Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Teen killed during attempted iPad theft; two men arrested

Teen killed during attempted iPad theft; two men arrested
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
May 20, 2013, 08:57 AM

Two men have been arrested and charged with open murder, robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery in the death of 15-year-old Marcos Arenas in Las Vegas last week. Jacob Dismont, 18, and Michael Solid, 21, were charged Saturday over the incident. According to police, the two attempted to steal an iPad away from the youth but he refused to let go of it, resulting in his being dragged and run over by the two men.

Arenas, the oldest of 10 children and a student at Bonanza High School, had only had the iPad for less than two months before the incident. His father Ivan was quoted by the Las Vegas Review-Journal as saying "never in my life would I imagine that me buying my kid an iPad for his birthday would end up with him getting run over," adding that the family "never had a lot" and that his son valued everything he had.

"For him to lose his life over an iPad, it's just not fair."

The family released a statement on the arrest of the two suspects, saying that they are "We are very, very relieved and grateful that these men have been apprehended and can't hurt anyone else. We're traumatized. Marcos' loss is something that will be with us forever. He was such an incredible person." The attack occurred about a half-mile from Arenas' school in the late afternoon.

The attack is just the latest high-profile incident in a wave of iOS device thefts that have seen thieves targeting people carrying the popular devices, and has come to be known as "Apple picking." In the wake of Arenas' death, police have been advising people to just let go of the devices during robbery attempts.

The two men did eventually make off with Arenas' iPad, but it has not yet been recovered. Solid is said to have a long arrest record involving crimes such as petty larceny, robbery, assault and stealing cars. Dismont is reported not to have any adult arrest record, and is a high school basketball player.

lkrupp
Forum Regular
May 20, 2013, 09:16 AM

I'm absolutely sure there are lawyers out there plotting to file a class action lawsuit against Apple for building a "defective" product that is too popular and therefore a danger to the public.

andi*pandi
May 20, 2013, 10:25 AM

What a waste, a sad story. I hope those thieves rot in jail.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2013, 10:36 AM

Stop report this nonsense.

Gunner1954
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2013, 10:57 AM

It is very saddening to know that Marcos Arenas was killed while holding fast to a cherished possession that he saw as a stepping stone to a bright future. However, if it takes a death like this to get the police to consider 'apple picking' a serious crime, then I hail Marcos as the first martyr against these types of criminals. "...police have been advising people to just let go of the devices during robbery attempts..." To heck with that! Why don't the police investigate these thefts as real crimes and get these criminals off the streets, NOW, before they kill anyone else.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
May 20, 2013, 11:44 AM

jdsonice: what particular "nonsense" are you referring to? Don't you think that the issue of a young man getting killed over an iPad merits reporting?
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

reader50
Administrator
May 20, 2013, 12:07 PM

What is "open murder"? I know about murder-one, -two, and -three. The "open" variety is a new one.

Marcos had every right to hang onto his property. Nevada has the death penalty, so Marcos made them choose between leaving his property alone, or gambling with their own lives. They chose to gamble, and lost.

trenchcoat77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2013, 01:16 PM

"Open murder" means that the prosecutor has not yet determined the degree (first, second, etc.) of homicide that is to be charged. It is still "open."

Flying Meat
Senior User
May 20, 2013, 04:54 PM

Reality is harsh. The deal is, if you are getting robbed, give the robber what they want. No "thing" is worth your life. That thing might be worth a lot, but it is not worth your life.

"Marcos made them choose..." Except he's dead now, and that line of reasoning doesn't help him at all. Robbers don't care at all whether folks have the right to hang onto their property.

SunSeeker
Mac Enthusiast
May 23, 2013, 12:51 PM

It's easier to let it go if you have set up 'Find my iPhone' (iPad) and turned on the passcode lock.

Forum Links
Forum Rules