Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Local Price Thread

The Local Price Thread (Page 8)
reader50
Administrator
Nov 20, 2023, 11:08 PM

A couple days ago, I drove past a local Stickup and saw E85 for sale. First time I can recall seeing E85 locally.

$4.29⁹ per gallon. This is CA, and a Stickup (Chevron) to boot. But it still felt high, even for them. I'm not feeling the alcohol savings.

Maybe it's a promotion - for every 20 gallons of expensive E85, you get a free Fifth of a whiskey of your choice. But I didn't see a promo sign, and didn't inquire within the mini-store.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2023, 03:26 PM

Control Speedway over the weekend. Finally have some winter prices.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2024, 06:52 PM

Control suburban Speedway. First time since I started the thread it’s been below $3.

Speedy Freeze won’t budge. We need to invade a country.

Mobil in the city by Costco.

( Last edited by subego; Jan 5, 2024 at 07:17 PM. )

Thorzdad
Jan 6, 2024, 08:59 AM

Saw $2.59 at the Speedway near my house last night.
We have a Costco near us now. The wife says it’s always the best price.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2024, 12:57 PM

Prices seem to have stabilized, but what I have been noticing lately is the price discrepancy between cash/credit, normally $.10-$.15 a gallon, has been closer to $.25 a gallon. in a related vein, the jump to go from 87 to 89 is over a dollar a gallon!

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 7, 2024, 01:29 PM

The price of regular gas around me has bounced around for a while. It’s settling at around $2.35, +/-. It still jumps quite a bit at Valero stations (a refiner brand), with somewhat time related but lower changes at other stations.

I don’t want to be deep enough in the news to see what might be “causing” these changes. Fortunately we don’t use much fuel anyway, so instead of being a major issue with commuting, it’s more of an academic subject for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2024, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Saw $2.59 at the Speedway near my house last night.
We have a Costco near us now. The wife says it’s always the best price.
Groupon sent me an offer for a discount Costco membership, which was tempting, but I doubt I’d actually use it. I’m too hooked on Instacart.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 8, 2024, 09:27 AM

Instacart does Costco. Sometimes that's the only way to see what's actually in stock at the local store. Costco still thinks it's 2005 and that people want to go to a physical store and browse to see whether or not their desired items are available.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 8, 2024, 01:43 PM

To be honest, sometimes I DO want to actually look at stuff to decide if it’s what I want. But not usually Costco-type stuff.

Fuel prices aside, does anyone else see stations with car washes doing promotions? Around here I see two types: fill up and get a discount on the car wash, or (a more recent thing) buy a car wash and get a discount on the gas.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2024, 02:14 PM

We’ve had the bait-and-switch version around here forever. The discount with car wash is up on the board and “with car wash” is in fine print.

I do sometimes like browsing a store, and I feel it’s a necessity for produce.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Instacart does Costco.
Good to know! Thanks!

Edit: of course, in terms of checking what’s in stock, Instacart is pretty hit and miss. That might be a Kroger problem tho.
( Last edited by subego; Jan 8, 2024 at 03:53 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jan 9, 2024, 07:10 PM

$2.99, but I didn't have cash and ponied up $3.07.

Thorzdad
Jan 9, 2024, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
$2.99, but I didn't have cash and ponied up $3.07.
The only stations here that have different cash/credit prices are truck stops, and only at the diesel semi pumps. Cash/credit prices for passenger cars here disappeared about the same time pay-at-the-pump appeared.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2024, 09:22 PM

There’s got to be some sort of law behind that. I can’t imagine everyone deciding to do it voluntarily.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jan 10, 2024, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
The only stations here that have different cash/credit prices are truck stops, and only at the diesel semi pumps.
Same. And I can't imagine a trucker carrying around enough cash to pay for multiple $1200 fillups on a trip.

Thorzdad
Jan 10, 2024, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
There’s got to be some sort of law behind that. I can’t imagine everyone deciding to do it voluntarily.
I seem to recall there being some sort of legislation banning cash/credit pricing for consumer items, but there are too many cobwebs in my head to be sure.

I definitely recall tv commercials back in the day for (I think) a local furniture store where they declared “there’s always a discount for cash.”

Thorzdad
Jan 10, 2024, 10:11 AM

Same. And I can't imagine a trucker carrying around enough cash to pay for multiple $1200 fillups on a trip.
ATMs?

All I know is every truck stop I pass on the interstate have cash/credit prices for diesel on the big signs.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2024, 10:31 AM

Google is unsurprisingly useless on this front (this article is AI trash, no?).

From what I can figure, the higher credit card price is an attempt to get truckers to sign up for a chain's specific fuel card so they can pay with card and still get the "cash" price. I don't think anyone's actually taking $1000 out of the ATM next to the register just to get the cash price.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2024, 05:43 PM

No one is immune to the banal theft.

andi*pandi
Jan 10, 2024, 06:48 PM

every gas station here has cash/credit pricing, never mind the store cards BS etc... credit card companies take their cut and gas stations would prefer not to share.

I rarely carry cash anymore.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2024, 12:45 PM

Below $3 was short-lived.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 13, 2024, 02:01 PM

That Speedy Freeze is really effective stuff. Maybe you should limit sales within the city.

Thorzdad
Jan 13, 2024, 02:17 PM

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2024, 02:49 PM

They actually do! At least a foot in the burbs at that Speedway. Everything in the city is basically melted.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 14, 2024, 08:56 PM

Our local baseline prices jumped about 40-50¢ just about at the same time that the National Weather Service forecasts started talking about freezing temperatures. Coincidence? Not a chance.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2024, 12:19 PM

88 Octane E15 is running about $2.20 here, regular is about $2.30 at the right station. We're dangerously close to the $1 range, I can't believe the cartels are letting it get this low in an election year, especially when 98% of the complaints about the current administration are gas prices being too high.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2024, 12:27 PM

Sometimes I wonder if I’m on the spectrum. Do you ever wonder this?
Funny - last week was my 4th visit with my therapist, and she asked me the same question. I'm just wondering how many minutes into our first visit she was able to call it.

andi*pandi
Jan 17, 2024, 06:14 PM

Scored $2.92 at a South Shore Gulf, and it seemed to be same price cash/credit. I didn't get the ridiculous MaryLou coffee.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 17, 2024, 07:31 PM

We’re ALL on the spectrum. Or more accurately were all on a variety of spectra…. This is an actual professional statement.

Anyway, our local prices are still in the “let’s soak people because they’re cold” range. Not high enough to call it “disaster profiteering”, but high enough to notice.

Of course the self service pumps still have their 8086-based little digital brains asking 20 questions before you can actually pump the gas, so you feel like you could wind up looking like Nicholson at the end of The Shining, frozen next to a pump.

Slightly side note: I HATE both “buy our bogus fuel system additive through the pump” pitches AND the “gas pump radio/TV” crap that a lot of places run. I do NOT care what your programmers think the “hottest songs of the week” are, I just wanna get gas so I can go do what I want to do.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2024, 10:22 AM

Some of those pumps have a secret mute button, just start mashing the screen-side buttons until they shut up. Doesn't always work. I've seen a few stations that actually have the decency to label which one is mute.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jan 18, 2024, 12:19 PM

I strangely like the Speedway one. I find it comforting for some reason. It’s got a 90s feel.

( Last edited by subego; Jan 19, 2024 at 12:34 AM. )

andi*pandi
Jan 18, 2024, 02:01 PM

Some of those pumps have a secret mute button, just start mashing the screen-side buttons until they shut up. Doesn't always work. I've seen a few stations that actually have the decency to label which one is mute.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LifeProTips...mp_usually_by/
r/LifeProTips
LPT: You can mute ads at the fuel pump usually by pressing the 2nd button down on the right.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 20, 2024, 07:58 PM

Laminar and andi, thanks. I usually just try to ignore the stupidity, but being able to mute it feels like I have a bit more control. And I would hope that how often their programming gets muted is something the programmers collect. Because they should know how irritating their stuff is. Bleah…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2024, 03:33 PM

Been awhile since I’ve been in the burbs. Control Speedway:

Mobil by the Costco:

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2024, 09:47 AM

At the car wash I go to in the city. I’m sure I’ve mentioned, this place does in fact have a full service island, but are obviously afraid to tell you how much. Next time I’ll try to remember to check the pump.

( Last edited by subego; Mar 30, 2024 at 10:10 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2024, 11:17 AM

Wow! Are those prices substantially higher because they’re in Chicago proper, or because it’s a name-brand station?

Around here regular bounced up to about $3.00+ for a short time, then vacillated (because fluctuated sounds too benign) up and down based on whether Mercury was in Gatorade or something…. It’s settled to somewhere around $2.80+ at most places in my local area, and has only varied by a few cents now and then.

I got tired of trying to do a superscript 9 on my iPad, so you get “+” instead, and I think everybody will understand…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2024, 01:18 PM

This place is in a fairly nice neighborhood, and the nearest competitor is a half-mile away. I’m sure those are big drivers. On the negative side, it faces only one arterial street, and it’s nowhere near an Interstate.

Google says it’s $4.10 at the Mobil in the city I generally reference. That’s kitty-corner to a Costco.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 30, 2024, 09:14 PM

Gotta do what you can to compete across from a Costco. I wouldn’t want to set up a hot dog stand anywhere near one; competing for gasoline customers is big business.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2024, 10:09 PM

Oh, I forgot! Local prices (i.e., this place) for a car wash range between $10 and $23 plus tip. Definitely not the cheapest place, but it wins on convenience for me.

Thorzdad
Apr 1, 2024, 07:52 AM

Plus tip? You go to a hand wash?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2024, 09:53 AM

Hybrid. At $10 it’s just the machine. An extra $5 or $13 gets you progressively more human involvement.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2024, 01:53 PM

Almost out of gas, and needed a car wash, so I got killed at $5.16⁹ for regular. Only got 5 gallons. I went by the full service island, but no prices listed.

However, to my surprise the $15 car wash was free with the gas purchase, so it worked out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules