Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" PB and VirtualPC

17" PB and VirtualPC
mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 08:33 AM

Hi

does anyone with a 17" Powerbook have Virtual PC/windows 2000/XP running and use it on a regular basis?

if so, can you tell me how the performance of things like CD-Roms are when running under Virtual PC?

you know, like the extra bits you get on a Compact Disc Single or album that has the multimedia bit on?

cheers
mud
understand your lives are rubbish

Mohammed Al-Sabah
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 07:15 PM

i do use VPC every now and then .. esp to show my pc users but never did any hardcore stuff on it .. had Windows 2k on it and worked good.. esp on full screen looks gr8 on a pb17

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 09:16 PM

VPC 5 registered with an emulated 667 Mhz on my Rev A 17" for what it's worth:

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

I use it mainly with Microsoft's Picture It! photo software, which was kept after I got rid of my PC. It saves me from getting Apple's expensive photo software. Picture It! is only about 50 bucks...the results of a manipulated photo with this PC software used on my 17" with VPC 5 are on the above link.

The photo was stretched horizontally to make the face broader. The tip of the subject's nose was shrunk by warping. The backround was filled with cloned parts from the same picture, then cut out, blurred and saturated with color. Blemishes from the subject's face were cloned away. The mouth was cut out and re-pasted after adding more contrast and color and, well, you get the picture...no pun intended.

VPC rocks; just don't try to play graphically intense games with it. Otherwise it comes in handy.

bmhome1
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 09:55 PM

The video playback performance with VPC will be choppy at best.

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 02:01 AM

For fun with your Windows friends... hook up an external display to your PowerBook/Mac--preferably an old PC monitor--and run VPC full-screen on that, leaving OS X on your internal screen. Set an old PC keyboard and mouse in front of the monitor and connect them to your 'Book (or just leave them for show).

The setup will work an act just like a standalone Mac PLUS a standalone PC... except you can only use one of course. Separate them physically by as much as you can without showing the connecting cables. Tell your friends you decided to add a Windows setup. Or if you already have an actual Wintel tower to sit by the display, even better!

Then, when you move your mouse pointer between the PowerBook and the PC screens, the effect will astonish them. They won't even get what they are looking at, they'll just wonder how the heck you did it!

They'll catch on 8 seconds later, so enjoy while it lasts.
nagromme

wavegroom
Oct 10, 2003, 03:09 AM

Originally posted by nagromme:
For fun with your Windows friends...
In my office they have done the reverse! We are mac and pc users there, and work together.... (yes we can work together, even if we use different plattforms )

One has a old titanium powerbook and the other a new pc laptop. Both have ordered new displays, a Cinema Display 23" for the mac and a eizo 21" for the pc. Nobody thought that the mac display needs a adc or dvi connection and does not work with a vga connection.

So they switched the displays and are really happy..... The mac user is working with the eizo at 1600x1200 and the pc user with the cinema at 1920x1200. It was impressive that the pc laptop has a dvi out and can work a the native cinema display resolution, I haven't thougt that.
Stage 4 * Shipping * 15" Alu / 1.25GHZ / Superdrive / 5400 RPM Disk

Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2003, 07:35 AM

Originally posted by buddy1065:
It saves me from getting Apple's expensive photo software.
What "expensive" photo software are you talking about? iPhoto is free. (Or are you referring to something else?)
Agent69

Super Glitcher
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 10:33 AM

talking about photoshop? I run VPC/2000/XP. It's ok, I play pinbal.
"Thank you Mario, but our princess is in another castle."

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 06:34 PM

Yep I was talking about Photoshop. C'mon, no way iPhoto can make the before photo on that link look like the after photo. IPhoto cannot warp, stretch, cut and paste parts of the shot or make the backround blurred, to name just a few things "Picture It" can do. Photoshop would cost about $600 I think.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

Why spent that amount if I have Picture It laying around, and I am not a professional, just a hobyist who likes to toy with pics?

Am I right or can Photoshop Elements do a better job? Doubt it.

javabeans
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 09:22 PM

There is an open-source equivalent to Photoshop: Gimp @ http://www.gimp.org. I don't know if they have version for OSX but if you're hard-core enough you might be able to compile the application yourself.

Does anybody know if its been done?

Thanks...
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

tvfollower
Oct 11, 2003, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by javabeans:
There is an open-source equivalent to Photoshop: Gimp @ http://www.gimp.org. I don't know if they have version for OSX but if you're hard-core enough you might be able to compile the application yourself.

Does anybody know if its been done?

Thanks...
http://fink.sourceforge.net/pdb/package.php/gimp
+
http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php
=
What you need.

Forum Links
Forum Rules