Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Omniweb 5.1.1

Omniweb 5.1.1
superfula
Senior User
Jul 21, 2005, 01:09 AM

Omniweb was recently updated to 5.1.1, which is great to see. I love the browser, but this version is probably the most crash prone release I've ever used. I've found two bugs that crash Omniweb without fail

1) quickly hitting the command key a couple times
2) minimizing the window by any means...both command-m and double clicking on the title bar

I've submitted these via email to the Omni crew, but I know they peruse Macnn, so hopefully they can provide some input. Can anyone else duplicate my findings? And yeah, I've tried losing the plist and omniweb 5 folder
( Last edited by superfula; Jul 21, 2005 at 01:54 AM. )

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 01:33 AM

I really liked OW, but in my experience in using it, from the 5.0 on til the latest version, it was unstable and crash-prone. Nothing is more annoying than a browser that is crash-prone. As much as I want to like OW again, I'm sticking with Safari this time. It's fast and reliable. I do miss the OW tabs though.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 02:46 AM

Hasn't crashed on me yet. I've only had a few crashes, for some reason at Apple's quicktime movie site.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 04:40 AM

It's been fairly stable for me... but it's just so much slower than everything else (at least on my computer).
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

yskar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by RedHerring
It's been fairly stable for me... but it's just so much slower than everything else (at least on my computer).
I totally agree with you. OW is a very flexible and pleasant browser to use , but the biggest shortcoming is speed . I just hope the next version of OW will be as fast as other browsers at least...then I won't be using other browsers unless definitely necessary .

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2005, 10:18 AM

Well I got a reply back from Omni. Turns out if I disable WindowShade X, which I wasn't actually using anyway, the problems I saw no longer affect Omniweb. Good to know if wasn't just something in Omniweb causing the problems.

typ993
Jul 21, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by superfula
Well I got a reply back from Omni. Turns out if I disable WindowShade X, which I wasn't actually using anyway, the problems I saw no longer affect Omniweb. Good to know if wasn't just something in Omniweb causing the problems.
Unsanity has a new version of WindowShade out (v4). Were you using that or a prior version? v4 supposedly corrected some problems in Tiger.

I'll also echo the speed comments. I'm hoping that the new Webkit version will speed things up. Kind of surprised that Omni hasn't already put that in there. Well, waiting for 5.2.

RedHerring
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by typ993
I'm hoping that the new Webkit version will speed things up. Kind of surprised that Omni hasn't already put that in there. Well, waiting for 5.2.
If I understand correctly, OmniWeb uses a modified version of WebCore. Some of OmniWeb's advanced features require additional coding/tweaking/changing/something that takes extra time to get in there.

I could be wrong, but I think that's why they can't just plunk the new version in there (even though I also think I read somewhere... maybe here... that they are thinking of switching to the standard version of WebCore in the future). Anyone else read that or did I just make all of this up? Haha
RedHerring: Trying to do more than convert air into carbon dioxide since 1979...

hoopz
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2005, 05:24 PM

Well, for the record, superfula, I'm using the latest version of WindowShadeX and I don't get crashes.

My problem with OmniWeb under Tiger is that at random intervals--probably once or twice a minute--it beachballs for about five seconds while the hard drive chatters. Could this be a Spotlight indexing thing?

OmniWeb may be slower than other browsers; I don't know because I hate doing without OmniTabs and per-site preferences. It would take gross instability to pry me from OmniWeb.

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Jul 21, 2005, 08:32 PM

I had version 4 of WindowshadeX. It was just the eval that had long since expired. I just hadn't taken the time to get rid of it.

As far as page loading times, I really don't notice much of a difference amongst the browsers. Now the OW browser itself is a little heavier than Firefox or Camino, but it's worth it for me.

typ993
Jul 22, 2005, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by RedHerring
If I understand correctly, OmniWeb uses a modified version of WebCore. Some of OmniWeb's advanced features require additional coding/tweaking/changing/something that takes extra time to get in there.

I could be wrong, but I think that's why they can't just plunk the new version in there (even though I also think I read somewhere... maybe here... that they are thinking of switching to the standard version of WebCore in the future). Anyone else read that or did I just make all of this up? Haha
Here's the reply I got from Troy at Omni:

We're beginning work on this now. The update process will take some time since before we were only using parts of WebKit but once complete it should be much easier to keep OmniWeb up to date with the latest changes. Sorry for the wait here.
So we'll still have a wait, but goodness will be in our future!

minimalistmatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2005, 04:26 PM

I totally regret going up to 5.1.1 I've had about 8 wipeouts now, Crashes where I have to hold power and reboot . But hey all those old pages are still there 5 minutes later when I'm back up GREAT .

Emails from Troy tell me to try my system (10.3.9) with haxies off. I use windowshadeX, Xsounds and Shapeshifter. I don't want to live without omniweb but it hurts me less to live without it than to switch of those haxies just in the hope that my system won't go down. How many other browsers are there ?

I am now 90% reliant on NetNewsWire having taken the time to set it up properly. I never appreciated how useful it was before.

I thought NNW and Omniweb both used webcore so didn't understand why OW was so crap, but Redherring pointed out Omni has fiddled with it. I wish they could get it right, I miss my OW. couldn't they ask unsanity for some help if they can't tinker in a good way

Anyhow I typed this in Safari, first time I've used it in at least 6 months. Life's a Bitch

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 10, 2005, 03:08 PM

Is there any news on Omniweb updates at all?? I totally love the browser but speed-wise it annoys the hell out of me. Any news at all Omni-guys?? A time-frame wouldn't hurt either.......

mchladek
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2005, 08:15 PM

Wow, speak of the devil. I was just about to post in this thread about any Omniweb updates coming.

I've been hopping around among Safari, Shiira, Camino, & Firefox simply because they're all faster, but none of them seem as good as Omniweb, IMO.

So WHEN IS the speed going to come to Omniweb, Omniguys?

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 11, 2005, 05:49 AM

Me too - I do use other browsers but none are as good as OW5 except for speed

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 03:27 AM

OW development seems to have just stalled into nothingness.

Maybe Safari killed it, who knows?

It has been near 3 months without an update and even that was just a tiny Tiger bug fix.

My guess is that OGs time is just more valuable on their other apps anymore.

T

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2005, 05:53 AM

Safari hasn't killed OW (and the open sourcing of Webkit etc has more than likely breathed new life into it), but it is possible that OmniGroup are currently focussing on getting OmniGraffle 4.0 finished and released.

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 12, 2005, 05:55 AM

I don't think Safari killed OW 5 either, but some feedback or time-schedule would be appreciated.

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2005, 08:40 AM

I don't notice a terribly big speed difference between OW and Safari.
i look in your general direction

Ken at Omni
Sep 13, 2005, 11:25 PM

OmniWeb 5.1.2 is right around the corner (we should have a beta out this week), but the bulk of OmniWeb's development time is currently going towards moving to WebKit for OmniWeb 5.5.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 14, 2005, 05:17 AM

Thanks Ken

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 14, 2005, 05:28 AM

Thanks for the reply, Ken. Would it be possible to give a rough estimate as to when an Webkit-ready OW% would be available?

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2005, 08:34 AM

I know I asked this once before, but where is Omniweb located in Seattle? I was stationed up in Whidbey Island and thought Seattle was a beautiful city.

Plus, I love Omniweb. Still one of the nicest browsers I've ever used.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ken at Omni
OmniWeb 5.1.2 is right around the corner (we should have a beta out this week), but the bulk of OmniWeb's development time is currently going towards moving to WebKit for OmniWeb 5.5.
Would it be rude of me to ask whether the bookmark crashing bug is being fixed in 5.2.2? It is driving me CRAZY!

(sent in at least 30 or so crash reports and a few emails).

BZ

gregomni
Forum Regular
Sep 14, 2005, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by His Dudeness
I know I asked this once before, but where is Omniweb located in Seattle? I was stationed up in Whidbey Island and thought Seattle was a beautiful city.
Just north of University Village in the U District, overlooking the Burke-Gilman trail.

tom_omni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 14, 2005, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by gregomni
Just north of University Village in the U District, overlooking the Burke-Gilman trail.
Oh great, here come the villagers with torches now.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 07:52 AM

Sadly, the new beta does not solve my bookmark crashing bug.

BZ

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2005, 02:37 PM

What is your bookmark crashing bug?

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2005, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JKT
What is your bookmark crashing bug?
One out of every 4 or so of my "Updated Bookmarks" when I click on it to check it or open it up into a tab, OmniWeb crashes.

Must have sent in at least 20 crash reports if not more.

BZ

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2005, 05:01 PM

OK. Haven't experienced that myself, but then again I don't use the feature

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 16, 2005, 05:45 PM

is it still slow as hell?

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 16, 2005, 05:56 PM

Well, it's no firefox

christianclark
Forum Regular
Oct 27, 2005, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by nooon
is it still slow as hell?

Well. I have 5.1.2 now and to my opinion, it is slower than Camino.

But omniweb is WAY better with videos and Flash advertising.

Christian

brutal
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2005, 11:53 AM

Why don't they use a newer (and faster) version of webcore in OW? It shouldn't have any problems getting the same speed as Safari..
( Last edited by brutal; Oct 27, 2005 at 01:58 PM. )

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2005, 12:16 PM

They are integrating the opensource WebKit into OmniWeb 5.5. It should be much faster, possibly even faster than the shipping Safari at the time.

athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2005, 07:09 AM

Anyone else having stability issues in 5.1.2. I'm running tiger with all the latest updates and for me 5.1.1 was rock solid but now it seems to just crash once or twice a day for no very good reason. I think I may revert to 5.1.1 again.

regards,

Tam

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thinine
They are integrating the opensource WebKit into OmniWeb 5.5. It should be much faster, possibly even faster than the shipping Safari at the time.
I feel like I have heard that more than a few times.

OmniWeb 5.1.2 crashes on RSS feeds and other little things. It is not living up to speed and at the end of the day, Safari is getting used more and more.

Come on OmniDudes... fix these crashers, bring the speed and lets get a top of the line browser out there again.

BZ

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 1, 2005, 08:23 AM

I love the features of OmniWeb so much that I paid for a license some time ago. I just wish it wasn't so crash-prone. Speed wise, I can live with it since my machine itself is so fast, but the crash-per-hour thing has got to go.

OW could be my main and only browser if the stability issues could be ironed out.


athos_uk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2005, 09:28 AM

I agree. Personally, I'm not so bothered about speed, omniweb seems more than fast enough for me. And the features are second to none. But stability is a serious issue (at least omniweb remembers what sites you had open when you crash, which makes it bearable but still very annoying).

regard, Tam

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 05:01 PM

I also paid the $30 because I like omniweb a whole lot too but sometimes I feel like, I probably would have gave the money to homeless person.

I have a problem with speed. It's slow as dial up. That's so annoying.

Christian

christianclark
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2005, 05:02 PM

I also paid the $30 because I like omniweb a whole lot too but sometimes I feel like, I probably would have gave the money to homeless person.

I have a problem with speed. It's slow as dial up. That's so annoying.

Christian

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Nov 6, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by athos_uk
(at least omniweb remembers what sites you had open when you crash, which makes it bearable but still very annoying).

regard, Tam
It does? Are you talking about a Workspace? They don't autosave on a crash to my knowledge. I know they don't for me. If OW crashes and I haven't taken a recent snap of the Workspace, all those extra pages are gone.

gregomni
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2005, 04:40 PM

It does? Are you talking about a Workspace? They don't autosave on a crash to my knowledge. I know they don't for me. If OW crashes and I haven't taken a recent snap of the Workspace, all those extra pages are gone.
Whether it autosaves or not is set on a per workspace basis in the Workspaces panel. Bring it up (cmd-ctrl-0) and check the "Auto-save while browsing" button.

superfula  (op)
Senior User
Nov 7, 2005, 01:19 PM

Ah nice, thanks. I've never really messed with the workspace feature much.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 7, 2005, 02:05 PM

This is why I don't like haxies that much.

"This app sucks! It crashes all the time, unstable POS... oh wait... actually it was this haxie that was doing it"

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2005, 03:10 PM

I wrote a "What to do if OmniWeb is crashing" for the OmniWeb wiki. If OmniWeb is crashing a lot, try some of my suggestions here. Hopefully, they'll help.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 09:37 PM

Keeping old versions of haxies around that you do not use = bad. Keep things like that up to date or expect crashes as the system changes.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2005, 09:38 PM

Keeping old versions of haxies around that you do not use = bad. Keep things like that up to date or expect crashes as the system changes.

JKT
Professional Poster
Nov 7, 2005, 10:04 PM

Keeping any versions of haxies around = crashes in certain apps. OmniWeb is one of them, NeoOffice and other Java-based apps are others. Having APE and the haxies up-to-date doesn't mean squat for these apps. If people insist on using them, at the very least they should be aware that disabling them should be the first port of call for troubleshooting when things start going wrong with any apps or the system but, unfortunately, that just isn't the case for many.

kd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2005, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by hoopz
My problem with OmniWeb under Tiger is that at random intervals--probably once or twice a minute--it beachballs for about five seconds while the hard drive chatters. Could this be a Spotlight indexing thing?
Your problem may be caused by a browser history file in ~/Library/Application Support/Omniweb 5 that grows relentlessly. Try clearing your history, quitting Omniweb, then manually deleting all files in the above-mentioned folder that start with "History".

Forum Links
Forum Rules