Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > When is Mac OS 9.1 supposed to come out?

When is Mac OS 9.1 supposed to come out?
Finch1085
May 1, 2000, 08:07 PM

When is Mac OS 9.1 supposed to come out? I mean, I heard from many sites that Mac OS X consumer edition is supposed to come out this June at MacWorld New York, but nothing about when Mac OS 9.1 is supposed to come out. In fact, because of Mac OS X consumer edition coming out soon, will Mac OS 9.1 ever come out? And if it does come out, will it be at WWDC '00? Please answer as soon as possible. Thanks!

Misha
Professional Poster
May 1, 2000, 11:35 PM

Mac OS 9.1, or the bug-fix release of Mac OS 9, has come out. It's called Mac OS 9.0.4, and will most likely be the last version of the classic Mac OS, barring any major problems.

Finch1085
May 1, 2000, 11:57 PM

Are you sure about that? Because I heard Mac OS 9.1 was a version to come out after Mac OS 9.0.4...

iPaul UK
Senior User
May 2, 2000, 10:50 AM

Mac User UK seems to think that there will be a Mac OS 9.1

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 2, 2000, 10:58 AM

cool, that would be nice... but if MacOS X is on sched, Apple better blow 9.1 out the door in the next month, wouldn't you think?

i don't see it happening, but in this instance it would be nice to be wrong

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
May 2, 2000, 08:33 PM

What makes you think it has to come out before Mac OS X? System 6.0.8 was released after System 7.

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 2, 2000, 08:42 PM

and i suppose 8.0 came out before 7.6.1

the instance you quote is rather ancient history, no?

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
May 2, 2000, 10:07 PM

History repeats itself.

Finch1085
May 2, 2000, 10:12 PM

Why would Mac OS 9.1 come out after Mac OS X Client? That would be really, really dumb. I mean, people will be rushing to get Mac OS X. I wonder if anyone will be able to answer this topic...

Paul Crawford
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2000, 01:51 AM

Hi all,

Just wanted to note that there could be good reasons why Apple would continue to release Sonata/Minuet updates even after Mac OS X Client ships. (For instance, recall that X will not "officially" run on pre-G3 hardware, although recent DP releases of X, and the efforts of third-party accelerator-card vendors, have done much to work around this.) Not only has Apple done a little bit of this kind of parallel development in the past, but even Microsoft is currently doing much the same with the concurrent Windows 98/ME and Windows 2K lines.

As far as I know, there have not yet been any official seedings of 9.1 to ADC Select members. Then again, ADC Premier members and Apple's own Mac OS programming teams probably know more about 9.1's schedule. ;-) In any case, there *are* a few intriguing public hints scattered around on Apple's various web sites. For example, Apple's TIL article on Mac OS 9's Temporary Items issue, which hasn't been addressed in 9.0.4, implies that there will indeed be a 9.1 at some point in the future (see the script statement that reads:- '[...] if FinderVersion is less than "9.1" then -- version with problem [...]').

Regards,

--Paul

P
May 3, 2000, 05:30 PM

There is another reason for Apple to make yet another update to MacOS 9 - OS X actually runs the old MacOS in a compability box (though it's transparent these days).

To answer the original question: not for a while. Apple is putting all they have on OS X right now, and they'll be busy with the first bug fixes for a while after, but before the end of the year, propably. Don't hold your breath, though.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules