Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > open new window in Safari with one in dock?

open new window in Safari with one in dock?
pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 12:25 AM

so I have a safari window minimized in the dock, and I want to open a new window while keeping my one window minimized, so I click on the Safari icon and it maximizes the dock window. I want to click on the icon and have a new window appear while keeping my other window minimized. How can I do this? Omniweb and IE both allow this but I have not found a way in Safari. Help please...

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 28, 2003, 01:49 AM

It's the way the programmers wanted it. The only way to change it is to send feedback and hope they listen.

Ironfist.cmg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 01:51 AM

Command-N

Like in every other application ever.

feh, my image in my sig went away.

pobodysnerfect  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2003, 02:26 AM

Originally posted by Ironfist.cmg:
Command-N

Like in every other application ever.

ok maybe you didn't actually read my post. I know Command-N will open another window. However, if you already have a Safari window minimized, that you want to keep minimized there is no way to click on the Safari icon and have a new window open while keeping the existing window minimized! It just maximizes the docked window!

glowingcactus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2003, 10:36 AM

Originally posted by pobodysnerfect:
ok maybe you didn't actually read my post. I know Command-N will open another window. However, if you already have a Safari window minimized, that you want to keep minimized there is no way to click on the Safari icon and have a new window open while keeping the existing window minimized! It just maximizes the docked window!
I think you mean when safari is not the front most application so when you click on the Safari icon it maximises the docked page. What should be offered with a right click or long click is a pop-up menu with 'new window' but sadly this is not there.

In the mean time try this which I admit does not use the mouse but.... starting with safari not being the front most application....

Apple-Tab (as many times as needed to get Safari magnified in the dock or shift-Apple-tab to go backwards if you have loads of apps running...

Safari springs to front without magnifying docked page...

now do apple-n for a new window.

To sum up. Apple tab... apple N.
( Last edited by glowingcactus; Jan 28, 2003 at 11:58 AM. )
_ _ _____________ _ _
GC

Forum Links
Forum Rules