPod sounds better.

I hope this helps.

p e a c e

afreemanmd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 09:39 PM

I bought a podfreq and it seems to work fairly well, though i do have to change freqencies as I travel. It is also nice that it comes with a car charger so you don't run down your ipod batteries while using it

AquaX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2005, 10:00 PM

I have tried the Airplay, iTrip, Griffin Roadtrip, Monster iCarplay and a Belkin FM transmitter, and I have to say the best is the Griffin Roadtrip, but at $80 it's a little pricey. My 2nd favorite one is the XtremeMac AirPlay.

All are crap compared to a hard wire to your car stereo if you can afford it. I did one for my gf's Saturn for less than $80.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2005, 10:49 PM

The NewerTech roadtrips have worked well for one -- one for my shuffle (as someone previously posted) and one of the more recent models with power for my wife. Both seem to work ok.

We have a transpodFM, which gives pretty good reception, too. But it's a pain to install and remove the iPod, so we only use it for vacations.

None of these methods give sound nearly as good as a CD -- but in most modern (and noisy) cars, it does not really matter.

wrycooter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 12:50 AM

Line In beats Tape Adapters beats FM transmitters.

The rest of this is slightly off topic; For those of you using Tape Adapters, do you notice they pick up interference on the road, that seems proximity based? That is, I think it may be picking up Cell Phone usage from other cars, hearing the noise it makes when my cell gets a call. Heck, it might even be picking up Police Radar.

barang
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2005, 02:13 AM

Same problem here with the Belkin Tunecast. There's plenty of static and crackling to matter where I place it... I only ever use it in rentals that don't have cassette.

I was wondering if cigarrette-lighter style transmitters generally sound better/stronger?
"But the beauty of Grace is that it makes life not fair."

My Flickr

ashley_easter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 03:57 AM

My iTrip works well for me, but you have to consider these things:
- You need a good radio. Some just aren't strong enough receivers, and the iTrip is limited in what it can legally transmit.
- You need (who cares what Griffin says) the volume at about 80% for a decent signal-noise ratio.
- Soundcheck ON seems to help (you don't have to change the volume as much every song.
- You're never going to get as good results as you'd get with a cassette adapter or, even better, a line-in jack. Or a fancy direct iPod link thing, like in BMWs and Alpine stereos. Luck people.
- You have to be close to the receiver. And remember, cars are made of METAL = shielding if the ariel is outside the body. (Solution: strap iPod to roof. Bad idea.)

Having said all that, in general my iPod works really well on 102.9 MHz. Nothing seems to use that in New Zealand. An at home I can be 20 meters away from my Sony stereo in the kitchen no sweat, no issues. Line of sight seems to be important.

I like it still.
15" PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz 512 MB RAM 80 GB HD Radeon 9700 64 MB OSX 10.4.1
17" iMac G4 1 GHz 768 MB RAM 80 GB HD GeForce4 MX 64 MB OSX 10.4.1
PowerMac 5500 / 250 Black Mac - it's a laugh
40GB iPod Photo, iTrip and Evo2 Skin

Archmikus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 06:31 AM

Tried the iTrip with a 30GB iPod and the TuneBase FM for the mini. Both were garbage, at least in Rochester, NY.... and our airwaves aren't THAT saturated compared to a big city. FM transmitters are gimmicky and expensive. I'd rather put that money into a new head unit for the car. Obviously, if its the only option, that's fine, but I would avoid using FM transmitters if at all possible.
15" Al PB, iPod photo, 500GB FW Drive

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 06:39 AM

If you have iTrip, download the free iTrip Station Finder. For the US only, right now. Helps finding signals. Great for trips.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Debaser
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2005, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Zimphire
Anyone have a good alternative?
Monster iCarPlay (chages ipod and transmits) - VERY stable

they have it at RatShack. itrip stinks and eat your battery too.
"Well you wish upon a star..and then it turns
into a plane..."

-"Valentine", The Replacements

climacs
Senior User
Jun 15, 2005, 10:21 PM

i live in Phoenix. I drive a 2002 Corolla with CD/FM. I guess it partly depends on the quality of car radio? I have to use 87.9 freq. to get 1/2way decent sound. No other freq. works as well. I've found it wants a nearly empty frequency (all static), if I get any bleed from neighboring channels it sounds awful.

I have to position it in certain ways or I get static. I used to have to have it in my hand (I drive manual!) or stick it 'tween the thighs. But now I found if I stand it in the wellhole that's in the driver's side door armrest, it works alright.

I took it to Italy and yes I downloaded the European frequencies. It didn't work for ****. Partly because they have a VERY crowded spectrum, I think. Also because of all the hills, even if you find a good frequency, before long you'll drive into range of a station using it. I basically didn't get to use my iPod in the car on that trip. Oh well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules