Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sherlock 2 question

Sherlock 2 question
Crow
May 9, 2000, 02:22 PM

I just read that Sherlock can index files, and then can search a lot faster.

I'm curious, can Sherlock index my backup CDs that I burn and then be able to search the index file for contents of the CD without putting the CD in the machine...

Crow

someone
Forum Regular
May 9, 2000, 09:44 PM

I'm really not sure. I don't think that you can search a drive that's not loaded, but here's something to try:

Find "TheFindByContentIndex" or something like that. I think it's an invisible file (Use the "Advanced Options" in Sherlock's Edit menu). ResEdit to make it visible (Download ResEdit from asu.info.apple.com .). Then read it in BBEdit Lite or something like that (barebones.com , I think). Perhaps it'll work, I've never done it before.

Good Luck

------------------
---------------------
someone who loves
Macs
someone who loves Macs

Crow
May 10, 2000, 09:43 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a try, and let you know...

Crow

someone
Forum Regular
May 10, 2000, 07:57 PM

I just did it. The FindByContentIndex is in TheFindByContentFolder on the root level of your hard disk. Once I made it visible and read it (In BBEdit), it appeared a bunch of gibberish. But scroll down, and you will see the name of some of your files! Yaaay! Do a search for a file that you know is on the CD, and other files on the CD might just be near it.

I'm just guessing....

------------------
someone who loves Macs

[This message has been edited by someone (edited 05-10-2000).]
someone who loves Macs

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 10, 2000, 08:05 PM

slammin'! nice idea, i can see the use of it anyway... maybe someone will refine the idea further here on the forums

Forum Links
Forum Rules