Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I upgraded my RAM and MBP goes Pfffftt!!!

I upgraded my RAM and MBP goes Pfffftt!!!
MacNslash
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 05:31 PM

Long story short: I'd upgraded from stock ram to 2 gigs of mushkin ram from newegg. Things went well for about 4 hours then I started having kernel panics every hour or so. Returned that ram and got some ram from crucial. When that got to the house I installed that and my MBP wouldn't come on. It made the noise like it would come on but I never got the "Apple Chime" and my screen never came on. Currently my MBP is at a local Apple store.

Interesting side notes: Apple Genius installed Apple ram and the computer still didn't respond. Also, my brother who has a blacbook installed 2gigs of ram and his computer did the same thing. We're currently taking his computer to the same Apple store.

I didn't know if anyone had ever heard of this or expirenced this themselves. Thanks for any insight.

Rumor
Aug 8, 2007, 05:50 PM

It's possible that when you installed the RAM, you used too much force and damaged the logic board.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

MacNslash  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 08:35 PM

*sigh* Not what I wanted to hear.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Aug 9, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
It's possible that when you installed the RAM, you used too much force and damaged the logic board.
Unlikely. MBPs actually require a fair bit of force to get the RAM in. Besides, destroying both memory slots would take some doing.

Static discharge is also possible, though also unlikely.

I assume the OP has tried the original factory RAM in all possible combinations of slots? And done a PMU/SMC reset?

squeeks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by mfbernstein View Post
I assume the OP has tried the original factory RAM in all possible combinations of slots? And done a PMU/SMC reset?
well, he did say the apple geiuns installed genuine apple ram to no effect
SR MBP 2.4ghz - 4gig Ram - 250gb HD

greene_hornette
Baninated
Aug 9, 2007, 09:25 PM

Apple is running a SCAM on RAM!!! There is no such thing as "genuine apple RAM" - apple does not manufacture RAM and apple branded RAM does not exist in reality.

Apple uses third party RAM in their computers and charges a premium price for it as well, usually Samsung brand.

Forum Links
Forum Rules