Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Bluetoothing an iMac G5 - internal v. external

Bluetoothing an iMac G5 - internal v. external
mkraft
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 3, 2005, 02:06 PM

Is it preferable to get an iMac G5 with an internal bluetooth v. an external USB bluetooth adapter (e.g., the D-Link DBT-120)?

Or is the external adapter actually the better choice?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2005, 10:08 PM

The internal adapter is only a better choice because its one less dongle/USB device to take up a USB port. I have internal on my eMac and external on my older (CRT) iMac. They are functionally equivalent ... I see no advantage to one over the other EXCEPT what I mentioned about it being nice to have the BT "in-the-box" so you don't have to worry about it. Externals would be upgradeable and probably cheaper.

The iMac G5 is pushing 7 months old now. If you are not in a rush, I'd bet the next rev will have BT 2.0.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2005, 02:56 AM

Internal all the way, unless you can get a really good deal on a non-BTO model. The only downsides to an external unit is 1.) you have something poking out the rear of your iMac and 2.) it uses a USB port.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2005, 02:47 PM

Since money is an issue to me, I handle it the following:

Laptop, internal - desktop, external.

On my Mac mini, I have an USB-hub which holds my D-Link adapter and all the other stuff. On my iBook I wish I had internal BT, it was a pain in the arse to take care of that little adapter. I wonder how I managed not to loose it in one year. That's a ****ing miracle!

Leo the 3rd
Mar 8, 2005, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
Since money is an issue to me, I handle it the following:

Laptop, internal - desktop, external.

On my Mac mini, I have an USB-hub which holds my D-Link adapter and all the other stuff. On my iBook I wish I had internal BT, it was a pain in the arse to take care of that little adapter. I wonder how I managed not to loose it in one year. That's a ****ing miracle!
andreas_g4 - Have you experienced any issues with an external Bluetooth (D-Link) and after putting the Mac mini to sleep, when waking up Bluetooth does not respond? I've had this issue a few times and was sure what is causing the problem.

Forum Links
Forum Rules