Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > USB 2.0, Where is it?

USB 2.0, Where is it?
Tjeerd van Hoytema
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2001, 06:33 AM

USB 2.0 is out, but none the less Apple didn't change the motherboard to add it. Probably b/c they don't want to let it compete with FireWire. So it's either a PCI card or plain USB.
Tjeerd van Hoytema
The Netherlands

Proud Mac user since 1993

Cipher13
Jul 19, 2001, 06:45 AM

Eh, so?

USB 2 is based on the same flawed design as USB; and USB is the worst thing thats ever been put on Macs.

My God how I loathe USB...

I hope it never sees the light of day.

FireWire will kick its sorry ass.

neutrino23
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2001, 08:02 AM

USB 2.0? I thought that was vaporware. Has anyone actually released a real product for it? Not just a demo or a beta but a real product? Actually the opposite has happened. There was a story last week about a chip maker that was discontinuing their work on USB 2.0 and switching over to Firewire. There is a good chance that USB 2.0 will just fade away.
Happy owner of a new 15" Al PB.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2001, 08:25 PM

USB 2.0 = DOA! In the last month, I have seen stories on a peripheral company and a PC company giving up on it for FireWire. Windows XP will ship with FireWire support but no USB 2.0 support because Intel STILL hasn't finalized the spec. USB 2.0 peripherals are not expected until 2002 now. By the time they ship, the new, faster FireWire should be out and I can't see USB making much of an impact on the market. It would have killed FireWire off if it had come out last year, but that's an opportunity forever lost. Apple's on the right side of the standards wars for a change!
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2001, 04:35 AM

looks like USB2.0 won't really survive without MS support and hardware vendors pushing for its demise...on the other hand, I think there's a PCI card for the Mac that has USB2.0 support if you are interested...I'll just wait for IEEE1394.b
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 20, 2001, 04:45 AM

Putting USB into Macs was a brilliant decision. ADB sucked. Badly.

USB 2 would be pointless and it's not gonna happen unless there is a dramatic shift in the industry.

Which is something that will not happen. Trust me.

Anyway, the only reason USB 2 exists in the first place is because Apple was so greedy when Firewire first came out. They wanted $1.00 per port on every Firewire device. Needless to say, the industry balked and Intel whipped out USB 2. Apple got the hint, Lowered prices to .25 per machine and just about everyone lost interest in USB 2.

It's creation was a good thing. It scared Apple into submission when they needed a reality check.

It's not going anywhere.

Forget about it.

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2001, 04:52 AM

Isn't USB 2.0 some proprietary Intel crap? I heard something about how you can link digital stuff with firewire, but no matter what or how fast, USB 2.0 always requires a computer with a processor to work. That's why they were pushing it so hard as the firewire killer. I love firewire, and USB, though it has issues, is fine with me. Die 2.0 die.

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

Cipher13
Jul 20, 2001, 06:10 AM

Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
<STRONG>Putting USB into Macs was a brilliant decision. ADB sucked. Badly.</STRONG>
USB is awful. Absolute garbage.

Its slow (fine for keyboards etc), requires CPU cycles (however few), but mostly, its software driven in a way that ADB wasn't!

My comp rarely crashes - but when it does, I can use the HARDWARE LINKED interrupt switch on the front to drop into Macsbug. The cursor still flashes. The machine isn't frozen, USB just sh!tted out on me, because of its high-level drivers and such.

Argh, it is absolutely pathetic. And how manufacturers used it for burners and stuff... criminal.

Putting the iMacs with only USB was cruel.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2001, 08:54 PM

USB 2 will not come to Macs, and won't ship in most PC's. Even MS said it was cr@p.

Read:
http://macvillage.net/news/viewnews....7007307,36742,

Even MS is going to support FireWire over USB.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2001, 04:11 AM

Only one complaint against IEEE1394...the 4/6/9 pin thing can be confusing...I know making everything 9 pin will be expensive when it comes to cables, but it'll be universal and gets rid of all confusion in consumers...oh well, maybe it'll happen someday...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2001, 08:33 AM

MS supporting it, and pushing it is a very good thing. That means that there will be tons of firewire devices. Better speed, very reliable, nice.

georgius
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2001, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

USB is awful. Absolute garbage.

Its slow (fine for keyboards etc), requires CPU cycles (however few), but mostly, its software driven in a way that ADB wasn't!

Argh, it is absolutely pathetic. And how manufacturers used it for burners and stuff... criminal.

Putting the iMacs with only USB was cruel.</STRONG>
I have got to agree. It takes me a full 50 minutes to burn a CD-R or CD-RW with USB...and that just isn't on. Imagine trying to back up a full 5GB of data...I was up until 3 in the morning (I started at 9pm) doing that...USB just sucks at such data intensive tasks.

Play it cool

widget.alnora.com

for macintosh gui

Forum Links
Forum Rules