Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPhone pains

iPhone pains
darkfusion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2007, 11:52 PM

I went to AT&T today looking at the iPhone because I thought it would be just better then having to carry my cell and the iPod touch. So I went in there, getting ready to buy it when the AT&T rep. told me I had to put a $500 deposit down. WTF??!?!?!?!

I did the samething over at alltel and had to put nothing down. Damn this has been a bad day.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2007, 12:33 AM

Sounds like you don't have good credit (or no credit history). That is a big deposit though. Did they say when you would get it returned to you?

darkfusion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Sounds like you don't have good credit (or no credit history). That is a big deposit though. Did they say when you would get it returned to you?
Well I worked some but dont have pretty much no credit. They said I would get it back in one year. Long time to wait for $500.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 9, 2007, 02:25 AM

....That's why you go to the Apple Store.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2007, 02:32 AM

It doesn't matter where you buy it. He might be allowed to purchase the phone at an Apple Store without a credit check, but he'd still need the deposit to start service.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 9, 2007, 02:33 AM

Oh. Don't they have the goPhone option?
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

michaelb
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2007, 02:33 AM

Two solutions:

1. (free, available now)
Hack it to allow any AT&T SIM and use a pay-as-you-go card. With a small amount of hacking, it's possible to use any AT&T SIM card, including casual pre-paid cards.
http://www.hacktheiphone.net/iphone_..._mac_easy.html

2. ($40-$50, available next week)
Purchase the long awaited "software unlock" from iPhoneSIMfree.com that will allow an iPhone to be used on any GSM carrier, including T-Mobile and any of the 400 GSM carriers around the world. For background, read the articles here:
http://www.engadget.com/tag/iphonesimfree

It's fully legal to unlock your own phone.

zerock
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2007, 02:44 AM

you should just get the iPhone at the Apple Store. Activate it thru iTunes, if you cant cause of bad credit, it automatically goes in a goPhone plan.

btober
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2007, 12:36 PM

So, in regard to the iPhone "unlocking" methods mentioned above, is the first method effectively allowing my to use my iPhone with my existing AT&T service without an additional 2 year contract? Could I then add the $19.99/mo MEdia Max 200 bundle for the unlimited internet service and have the same functionality as the "official" service (will the MEdia packages work with the iPhone?
«l'innovation, c'est une situation qu'on choisit parce qu'on a une passion brûlante pour quelque chose.» - steve jobs

darkfusion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 07:38 PM

What about the data service? ie internet,email,sms,text does all of that come with a goplan?

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 9, 2007, 07:45 PM

GoPhones are pay-by-usage, I think.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

darkfusion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 08:55 PM

I found the image of the gophone that itunes offers you during activation. Looks like I might just do that instead of doing the two year contract. The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2007, 09:24 PM

Just remember that you'll end up paying more for the pay-as-you go plan if you use your phone very much at all, and I don't think you get any SMS messages included with your plan.

darkfusion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 10:46 PM

Just remember that you'll end up paying more for the pay-as-you go plan if you use your phone very much at all, and I don't think you get any SMS messages included with your plan.
Well I plan on getting the $60 plan with 300 minutes per months plus the 1000 nights and weekend minutes. I dont really use my phone much except contacting family so that main reason would be getting the email and data transfer being unlimited. Instead of having to carry around my ipod, cell, and notebook. I can get everything all in one. As for the SMS messages its not something I'm looking to a lot either.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 9, 2007, 10:56 PM

It might be the best choice for you, although $60 would get you 450 anytime minutes and 5000 night/weekend minutes a month with the normal plan.

darkfusion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2007, 11:03 PM

It might be the best choice for you, although $60 would get you 450 anytime minutes and 5000 night/weekend minutes a month with the normal plan.
If I had an extra $500 bucks to put down I really would, but seeing how I dont this is my only option that I can see.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2007, 02:02 AM

Someone has to say it: Maybe you should use the fact that you failed a credit check to see that perhaps you shouldn't be dropping all that money on an iPhone and the future bills that will accompany it?

darkfusion  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Someone has to say it: Maybe you should use the fact that you failed a credit check to see that perhaps you shouldn't be dropping all that money on an iPhone and the future bills that will accompany it?
I didnt fail because of my bad credit, its the fact I dont have any credit. I just started college like last summer so I dont have anything to pay.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Sep 10, 2007, 10:07 PM

Then build up credit history. Get a student credit card (Bank of America tends to happily give out student credit cards). Even if you don't use it, now you have credit!~
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules