Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Showtime Anytime arrives on Apple TV

Showtime Anytime arrives on Apple TV
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Aug 26, 2014, 11:31 AM

In addition to an updated iTunes Festival app, the Apple TV has also been refreshed with Showtime Anytime, an app for the Showtime TV network. While some episodes are available on-demand for free, full use of the app -- including live streaming -- requires authenticating a subscription with compatible providers. That list includes AT&T U-Verse, Bright House, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, DirecTV, Optimum, Time Warner, Verizon FiOS, and a number of regional firms.

Some hosted shows include Californication, Dexter, Homeland, and The Tudors. During the past year, Apple has been greatly increasing the number of apps on the Apple TV, likely in response to competition from devices like the Roku and the Chromecast, and its own long-term plans.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Aug 27, 2014 at 03:56 AM. )

pairof9s
Senior User
Aug 26, 2014, 11:57 AM

With each of these add-ons, it becomes more perplexing as to why I would use an Apple TV to watch. If my TV can connect, as expected, to a home cable service w/ these programs (which is required for Apple TV access), what reason would I need for an Apple TV?

If it's to have a central location for your iTunes media in addition to these channels, that's negated by the loss of the additional channels on cable that are not on Apple TV (TBS, CNN, Fox Sports, AMC, etc)...you still have to switch back to see those.

With HBO and ESPN, for example, there are iPad/iPhone apps to allow viewing of their content so long as you have the respective home cable service...this makes sense since these are portable devices.

bjojade
Aug 26, 2014, 12:03 PM

The only reason I can see using the AppleTV for these services is if you have more than one location you want to use it. Say at a cabin so you don't have to buy cable at 2 places. Or, if you want to 'share' it with a friend.

Until the content is available on the AppleTV without being tied to another subscription, the AppleTV is mostly meaningless to most people.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2014, 12:36 PM

Agree. Many of them are redundant on Apple TV comparing to already-have Cable TV. The only one thing I like on Apple TV is I can watch certain episodes back to back when I miss DVR them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules