Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Looking for a GOOD POP3 email account...

Looking for a GOOD POP3 email account...
pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2002, 10:10 PM

Hey all, I am looking for a good POP3 service, and I am willing to pay for good service, just not $100 for off and on .mac I want a company that offers some decent domain names, not stupid ones like [email protected] etc... Any suggestions? I would go with mail.com but just got into a debate with them about user names (long story, I won't bore you). Anyhow thanks for any suggestions.

Mulattabianca
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2002, 07:18 AM

http://www.libero.it or inwind.it .. they DO work as pops, and you get no stupid spam lines in your mail like in yahoo, hotmale etc.
but as iol.it .. they seem to get to spamlists. well franckly ONLY the iol.it addy i have is overspammed, in libero i get nearly nothin..

i've been looking for an ideal email all my life.
there isn't as faras isee.

this is cool:
http://altern.org/mail
SIMPLE works as pop and no pubblicities, spam etc. very minimal as graphics but they give 10 or 15 Mb. and dont even ask your name.

no there aren't any 100 % good.. libero is in italian, altern in french.. maybe i'd suggest altern.

just because i dont know anything better either.
::1 ::2 ::3 ::

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 10, 2002, 08:53 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 11, 2004 at 10:50 PM. )

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2002, 09:37 AM

Netscape is pretty good, and works in Netscape 7 quite nicely. Address book syncing etc.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 10, 2002, 09:46 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 11, 2004 at 10:51 PM. )

Mithras
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2002, 10:01 AM

I paid $30 for two years of a domain name and POP email service from http://namezero.com

I have a "vanity" domain name (my last name), one POP3 email account that I use for "real" email, and unlimited email forwarding. So I can use [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], and so on, all forwarding to a free email account to collect the junky mail.

Service has been reliable and decent so far. I'm sure there are even better deals out there - there are a bewildering array of companies offering registration and hosting.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2002, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:

Thank you. I'll pass that along to my fellow colleagues here on campus. We worked pretty hard on that stuff.
U work for netscape? What exacty do you do? Mail services? Mozilla?

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 10, 2002, 10:16 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 11, 2004 at 10:51 PM. )

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:

I work for AOL. We all do now. Heh. Heh.

I'm a software engineer at the Mt. View, Netscape campus. I've worked on Community and Communications products (Message Boards, Groups, Community Centers, Webmail, Address Book, etc., etc.). I build stuff that is reusable across all the AOL-TW properties/brands.

Example: the Web Message Boards product can be found at netscape.com, cnn.com, and the lord of the rings website, etc. -- and also within the AOL and CompuServ clients.

And I just finished Alerts & Reminders (which will be featured as part of AOL 8.0 as "Remind Me" - which is being released today).
Guess we work(ed) for the same mothership.

I had a paid internship @ HBO this summer and my father has been an employee for HBO and Time Warner for 20 years...

... also AOLTW.

Any chance on getting you to silently put Gecko in AOL for Win? Would really help webmasters.

So I guess your stock options are also in the toilet.

I know many who would have been retired this year, who are going to put in another couple years as a result.

It's a small world... or a really big company.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 10, 2002, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Mulattabianca:
http://www.libero.it or inwind.it .. they DO work as pops, and you get no stupid spam lines in your mail like in yahoo, hotmale etc.
but as iol.it .. they seem to get to spamlists. well franckly ONLY the iol.it addy i have is overspammed, in libero i get nearly nothin..

i've been looking for an ideal email all my life.
there isn't as faras isee.

this is cool:
http://altern.org/mail
SIMPLE works as pop and no pubblicities, spam etc. very minimal as graphics but they give 10 or 15 Mb. and dont even ask your name.

no there aren't any 100 % good.. libero is in italian, altern in french.. maybe i'd suggest altern.

just because i dont know anything better either.
kinda off topic, but..... uh... OMG, not a single smiley?!? everbody run! the sky must be falling!

do a search for 'pop3 free email' on google, you'll find a bunch.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2002, 01:02 PM

Forgot about these guys:

http://fepg.net/pop3.html

FEPG.net has some good info on email providers. Most Def. worth a look.

Forum Links
Forum Rules