Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone get 1GB RAM free (Lifetime Memory Products) with 15" PB from MacConnection?

Anyone get 1GB RAM free (Lifetime Memory Products) with 15" PB from MacConnection?
nagromme
Senior User
Mar 4, 2005, 12:30 PM

I got that 1GB MacConnection deal at the end of 2003. The RAM they pre-installed was from "Lifetime Memory Products"--and BOTH 512 modules failed Apple diagnostics, interfering with me getting unrelated warranty service. (Luckily Apple didn't charge me.)

Lifetime Memory Products wasn't easy to deal with, but I finally got replacements using their lifetime guarantee. And it happened again.

So, 4 bad modules in total from Lifetime Memory Products. They WORK OK, but fail diagnostics. Therefore Apple removes them (sending them back in a safe bag) but can't do further work on my machine. So I'll have to dig up the original Apple RAM that MacConnection removed (but did include in the box).

I'm wondering if other people have had problems with this RAM failing tests? I don't want to end up with SIX bad modules from Lifetime. Maybe I need to get MacConnection to provide a different brand of RAM... but after 15 months, that won't be an easy thing to get.

TIA!
nagromme

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Mar 15, 2005, 03:49 AM

Update: I ran Hardware Test and the RAM passed.

Does Apple run some super-test at their repair centers that would catch issues I can't catch with Hardware Test?

Both MacConnection and Lifetime Memory say that this RAM DOES meet Apple specs, and Apple gave me no details on what the failure in question might be.

I think I may just keep the bad RAM... I'm not getting crashes
nagromme

Leo the 3rd
Mar 15, 2005, 05:04 PM

I too had a similar issue recently. RAM purchased (2 512MB chips) from OWC which Apple support says failed and possiblely caused the white spot problem on my LCD. OWC was willing to replace it but left that up to me. Again, both chips passed the Hardware test both Quick and Extended. Go figure. I'm curious what test Apple is seeing that has them flagging, removing the RAM and then informing me that in the future if 3rd Party RAM caused a problem the warranty may not be valid. Last I looked Apple certified RAM was $150 per 512MB chip.

Yeah, I do believe in keeping my system in tip-top shape, but I would like to know what test they're running that catches what their user supplied Hardware Test is failing to catch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules