Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > holy moly...restart caused weird reset of system

holy moly...restart caused weird reset of system
pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 03:46 AM

I just restarted my system and upon reboot, all was the same, except the dock was completely reset, all my original and custom icons were gone, it was the "original" dock. I launched mail and it said "welcome to mail..." and it had deleted ALL of my emails and accounts, and was acting like a first time run??? What happened here, does anybody know? Running 10.2.2 thanks for any info...

boma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 05:37 AM

The same happened to me to this morning. First I thought it happned because I just imported a library folder from another computer and called it "Library (import)". but mow I'm not so sure any longer. The bug (?) repeated it self when I moved the imported folder into my documents folder.
I've never encounterd a bug in an iron-bar.

boma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 09:15 AM

Another idea: Maby your hard disk is full? I think thats my problem.

Jernberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by boma:
Another idea: Maby your hard disk is full? I think thats my problem.
This happened to me yesterday also! When I got home from work, I found the Mac with the kernel panic screen up. So, i reset the machine and rebooted. Once the desktop appeared I saw the "original Dock", and the screen resolution was wrong, and all icons on the desktop was scattered around.

Have no clue what happened! I'm also pretty low on disk space (around 1 GB when this happened) maybe that's the problem?

/Jernberg

Running OS X 10.2.2 on a G4 400 Mhz w/ 768 MB RAM

boma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Jernberg:

Have no clue what happened! I'm also pretty low on disk space (around 1 GB when this happened) maybe that's the problem?

/Jernberg

Running OS X 10.2.2 on a G4 400 Mhz w/ 768 MB RAM
Well, when I say low I mean about 100-10 MB

God jul f�rresten

pobodysnerfect  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 01:26 PM

hmmm this seems weird. I am actually surprised to hear this happening to other people. I was low on disk space as well about 950MB or so, but I wouldn't think this should matter. It's a little unnerving, I think I am going to be doing some serious backin up today! I am tempted to reinstall the OS, because after a situation like that I'm never sure if everything is alright...If you guys learn anything more, let me know!

G4Rules
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 01:49 PM

This happened to me twice.. each time was when I ran out of disk space.. REALLY REALLY irritating... It affected most every program that was open at the time I ran out of space.

It is like it could not write pref files or something, so it deleted them.

pobodysnerfect  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 08:03 PM

OMG wouldn't this be considered a HUGE bug! If so I wonder if Apple knows about this...At least they should give specs as to how much space is needed on the Hard Drive so as not to damage the system!!

Originally posted by G4Rules:
This happened to me twice.. each time was when I ran out of disk space.. REALLY REALLY irritating... It affected most every program that was open at the time I ran out of space.

It is like it could not write pref files or something, so it deleted them.

boma
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by pobodysnerfect:
OMG wouldn't this be considered a HUGE bug! If so I wonder if Apple knows about this...At least they should give specs as to how much space is needed on the Hard Drive so as not to damage the system!!

Apple knows about it. Usually when you run out of disk space the system warns you that it can cause problems for your applications. I guess application amnesia is one of those problems.

Forum Links
Forum Rules