Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Longhorn = WindowsVista vs. Apple's new codename...

Longhorn = WindowsVista vs. Apple's new codename...
inkhead
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 12:37 PM

Enjoy :-)

fopr those of you who didn't see that MS changed longhorn to WindowsVista:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...07-22LHMA.mspx

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2005, 12:40 PM

There seems to be an H missing. Is that the joke? I don't get it.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 01:52 PM

Spellchecker for teh win!

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 01:54 PM

It's not really a bad name.

inkhead  (op)
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 02:04 PM

It's horrible. what are you talking about? Vista? "VISTA?" what does this mean in english?

kilechki
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 02:25 PM

Well, it sure sounds like a pre-prepared slogan for future Apple's switch campaigns... "Windows [Halta la] Vista". Weird.
Worth than the name, however, is its introduction show.

But is this posted in the right forum?

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2005, 02:54 PM

A lot of people seem to miss off the leading "H".....
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 02:58 PM

I see you guys haven't spent much time on the dark side of the internet..

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Astalavista has been on the internet since 1997 and is so named after the even more popular astalavista.box.sk crack search engine that got it's name from the - then popular - Altavista Search engine. On their own webpage they keep the myth alive that they got their name from the famous quote from The Terminator movie to avoid legal trouble with Altavista. It quickly became the underground authority on hacking and cracking on the net. Amongst computer industry officials it is somewhat of a controversial website due to the nature of its content. However a large number of security firms, military institutions and individuals access the site everyday. A current google search yields just over 790,000 hits.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 03:52 PM

Makes you wonder now if M$ will put the pressure on said site since they are "defaming" the up and coming new release? Kind of a reverse situation of what Tiger Computing tried to do with 10.4...
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by inkhead
It's horrible. what are you talking about? Vista? "VISTA?" what does this mean in english?
1 : a distant view through or along an avenue or opening

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jul 22, 2005, 05:58 PM

I would think the person who approved this name had some common sense. I am guessing Vista means they are looking towards the future. If that is true than why not drop the Windows name altogether? The only reason Apple kept Mac OS was because X was the next logical step. The codenames like Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger help market the product to a larger audience. Mac OS X is very different from its predecessor but it still keeps a fairly consistent GUI and looks like a Mac. If Microsoft is promising a better operating system with a good GUI (hahahaha) then I would expect to see Microsoft Vista 2006.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ApeInTheShell
I would think the person who approved this name had some common sense. I am guessing Vista means they are looking towards the future. If that is true than why not drop the Windows name altogether? The only reason Apple kept Mac OS was because X was the next logical step. The codenames like Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger help market the product to a larger audience. Mac OS X is very different from its predecessor but it still keeps a fairly consistent GUI and looks like a Mac. If Microsoft is promising a better operating system with a good GUI (hahahaha) then I would expect to see Microsoft Vista 2006.
M$ can't drop the name "Windows"; "Windows has more brand value than "Microsoft". I know people who refer to Microsoft as "Windows"

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2005, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
1 : a distant view through or along an avenue or opening
it fits....what is viewed in the distance is the release date....heheheh.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

brother337
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 06:33 PM

I used to be smug about how far along osX would by the time this new version of windows comes out, but now I'm realizing that the mac os will probably be in the midst of a very awkward ppc - intel transistion.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by brother337
I used to be smug about how far along osX would by the time this new version of windows comes out, but now I'm realizing that the mac os will probably be in the midst of a very awkward ppc - intel transistion.
Not with Rosetta and Leopard.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 07:51 PM

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CUPERTINO, California—July 22, 2005—Apple® today announced that in response to MicroSoft's® plan to change the name of its long-awaited update to Windows XP to "Vista," it will change the working codename of its widely acclaimed operating system from "Leopard" to "thrown brick."

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

brother337
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2005, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by OogaBooga
Not with Rosetta and Leopard.
Hopefully rosetta and leopard will take the edge off the glass, but I don't see how a shift from PPC to intel is going to be anything less than difficult.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by inkhead
As per the built in dictionary in Tiger:

a pleasing view, esp. one seen through a long, narrow opening : a vista of church spires.
Synonyms are view, prospect, panorama, aspect, perspective, spectacle, sight, outlook; scenery, landscape.

I think it's a fine name, especially considering that it's one of those very few words that are pronounced more or less the same all over the world.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2005, 08:40 AM

What does "Vista" mean? Well, it stands for Virus Infections, Spyware, Trojans, and Adware. There's nothing that fits better!

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2005, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by gperks
What does "Vista" mean? Well, it stands for Virus Infections, Spyware, Trojans, and Adware. There's nothing that fits better!

Excellent.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by gperks

Ahhhh. An acronym. MS is very innovative indeed!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2005, 10:12 AM

First, I don't see what this really has to do with Mac OS, except for some dumb jokes. Secondly, "Longhorn" was and is a codename for a product that Microsoft has just decided on a commercial name for. The industry often uses codenames for projects that aren't yet ready for an official commercial name-even Apple. Get over it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules