Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Looking for iPad handle

Looking for iPad handle
Harvey
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2013, 05:47 PM

Has anyone come across a handle for the iPad that facilitates reading a book or newspaper online.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2013, 10:15 PM

I've thought this wasn't the worst idea. Never used it. There may be other options which are a riff off this style.

TKO Solutions

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2013, 10:22 PM

There's also this: Padlette

subego
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2013, 10:25 PM

And this for a more "full-case" solution: AirStrap - for iPad, black | Griffin Technology

I haven't used any of these, only thought about getting some type of one-handed solution.

sweetdream
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2013, 05:52 AM

I prefer to hold the ipad by hand. I don't think handle will make me feel better when reading. besides , it is no cheap.

andi*pandi
Jan 29, 2013, 11:08 AM

That padlette is a good solution for a cheap price! I think though any iDevice in my house needs more padding.

The pocket of my Booq acts pretty well as a handle for reading. Mine is an old model for ipad1, but this looks similar:

Folio, purple | Natural fiber folio case for iPad (2 & 3)

OregonJD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2013, 06:38 PM

Take a look at the Clutch4iPad. It fits the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation iPads. It allows you hand to grip the iPad and rotate it while keeping your hand in a natural position, as opposed to flat against the back or pinching at the sides.

Clutch For iPad -

ibook_steve
Jan 31, 2013, 08:31 PM

I use a Moko case on my Nexus 7, and they have a similar one for iPad. You flip the cover open and behind the iPad and it has a soft handle inside. They also have great customer support. There was a magnet issue on the one I had and they sent me a fixed one for free.

Search for them on Amazon.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

jskene
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2013, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
Has anyone come across a handle for the iPad that facilitates reading a book or newspaper online.
We've just put our design for an iPad handle, called TabHandler, up on Kickstarter. It's very comfortable to use for reading, and also can be used as a desktop stand.

If you have any questions about it that aren't answered on the Kickstarter project, please PM me.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2013, 06:04 PM

I kind of like these: Nite Ize - Steelie - The World's Finest Mobile Device Holder though I am unsure of carrying around a magnet near the cards in my wallet or laptop bag

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2013, 07:39 PM

I don't like the idea of grafting on a puck.

andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jskene View Post
We've just put our design for an iPad handle, called TabHandler, up on Kickstarter.
that is way to bulky for a mobile device, especially considering it is held on by tape and not easily removeable/replaceable. Perhaps if it folded flat. I do like how it holds the ipad up at a good viewing angle.

jskene
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
that is way to bulky for a mobile device, especially considering it is held on by tape and not easily removeable/replaceable. Perhaps if it folded flat. I do like how it holds the ipad up at a good viewing angle.
The TabHandler weighs only 2 ounces, and can be removed for travel. Even when not removed, if it's folded in it allows the tablet to fit into many carrying sleeves.

mygadgetlife
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2013, 05:05 AM

Hi guys

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I'm taking this as a shameless opportunity to promote my own stuff

I'm calling it PadCarry and it's a 3D printed handle for the 4th generation iPad.

Opinions are welcome.

I use mine every day and it pretty much fulfils the design goals. I am not a professional designer and I don't have pro design tools at hand (this was done in the free edition of Sketchup) so the fit/finish is not as perfect as I'd like. Plus there's the cost... what can I say? 3D printing is expensive.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2013, 05:17 AM

That's a carrying handle, though. Not one that can be used for holding it while reading.

The clip to fasten the frame looks awkward and prone to breaking.

hustoners
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2013, 03:11 AM

where do you want to place, bed or a desk.
( Last edited by hustoners; Aug 22, 2013 at 03:13 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2013, 03:17 AM

In hand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules