Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Guess what seems to be down again??!!

Guess what seems to be down again??!!
tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2002, 08:57 PM

Oh, I don't know. Could it be, .MAC????

Yep. My email is down, and mac.com doesn't connect.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 09:06 PM

Yet another reason for people who claim that it's worth the cost to reconsider their position.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 09:12 PM

Same here on the outage. My password doesn't work right now, but I think $50 is quite worth it for a year of 100MB web hosting plus email. If they don't add services by the next go 'round, I'm out.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2002, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by tonewheel:
Oh, I don't know. Could it be, .MAC????

Yep. My email is down, and mac.com doesn't connect.
Atrocious... almost wish I could get my money back.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 09:21 PM

same here, I am at my GF's college, went to log in to check my mail, and no go, was just coming here to bitch also. come on apple. get yer sheIt together.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2002, 09:26 PM

from the status page:

Sat, October 12, 2002:

.Mac services will be down until 7:30 PDT due to emergency network maintenance.

Kind Regards,
.Mac Support Team

i'd guess that equipment that they say they are replacing has tanked again. i hope they get the new stuff in place *really* soon....this is getting quite irritating.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Floyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2002, 09:27 PM

This is crazy, not again
Cannot get any of my emails.
Why am i paying for this services $100?

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2002, 10:36 PM

hahahahahahahahhahahahahahha

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2002, 10:43 PM

I think everyone is being a little irrational. If your city utility officials came to your door and said they had to cut off water to your house for a couple hours while they did some sewer work? If there's a problem , then they have to fix it. You are paying for it, but everyone in awhile, you can't expect it to be always working.

If you think a couple hours of down time for some fixes is unacceptable, then ask for your money back and move on. But I bet you'll be disapointed by quite a few other businesses, especially those that offer internet services, not because the company is trying to rip you off, but because supporting a massive internet service 100% of the time is a daunting task for anyone.

If this pattern continues, then a complaint is very valid. But if they got some bad network hardware from a "vendor," then it could take them a week to weed out all the offending products. We'll just have to wait and see.

Matt

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 12:48 AM

Ah well, if only people would read the support page once in awhile they might actually see that it was scheduled to go down tonight.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2002, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by KaptainKaya:
Ah well, if only people would read the support page once in awhile they might actually see that it was scheduled to go down tonight.
ahem...that posting on the support site sez "between 8 and midnight pst...the downtime was at approx 6pm and the link at apple said "emergency network maintenance" and was not announced beforehand.

however...i do still think a lot of people are over-reacting. it will take a bit of time and testing for them to replace the hardware they are having the trouble with, and i suspect the *scheduled* downtime tonight is part of that.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

tonewheel  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2002, 01:33 AM

When our IT dept at work has scheduled maintenance that requires taking the servers offline, they send out an email in advance notifying everyone of the impending downtime. Apple could have, and should have done the same.

JLL
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2002, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by tonewheel:

When our IT dept at work has scheduled maintenance that requires taking the servers offline, they send out an email in advance notifying everyone of the impending downtime. Apple could have, and should have done the same.
Apple sent you an email stating that they will be changing hardware over the next two weeks and then gave you a link to the support page.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules