Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > imovie doesn't recognize my Sony video camera

imovie doesn't recognize my Sony video camera
nsoldgoat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 08:03 PM

I am new to Mac and had heard good things about imovie so was looking forward to using it. My problem is that the software does not recognize my Sony TRV900 video camera. I thought it might be a faulty cable so I bought a new cable but got the same notice that there was no camera attached. I checked all my connections and they were solid.
Anyone had this problem and if so were you able to solve it?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2007, 07:40 AM

richwig83
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2007, 04:53 PM

Ive got a Sony DCR-PC100 minidv and it works just fine with iMovie... via a firewire cable!

Boris_Noir
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 28, 2007, 07:16 AM

This is interesting - I have a high-end Sony Vid Cam and it isn't working with iMovie/Final Cut. I've searched allover Apple Discussions and the best I can find is that *some* models of Macs have tempramental USB/Firewire ports. But I don't buy that because everything else works fine for me.

I've tried lots of things - new cables, different macs, different settings on the Camera - which leaves me to believe it is the camera. But I know of other people with the same camera that use it. There's no reason to suspect the thing is broken.

On my G5 there is a funny almost cube like fire-wire cable. I've never seen anything like it before, do you using a firewire cable shaped like this will solve anything.

Forum Links
Forum Rules