Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > damn I love my iBook!

damn I love my iBook!
newcomer
Nov 28, 2003, 03:01 PM

Been enjoying it for nearly a year now. I got the D-Link Bluetooth adapter a couple of months back and remember how easy it was to set up/pair devices and get started with iSync.

My friend has been trying to pair phone and PC via Windows XP and has had to install all kinds of drivers and still no joy.

If Apple can really get stuff to plug and play - why do PC manufacturers fail to manage it? You know if Apple made toasters I'd by one. Got to get my hands on an iPod though.

ryeguy
Banned
Nov 30, 2003, 07:04 AM

I love mine too. I think I need help - I am addicted to my ibook, panther, and Macintosh discussion forums. I have gone from being an alcoholic to being an ibook junky. If I could fxxk my ibook, I would.

skalie
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 07:17 AM

I just plugging in a cheapo camera, well tacky, 2 megapixel no-frills.

It only came with windoze drivers,no mention of Mac anywhere on the box or anything. The iBook recognised it straight away when I plugged in the USB cable.

Got to love the little bonuses like that.

imactheknife
Nov 30, 2003, 12:02 PM

I love ours too! I have gone through many ibooks in the last 6 months (just bought and sold) till I settled on a ibook 800 12.1 combo and although alittle scratched up it is a little dream machine! and with airport it is now my house companion...my wife gets irritated when I sit in the living room and surf...oh well, I just bought an ipod for her for christmas! cheers, Mark

discotronic
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by imactheknife:
I love ours too! I have gone through many ibooks in the last 6 months (just bought and sold) till I settled on a ibook 800 12.1 combo and although alittle scratched up it is a little dream machine! and with airport it is now my house companion...my wife gets irritated when I sit in the living room and surf...oh well, I just bought an ipod for her for christmas! cheers, Mark
I bought a new iMac not long ago. I had planned on selling my iBook then I bought an Airport card for it. By spending that $75 my iBook got a new lease on life. I would have been lost without it.

freda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 30, 2003, 05:43 PM

I love mine too. I used to have to borrow my brother's G4 for ages which he hated me doing. Then I bought myself the original iBook in orange from the money I had made during the summer, waitressing.

When I started university my parents gave me a 900 iBook.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 11:28 PM

I love my iBook too. Best computer I have ever owned. Great mix of portability and power. *hugs iBook*

historylme
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2003, 08:27 PM

I have everything and I mean everything on my baby.... it the one thing and only one thing that I have fear of loosing.

Oh, mon amor, ma cheri Ibook!!

ooh, that sound too cheesy, but it's true.

xmishx
Dec 2, 2003, 09:53 PM

I am looking forward to receiving mine tomorrow from Apple. I got the 700 MHz refurbed unit for under $700. I'll be pulling ram out of my Lombard which served me well for the past 3 years. I am also getting an Airport card. I will have a rocking new computer with wifi for under $750!
Schwing!

X

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by newcomer:
My friend has been trying to pair phone and PC via Windows XP and has had to install all kinds of drivers and still no joy.

If Apple can really get stuff to plug and play - why do PC manufacturers fail to manage it? You know if Apple made toasters I'd by one. Got to get my hands on an iPod though.
It's because Apple is very specific about what hardware works and what does not. There are allot fewer hardware options to choose from for Apple hardware where as pc has tons of third party manufactures just look at video cards you have to buy your video card stock with your Mac and the only other options you have is buy from Ati because Nvidia doesn't make their own video cards they sell 3rd party vendors the GPU and let them make the card. You can shoot your self in the foot big time if you don't check to make sure hardware you buy is compatible with mac for example my HP Laserjet 1000 works great with windows but there are no drivers for Mac.

SFZoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 01:17 AM

This new iBook 933 mhz, 14 inch, 60 gig hd, and stock 256MB for now, is just sweet. I've been dinking around with computers forever and I still chuckle when I read the "iBook slow" and "14 inch screen not so clear" comments. I wonder what the those commenters are thinking and just what their real experience might be. They say Mac users drink the Cupertino koolaid, but folks saying such things are truly the ones trying to spin something.

Perspective: I've built multiple PCs and and administer a small network based around a Winnt and a Win2k server at work. I've run Win 3.11 through WinXP and 486 through 2 gig+ x86, and my lowly 933 mhz iBook is plenty fast for my computing needs.

I'd recommend iBooks for anyone looking to get away from Windows, wanting a solid computing experience, and wanting a machine that gives them lots of options, growth potential, and fun. OS X is certainly that.

First post, recent lurker.

erniesthings
Forum Regular
Dec 3, 2003, 04:29 PM

I've had our 14" 1gz for a week now and I can't get enough of it. Finally getting to run OS X. I havn't had to many issues that havn't worked themselvs out. The screen is great, airport is awsome, Just to many great things to say about it.

Has anyone had any issues with upgrading to 10.3.2. I've been holding off b/c of the audio cd issues.

Peace

Ernie

newcomer  (op)
Dec 3, 2003, 07:33 PM

my iBook has introduced me to a whole new world of computing. I've done stuff with it that I never did on my old hulk of an ugly PC (which was just a typewriter basically!)

I learned html and played around with simple text and now maintain a website of my photos. i rip and burn. i watch qt movie trailers.

i layout pages and do dtp stuff on appleworks that i would have needed publisher for on windows.

bluetooth and iSync kick butt - I love my Sony Ericsson T610, but I really feel that Apple should make their own mobile phone/PDA too. Get Jonothan Ive to the drawing board with that one. It would surely be the coolest phone/PDA to have.

yesterday i sneekily changed the screen saver on my flat mate's Dell PC. Scrolling Marquee now reads "I wish I was an Apple Mac" in huge letters. Can't wait til she sees it.

Rock on dudes

nickgold2012
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2003, 10:04 PM

Ooooh, I wanna get in on the iBook lovin'!

I've had my 12" iBook G4 for almost 2 weeks now. HOLY CRIPES this thing rocks! The best computer I've owned in the past 15 years. I luuurrrrve it.
My opinions are my own, and not those of anybody else, including my employer.

CaNdeSiGn
Dec 4, 2003, 11:27 PM

Well... I am one of the patient ones who had waited for the G4 upgrade... I was using an iBook 466 SE, Graphite (my first apple computer BTW) which I loved... what amazing machines those clamshells were (still are). My iBook G4 is just as amazing... and I'm loving every minute working on it. It's so amazing, I just had to sign up on MacNN.com and share it with everyone.

This is my first post. (Hi ppl) MacNN and the people who post have been so helpful over the past 3 years. Time to share my experiences and knowledge with others.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by CaNdeSiGn:
Well... I am one of the patient ones who had waited for the G4 upgrade... I was using an iBook 466 SE, Graphite (my first apple computer BTW) which I loved... what amazing machines those clamshells were (still are). My iBook G4 is just as amazing... and I'm loving every minute working on it. It's so amazing, I just had to sign up on MacNN.com and share it with everyone.

This is my first post. (Hi ppl) MacNN and the people who post have been so helpful over the past 3 years. Time to share my experiences and knowledge with others.

I still have (and using it right now) my iBook Graphite 466SE. Panther has really extended the life of my iBook. I'll probably get a new iBook in the next revision or two.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

divermac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2003, 01:39 PM

Yeh, just got my G4 933 last week - 'I'm lovin' it' as the other mac people say Still stuck with a PC at home, but as soon as it dies I'm going for another mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules