Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can I stream itunes to a blu ray player?

Can I stream itunes to a blu ray player?
macfantn
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2010, 08:35 PM

I have the original apple tv and am thinking of replacing it with a blu ray player. Can I stream from my mac to a blu ray player?
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 15, 2010, 11:57 PM

Awesome.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2010, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by macfantn View Post
I have the original apple tv and am thinking of replacing it with a blu ray player. Can I stream from my mac to a blu ray player?
In some setups you can, but you probably will need 3rd party software.

Beware of some of the more "flexible" Blu-ray players though. I bought an LG BD570 that was able to detect some networked stuff, but the BR player itself was utter crap. Buggy as hell. I could actually get the player to lose audio completely just by cycling through the audio tracks. The only way to get audio back again was to reboot the machine. How stupid is that?

Then I bought a Sony BDP-S370 Blu-ray player and it is way better for Blu-ray playback, and while it is more restrictive for file types than the LG, it handles them much better. Unfortunately, it seems to be extremely picky with streaming options. For now I'm just using a USB flash drive to play back MKV video on the thing and I am not bothering with streaming.

Plus, even if you find a setup (player plus 3rd party software) that does handle iTunes audio streaming, it won't work for DRM'd files.

The other option of course is just to keep your AppleTV and get a Blu-ray player. For, me, I just never bothered getting the AppleTV because I couldn't really find a use for it. iTunes is far too restrictive for video.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 16, 2010, 12:45 AM

Just get an HD-DVD player.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2010, 12:46 AM

I don't think you're adding much Laminar.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2010, 09:24 AM

I think you can do it with a PS3.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I don't think you're adding much Laminar.
It's like you've stumbled upon some sort of secret.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2010, 12:06 AM

You could just get a receiver with multiple inputs, then you don't have to worry about a Blu-Ray player supporting streaming. Keep the Apple TV and just connect both the Apple TV and Blu-Ray player to the receiver.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2010, 12:49 AM

So I sort of got streaming working on my Sony Blu-ray player, from my Windows 7 box. However, it stutters, despite my having a wired Gigabit backbone (and 100 Mbps support for the network jack on the Sony player). So, no, it still ain't working properly.

Works fine burned to BD-R (just as an MKV file). Problem with my FAT32 USB drive is that only smaller files are supported by the file system. Ginormous 10 GB MKVs require NTFS, but I don't think my Sony BD player supports that, although I know that other BD players will play nice with NTFS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules