Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > I can't turn the sound off on these ninjas!

I can't turn the sound off on these ninjas!
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 22, 2007, 06:45 PM

Right clicking on these banner ads in the forums reveals a "Settings" option that is greyed out. Muting my computer is not an option. Do I need to employ some sort of sneaky selective ad blocker because of the banners on the 'nn? This is lame.

BTW, I've got three tabs open all with different forum pages loaded, and they're all playing this awful ad with NO option to mute or stop playing.
ice

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2007, 09:19 PM

Thanks for posting this. I was playing iTunes while surfing tonight, and all of a sudden, I got this stupid music, and I didn't realize where it was coming from for a second. I figured it out, but it's annoying as hell!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2007, 09:26 PM

I've never seen an ad on MacNN thanks to the Firefox ad blocker extension, FWIW.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 23, 2007, 08:26 AM

I reloaded a page 3 times and kept getting the ad.

mkbhatia
Administrator
Mar 23, 2007, 02:52 PM

These ads appeared from one our third-party networks and as soon I knew about them around 2 pm PST, I had the entire network shut-off until the ad was removed. I also made sure that this would not happen again with that network. I think the ads were gone from rotation around 6 pm PT.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

best,
monish

Railroader
Banned
Mar 23, 2007, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I've never seen an ad on MacNN thanks to the Firefox ad blocker extension, FWIW.
There's nothing quite like taking away someone's ability to make a living is there?

Considering that MacNN has some of the lowest levels of intrusive ads and respect their audience's wishes (as show above), I won't consider blocking their ads.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 31, 2007, 06:23 PM

thanks monish. yeah, I'm all for ads, they're generally fine. Employing ad blockers and such isn't something that one should have to do just so they can utilize a quality web destination(this place).
ice

Kevin Moon
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
There's nothing quite like taking away someone's ability to make a living is there?

Considering that MacNN has some of the lowest levels of intrusive ads and respect their audience's wishes (as show above), I won't consider blocking their ads.
Get over it. If a site can't make it without the use of ads they obviously had nothing of value to offer in the first place.

Railroader
Banned
Apr 1, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Moon View Post
Get over it. If a site can't make it without the use of ads they obviously had nothing of value to offer in the first place.
Nah, you "get over it".

How would a site "make it" without ad revenue? Do you suggest a subscription service based site? Donation based?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2007, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Moon View Post
Go take an introductory economics course at your local community college, now.

To wit: If a site does not take money from its visitors or from third parties, it isn't making any money. That is not a situation conducive to "making it."
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 06:48 PM

They should make Firefox that it loads the pic, but doesn't display it. That way, it will get reported as a hit, w/o you having to see it.

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
They should make Firefox that it loads the pic, but doesn't display it. That way, it will get reported as a hit, w/o you having to see it.

-t

Right. If MacNN is selling product placement to these ad providers, there is no way the ad providers will know that I'm using an ad blocker. If MacNN is making money on ad clicks, there is no way in hell I'm going to click on one of those ads anyway regardless of my ad blocker, no offense MacNN, I do appreciate you.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 07:04 PM

I'd like to see one of those ninjas... Is there a screenshot?

Railroader
Banned
Apr 8, 2007, 08:54 PM

-t
That is essentially the same thing. Actually, it's slightly questionable because it borders on fraud.

Ads are there for a reason. They are easy to ignore. Pretty much anyone who uses an ad-blocker isn't going to click on one any way, so there's no real reason for that person to block them other than to be cool and brag about how they are "beating da man".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 09:12 PM

That is essentially the same thing. Actually, it's slightly questionable because it borders on fraud.

Ads are there for a reason. They are easy to ignore. Pretty much anyone who uses an ad-blocker isn't going to click on one any way, so there's no real reason for that person to block them other than to be cool and brag about how they are "beating da man".
It all depends if MacNN gets paid for views or click-thru's.

If they get paid for views, yes, it would be sort questionable, but I wouldn't call it borderline fraud.

Would it be fraud to close your eyes everytime when reloading the MacNN page, and then with closed eyes scroll down a bit so the top ad banner disappears ? It's not fraud, because I'm in no legal commitment to look at that ad.

If they are paid per click, they won't make money of me anyways, so I don't see a problem at all.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Apr 8, 2007, 09:22 PM

It all depends if MacNN gets paid for views or click-thru's.

If they get paid for views, yes, it would be sort questionable, but I wouldn't call it borderline fraud.

Would it be fraud to close your eyes everytime when reloading the MacNN page, and then with closed eyes scroll down a bit so the top ad banner disappears ? It's not fraud, because I'm in no legal commitment to look at that ad.

If they are paid per click, they won't make money of me anyways, so I don't see a problem at all.

-t
All good points, but don't you find it odd that some one who spends a lot of time here would actively lead to the site's demise? I do.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2007, 11:04 PM

All good points, but don't you find it odd that some one who spends a lot of time here would actively lead to the site's demise? I do.
Well, yes and no, the point of contention were annoying banners that have sounds.
If that would become 'NN's prime source of ad income, I'd be gone. And I wouldn't care too much about 'NN going down with that.

-t

Railroader
Banned
Apr 9, 2007, 12:03 AM

I think it was made abundantly clear early in the thread that that was not MacNN's intentions.

Originally Posted by mkbhatia View Post
These ads appeared from one our third-party networks and as soon I knew about them around 2 pm PST, I had the entire network shut-off until the ad was removed. I also made sure that this would not happen again with that network. I think the ads were gone from rotation around 6 pm PT.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

best,
monish

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 01:27 AM

I think it was made abundantly clear early in the thread that that was not MacNN's intentions.
I know, but it ultimately doesn't matter. If they make their money by ads, and they can't control it, it will be their own demise.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules