Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Would you buy a new PowerMac now?

Would you buy a new PowerMac now?
S_Lanaway
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 09:01 PM

Hi folks,

I am ready for a new computer for home to do music etc. I'm going to move my current one to my office as a new work station.

If you were me, would you buy a new G5 now, or wait for a bit more.

I know that no one can know for sure when releases are coming out, but it seems like we're almost due?.....

I would hate to buy one now and then 3 weeks from now the new dual powercore 3ghz comes out.....

What would you do?
http://www.titancreative.com
http://www.scottlanaway.com

daiSho
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 09:10 PM

i was in the same boat you are up until last week... i acquired a rev.A 1.6GHz G5 tower to tide me over while i wait for the new Powermacs to show up finally, which let me go ahead and get the cinema display i've been wanting for so long... personally i think if you aren't in dire need of a G5 right now, its a good time to hold off for the next incarnation to surface..

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Mar 16, 2005, 09:20 PM

just go ahead and wait a couple months. it'll be worth it.

S_Lanaway  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 09:21 PM

Hmmmmmmm. Patience my son.........

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 09:57 PM

I just bought a refurb'd 1.8 tower for $1,300. For the work I do at home it's more than enough for me.

S_Lanaway  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2005, 09:58 PM

Sounds like you got a great deal. i really want new though........

Squozen
Mar 17, 2005, 01:59 AM

I am waiting for dual-core.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2005, 02:06 AM

Although I love the current line (*hugs* Rev. B DP 2.0), now is not the time to buy unless you're desperate for it. The next revision most certainly will be out by WWDC (late June).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

S_Lanaway  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2005, 10:38 AM

You make sense. But that's 3 months away. Then it will have been 1 yr since updates!!! maybe with Tiger in April (fingers crossed)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 17, 2005, 11:08 AM

If you can wait, wait. The Power Macs are overdue for an update, even if it might not be for a few months. The biggest benefit is being able to get say a dual 2.0 for less money, and getting Tiger for free too.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 17, 2005, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
If you can wait, wait. The Power Macs are overdue for an update, even if it might not be for a few months.
Despite the latest confirmation for the 970MP processor, I doubt that the new Power Macs will come before WWDC. Even then, I don't expect them to ship in big quantities before this year's autumn. So, if someone needs a Power Mac, I think (s)he can safely buy one now, unless (s)he is willing to wait for 5-6 months.

The biggest benefit is being able to get say a dual 2.0 for less money, and getting Tiger for free too.
Yeah, that's true.

osxisfun
Mar 17, 2005, 12:27 PM

booboo said NAB. That's less than a month and if you get the mid or lowerend models i'd bet they are shipping right away.

OreoCookie
Mar 17, 2005, 01:40 PM

Take a look at the buyer's guide of macrumors.com. This is a lot, lot more reliable than any rumor, it's marchitecture.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 02:02 PM

You guys worry about updates too much.
Agent69

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 02:06 PM

$2000-$4000 isn't exactly chump change, especially for a student. Worrying is necessary.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2005, 07:38 PM

If you need a computer, buy one. If not, don't. Your computer doesn't suddenly become useless just because a newer one is released.
Agent69

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by Pierre B.:
Despite the latest confirmation for the 970MP processor, I doubt that the new Power Macs will come before WWDC.
Last year the Power Macs came before WWDC.

Originally posted by Agent69:
If you need a computer, buy one. If not, don't. Your computer doesn't suddenly become useless just because a newer one is released.
These comments even more annoying than the "When will the next Power Mac come out?" questions.

Obviously, it concerns him. It's called bang-for-the-buck. You can be damn well sure that if I bought a computer in March and a newer and faster one came out for the same price or cheaper or with some new feature just one month later, I'd be p!ssed.

If he was buying in August, yeah, go for it, but now in March, if you can wait for a few months then wait. If you can't, then don't.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 17, 2005 at 08:13 PM. )

Racetrackrat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 09:37 PM

Well, since I just ordered a new Power Mac 3 days ago (see sig) I can tell you what went through my head and why I did it.

I started wanting/needing (well, in MY head needing anyways =P) a nice desktop to finally make the switch and have a Mac as my main computer. I have a few windows boxes that serve pretty much as game rigs right now. The G3 iBook just cant quite cut it as my main box as much as I love it. Also wanting to get back into some graphic arts type projects, DV, photos, ect. About a month ago, I talked myself into waiting. But that changed and I ordered just a few days ago. Why the change?

Having built and bought a few computers, you'll only stay "top dog" for a short while. True, a short while sometimes lasts almost a year in the power mac world. Not a concern for me to be the top dog

Would the current computer that I can afford last my needs for about 3 years (about all I can stretch any computers real usefullness to) Yes, a dual 2.5 will have more than enough power to last any foreseeable needs.

My desire to rid the windows machine as my "main" computer was just growing more by the day.

Could my checkbook handle the current purchase or should I wait and see if a price drop happens. Yes it could, in the computer world, if you waited for the lowest price on something, you'd get the part 2+ years after it came out. Saving money is always good, but I can handle it if the price drops in a few months and avoid the urge to jump off a cliff.

As for Tiger. Well, for me, I'll have to purchase it anyways to upgrade my laptop, so no real big deal to throw a couple more dollars and get the family version of it.

If you are someone who would get the latest/greatest computer, history has shown even with a quick click of the mouse button to buy it opening day still may result in a 4+ week wait for it. The current computers ship right now

New stuff may have some bugs/problems with it. Something out for a while tends to be more stable.

Short of Steve Jobs coming in the forum and posting Yes there is a new power mac/upgrade/price drop in the next couple months, your waiting may be for nothing. True, we are long over due for one of those things, but that doesnt mean it'll happen.

Only you know your current needs, situation and desires. Just a brief insight into my thought process of my situation/choice.

Either way you go, we know you'll enjoy the machine

*Looks over at the 3 windows machines in the room with disappointment*

*Wishes there was someway to put more ram / cpu speed in the iBook to reward it, but dont worry, you'll be getting a big brother real soon* lol
-Dual 2.5 Ghz Power Mac G5, 2.5 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 570 GB HD space
-12" iBook @ 900Mhz G3 40GB hard drive
-15GB 3G iPod, 1GB iPod Shuffle

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2005, 09:39 PM

If you're planning on high end then I'd wait if you're going low end grab a deal now. That said, I think if we see em at WWDC we'll see quads or at least REALLY high duals. If not then we'll see it within a few months. Either way I wouldn't buy a 9 month old product line...

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2005, 09:52 PM

Exactly. I'm typing this on a 5-year old G3 Powerbook. Even though it's fun to have the latest and greatest, for my personal needs I don't need a dual 2.5. The 1.8 will be just fine, with the added benefit of being upgradeable versus the 1.8 iMac, which is essentially the same computer.

If I feel the need for speed I can use the machines at work, full of more dual processor boxes, scanners and output devices than I could ever need.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2005, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
Exactly. I'm typing this on a 5-year old G3 Powerbook. Even though it's fun to have the latest and greatest, for my personal needs I don't need a dual 2.5. The 1.8 will be just fine, with the added benefit of being upgradeable versus the 1.8 iMac, which is essentially the same computer.

If I feel the need for speed I can use the machines at work, full of more dual processor boxes, scanners and output devices than I could ever need.
Why not rub our faces in your exquisite work environment.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2005, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Why not rub our faces in your exquisite work environment.
Did I mention the experimental 16-way 4GHz G6 with 4 TB of memory and thought control?

Olorin
Mar 20, 2005, 03:43 PM

About a month ago I bought a dual 2Ghz, and I have to say that I absolutely love this baby. I suppose waiting a few months for a newer model would have been a better economic choice. But a few months is a few months and we all know how long it takes apple to get new products shipping in a realistic supply. Basically if you are trying to be economically safe by buying the newest, and therefore losing the least amount of money on a sale a few years down the road then go a head and wait. Otherwise the current line is awesome enough I think.

Best case scenario apple releases new powermacs at the end of march. The higher end models have a wait time of 2-3 weeks and the lower end models may has a wait time of 7 days. Any better than that, and I will eat my own head.

Also, I highly doubt all powermacs will be dual core if any are dual core at all. Just because some info slipped out from IBM doesn't mean these chips are ready yet. I bet it wont be till next year that we see dual cores.
"Not all who wander are lost." ~ Gandalf

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2005, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Olorin:
Also, I highly doubt all powermacs will be dual core if any are dual core at all. Just because some info slipped out from IBM doesn't mean these chips are ready yet. I bet it wont be till next year that we see dual cores.
Just FYI, the first information on the 970MP slipped out July 2004.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2005, 08:47 PM

I was in the same boat, but I just picked up a referb dual 1.8 (1 year Apple warranty).
I just couldn't get over the price.

Just remember---there's always something bigger, better, faster right around the corner--always has been, always will be.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

S_Lanaway  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 22, 2005, 01:17 AM

I guess i can survive a while longer with my souped up G4 at home. Hope the next ones are a significant jump forward in specs or else I'll realy wish I hadn't deprived myself of a nice new machine for so long!......

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2005, 09:08 AM

Yeah, it can be a bit of a crap shoot.

Personally, I would like to see Apple put in a 16x PCIe slot in the next PowerMac, since that is where video cards seem to be going.
Agent69

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2005, 01:24 PM

Hold your horses. Some schools are selling the G5 tower 2.5 GHz dual for $2,199. The 20" aluminum Cinema is even bundled at $799.

4/1 or 4/18. It's clearance time. Don't catch falling knives.

cdetdi
Mar 25, 2005, 01:31 PM

Where?
I'd rather be playing ultimate...

1.5G4 15" AlBook

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 25, 2005, 01:36 PM

Art Center College of Design. I think UCLA will follow very soon, because they typically are the first one to have lower prices. For example, the edu price on the 2.0 dual was $2,299 (still is that), but UCLA sold it for $1,999 since day one!

OtisWild
Mar 25, 2005, 07:03 PM

Yeah, it can be a bit of a crap shoot.

Personally, I would like to see Apple put in a 16x PCIe slot in the next PowerMac, since that is where video cards seem to be going.
Not to mention they should be building the next mobo with at least dual SLI.

Also, given PCIe has full-duplex bandwidth (as opposed to AGP, with roughly the same bandwidth but only from host to card) being able to let the GPU do some rendering should help video processing immensely.

I think if Apple could come up with some non-GPU-proprietary method of managing multiple PCIe cards ala SLI, for example having one card do display and one or more help with render, or do load balancing as needed, that would be right up their alley.

Forum Links
Forum Rules