Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Konfabulator!

Konfabulator! (Page 2)
ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by RevEvs:
Hmmm just noticed, my calender widget has the day incorrect - it is showing Tuesday the 11th at the moment.... anyone else getting this??

revs
Holy crap, you are right.

kill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2003, 03:50 PM

hnm...my calendar seems fine.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by kill:
hnm...my calendar seems fine.
same here...

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 04:40 PM

Anybody willing to "skin' the iTunes control? I'm not too crazy about brushed and green led screens. A widget that lists all your apps for quick launch/access would be nice...too bad I don't know how to code

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 04:41 PM

I've tried downloading NetPulse and ChainShot, but both show up as Excel files and won't unstuff or anything. ClipMe downloaded and worked fine (though it did show up as a Word file, but it still unstuffed), but these two won't unstuff. Anybody else have this problem?

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 04:56 PM

eh. Konfabulator is ok.
i think someone should make a news reader widget..

like something that had Slashdot headlines on it then if you liked the article it would open in the same window by adjusting the window size and putting the article in a box. that would be slick.

an FTP widget
how bout a Limewire widget =/
=)

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by moofman:
I've tried downloading NetPulse and ChainShot, but both show up as Excel files and won't unstuff or anything. ClipMe downloaded and worked fine (though it did show up as a Word file, but it still unstuffed), but these two won't unstuff. Anybody else have this problem?
I d/led NetPulse just fine. I still prefer NetMonitor in my menu bar though.

You know, I have two monitors both running at 1600x1200 and I still feel like these widgets take up a lot of screen realestate. I can only image that at 1024x768 it would be drastically worse.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 06:02 PM

Every one seems to be missing the point that if you need a widget to be smaller, MAKE it smaller. They're that flexible... My battery widget is 30% smaller than the default and fits perfectly on a 12" iBook screen.

Mac Guru

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
eh. Konfabulator is ok.
i think someone should make a news reader widget..

like something that had Slashdot headlines on it then if you liked the article it would open in the same window by adjusting the window size and putting the article in a box. that would be slick.

an FTP widget
how bout a Limewire widget =/
=)
I will try to make a few.

neoTony
Feb 10, 2003, 06:20 PM

A note about the slashdot/RSS feed reader - RSS parsing is coming in a future version of K - you could probably manually parse the feed, but it would be a lot of effort.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2003, 07:04 PM

For as long as it took to release, I think there should be a hell of a lot more widgets that either come with it or are available for download... There was so much hype over Konfabulator, and then, in the end, only like 16 widgets.... Only a few of them will be used by many people anyways. 'Tis a shame.

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 07:34 PM

I don't understand where are all the widgets that come with it? Everybody is talking about the battery, weather and calendar but I can't find those?! I start Konfabulator and go to "open widget" but where are they??

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2003, 07:43 PM

Is there any sample code?

Or...

Do the modules come as source themselves?

I'm DLing it now..I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: DAMN the site is slow!!

Mike
( Last edited by starman; Feb 10, 2003 at 07:50 PM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 07:53 PM

Originally posted by pobodysnerfect:
I don't understand where are all the widgets that come with it? Everybody is talking about the battery, weather and calendar but I can't find those?! I start Konfabulator and go to "open widget" but where are they??
they're exactly where the program told you it installed them under your username documents folder in the folder called Widgets.

but you'll probably skip right over this post too.

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2003, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
they're exactly where the program told you it installed them under your username documents folder in the folder called Widgets.

but you'll probably skip right over this post too.
the program never told me it installed them anywhere, as a matter of fact NOTHING happened when I double clicked on the Konfab app except it put an icon in the menubar. So I went to the Konfabulator site and it turns out this is a bug that is affecting more people then just me. So unlike you I am writing here to help anybody that this has happened to: go to the Konfabulator app and open up the contents, find the welcome.widget and double click it and THEN it will run the welcome screens and install the widgets in the right folder.

Hi I'm Ben, next time I will skip right over your useless post, thanks for the help

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
Anybody willing to "skin' the iTunes control? I'm not too crazy about brushed and green led screens. A widget that lists all your apps for quick launch/access would be nice...too bad I don't know how to code
Guess I have to answer my own question

Here's what I have so far:

iTR (iTunes Remote)

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

blikum
Feb 10, 2003, 08:35 PM

iTR (iTunes Remote)

Looks nice Dace!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2003, 08:44 PM

I read that the site is hosted on a 56k modem... that could explain a few things.

That looks like a great iTunes remote, Dace. I would use the remote, but I can't stand how it forces iTunes to stay open and it how it takes a whole lot of cpu cycles.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 10:54 PM

Have to say, I don't even understand what this is, and I've had it running all day.

Why is it easier for someone to make me a clock with this app, than just to make me a freestanding clock? Or weather monitor, or iTunes controller etc etc.? What is the underlying K app doing for the 'widgets' that any little app couldn't do by itself? I think it has very cool widgets so far though. I just have a feeling that future widgets will just be remakes of other stuff that's been floating around VersionTracker as indepentent apps for the last two years. And why should people write apps for this program so this guy can rake in the money?... does he share it with the other widget developers... or maybe each widget is going to cost even more money? I have more questions if anyone wants to hear them! :-]

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2003, 11:47 PM

I'd only use it for the iTunes controler lol and for $25 it's not worth it for me.
click one

fireside
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 02:30 AM

i have to agree with some people. there should be a lot more widgets than the ones that came with it.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2003, 04:01 AM

make widgets then and stop bitching. i seriously think this should be free though. since there will be a lot of people making widgets and Arlo will just be making money off of Konfa but no one else will be getting anything from their widgets that they make. ok yea. someone tell me a good site to look at that deals with making widgets. there are none. i know xml and javascript but i have no clue how to put them together to make a silly widget.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2003, 04:30 AM

I am going to make a widget that mimicks, as nearly as it can, the tracker from BeOS. I want this widget to fit right nice with good ol' Swiz's BeOS theme. (Yeah! I'm the guy who made the crappy icons for the theme )
If I can figure out how to create these "widgets" I will make it as close to the Tracker as I can, good looks too .

<b>Off topic a little more:</b> Swiz, if I were you, I would junk my icons and see if some of those dudes that are doing a great job with BeIcon sets would let you use some of there stuff. The theme is great, I just feel that my icons are hurting it

Ryan

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 05:49 AM

Would you people ever stop bitching! "What is the point?", "Just program standalones", "OMG $25", Konfabulator is a framework that allows for extremely easy creation of widgets using xml and javascript. To write any of the widgets as standalones in ObJC or cocoa would take far longer than kocking up the widget for Konfabulator. If you don't like the app then don't use it. I think its great and I can't wait for some of the widgets that people plan on making are released.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2003, 07:19 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
HAnd why should people write apps for this program so this guy can rake in the money?... does he share it with the other widget developers... or maybe each widget is going to cost even more money? I have more questions if anyone wants to hear them! :-]
Well:

Why should anyone write apps for Mac OS X so Steve Jobs can rake in the money?

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2003, 08:21 AM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Well:Why should anyone write apps for Mac OS X so Steve Jobs can rake in the money?
Good point!

And to the poster above you, I wasn't 'bitching' or refusing to use the program. You are getting so defensive that you think any question or discussion about a new program is bitching! I really wanted to know how this makes it easier to write someone a little clock or cpu monitor etc than just doing it as a standalone. I'm not any kind of programmer and I really was asking. Geez, take a pill and stop chewing people out for posting their questions... I am a LOT more sick of that than the 'bitching'. And if people are going to charge big shareware prices for little apps (so far it's a clock and a weather monitor) then people will always mention it, no matter how many times you tell them to stop. Ding dong.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 08:59 AM

Good point!

And to the poster above you, I wasn't 'bitching' or refusing to use the program. You are getting so defensive that you think any question or discussion about a new program is bitching! I really wanted to know how this makes it easier to write someone a little clock or cpu monitor etc than just doing it as a standalone. I'm not any kind of programmer and I really was asking. Geez, take a pill and stop chewing people out for posting their questions... I am a LOT more sick of that than the 'bitching'. And if people are going to charge big shareware prices for little apps (so far it's a clock and a weather monitor) then people will always mention it, no matter how many times you tell them to stop. Ding dong.
I was just a little annoyed at your almost complete dismisall of what could potentially be the best app OSX has ever seen. Fair enough, so far it has limited use butt if people keep saying "its just a clock and cpu monitor" then thats all it will ever be. It has bags of potential, to coin the Konfabulator tagline, "It'll be whatever you want it to be".
Apologies but I've seen about 4 or five different people on different forums saying the same you did.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 11, 2003, 09:25 AM

If this gets to be anything like Desktop X, we're in for a world of fun. Animated desktop icons, little applets that can do anything your heart desires, sounds, you name it.

Mike

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by starman:
If this gets to be anything like Desktop X, we're in for a world of fun. Animated desktop icons, little applets that can do anything your heart desires, sounds, you name it.

Mike
WEll, i dont know about animated icons, but little applets definitally can be seen as coming to town, book marking apps, printing queue watchers, there is already a mail watcher, but that is not very different from just looking at the dock....

There is a lot that can happen, and I see many more widgets emerging in the coming weeks....

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2003, 03:36 PM

Bombia
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Here is my iTunes remote:

http://www.olivercameron.co.uk/personal/Bah.png
Very nice!

Gatorzx2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 04:28 PM

How exactly do you resize a widget?

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2003, 04:36 PM

Where can I go to actually learn how to make widgets? You know you want Nintendo widgets -- you're not foolin' anyone.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 05:29 PM

No resizing

there is a link at the konfabulator site, "Workshop", which points to how to make it

Also, you can edit an already existing widget to your hearts desire!

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2003, 06:05 PM

6 new widgets available at the Konfab gallery ! (versiontracker widget !!)

http://konfabulator.deskmod.com/

Kujo
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2003, 09:31 PM

iTR (iTunes Remote)
i'd love to see remote widgets skinned to match some of the great themes we use.

drg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 12:16 AM

I've downloaded Konfabulator and ran some of the widgits. What I want to do next is to look at the code for some of them and play around with the simple examples in Konfabulator reference. I cannot open the Widgits with bbedit and I cannot see anything on how you get Konfabulator to read a script. I can't see using something like CodeWarrior and be able to mix XML and Java. Or is this something that becomes transparent after you pay the $25?

drg

Brooks Seymore
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by drg:
I've downloaded Konfabulator and ran some of the widgits. What I want to do next is to look at the code for some of them and play around with the simple examples in Konfabulator reference. I cannot open the Widgits with bbedit and I cannot see anything on how you get Konfabulator to read a script. I can't see using something like CodeWarrior and be able to mix XML and Java. Or is this something that becomes transparent after you pay the $25?

drg
Control-click on a widget and select Show Package Contents. A new Finder window should appear where you can navigate through the bundle directory until your come to a .kon file. Drag that file onto BBEdit and start hacking away.

Check out http://www.resexcellence.com/ for a quick Photo Frame hack they put up on the 11th.

B.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2003, 05:43 AM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
Here is my iTunes remote:

http://www.olivercameron.co.uk/personal/Bah.png
ooh, care to share?

SomeToast
Senior User
Feb 12, 2003, 06:04 AM

I couldn't use the iTunes widgets because I have to run Audion to feed the streaming server. Making a monitor to show more info than Audion is capable of on its own though was quick, easy and fun.

(The first line of text is clipped because it's set to scroll automatically when it's wider than the window).

Big Konfab fan so far!

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 12, 2003, 08:44 AM

Esquivel!!!

I'm working on a widget now. So easy, but it's been a while since I've used XML/Javascript.

Mike

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:
6 new widgets available at the Konfab gallery ! (versiontracker widget !!)

http://konfabulator.deskmod.com/

People are adding Widgets like crazy...mayby Arlo Rose & Co should consider making Catogory Listing of all widgets!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2003, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
I couldn't use the iTunes widgets because I have to run Audion to feed the streaming server. Making a monitor to show more info than Audion is capable of on its own though was quick, easy and fun.

(The first line of text is clipped because it's set to scroll automatically when it's wider than the window).

Big Konfab fan so far!

That's great. I'd like all my widgets to match the digital clock.... such a cool look! I hope someone makes one like yours to control iTunes soon. And a weather one that matches.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2003, 03:30 AM

I created a very stripped-down eBay Watcher widget.

It's very late and I know it only looks at one auction at a time, but I'm too tired to work on it any more tonight.

http://homepage.mac.com/starman/.Pub...cher%200.5.dmg

Mike

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 02:13 PM

That's great. I'd like all my widgets to match the digital clock.... such a cool look! I hope someone makes one like yours to control iTunes soon. And a weather one that matches.
Funny you say that this was the first thing i did. I'm not going to release this because it's a direct ripoff of Arlo's widget but I'll provide it here:

Click to download.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2003, 02:24 PM

foobars, you listen to Bright Eyes? A friend of mine, that's his brother's band. His own band, Sorry About Dresden, isn't bad either.
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by foobars:
Funny you say that this was the first thing i did. I'm not going to release this because it's a direct ripoff of Arlo's widget but I'll provide it here:

*snip*

Click to download.
YES YES YES !!

foobars
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by rgoer:
foobars, you listen to Bright Eyes? A friend of mine, that's his brother's band. His own band, Sorry About Dresden, isn't bad either.
Yeah I love Bright Eyes, weird coincidence. I'll check out Sorry About Dresden.

mrbiiggy2
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 08:57 PM

Code:
try do shell script "ps -xo pid,command | grep onfa | grep ps | grep -v grep | awk '{print $1}'" set kill_me to result as text do shell script "kill " & kill_me end try
This kills the original Konfabulator process, which doesn't need to be run... Just launch all your widgets, then run this script. The annoying window and the menu bar thingy will die, good luck.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 12:39 AM

Only issue with that script is that the konfabulator app DOES need to run if you intend to ever test another widget. If this is the case, you have to close all your widgets, Launch Konfabulator and then run the script again. Kind of a pain in the butt if you ask me.

Mac Guru

Forum Links
Forum Rules