Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How to make a business card in Word

How to make a business card in Word
PowerBookDude
Apr 27, 2002, 03:59 PM

I was wondering what is the best way to go about making a business card in Word v.X?

Thanks!

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 04:12 PM

Easy, DON'T

Unless you want someone to look at it and say "Oh! you made this in Word!" I'd suggest using something like InDesign or Quark... FAR more customizable and WAY more design capabilities.

Mac Guru

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2002, 07:09 PM

Actually, It would be better to do it in Illustrator (at least if you want a better business card, output, resolution, file format, detail, gradients, professional look and feel, etc) and take that into Quark or Word as an .eps or .tiff file.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2002, 09:31 PM

Typesetting in Illustrator is a big no-no.

What I'd suggest is if you're talking about is doing the graphics for the card in Illustrator then using Quark or InDesign to typeset on top of the .eps file, THEN I'd say go for it. But as a general rule you should never set type in anything but a typesetting program.

Mac Guru

PowerBookDude  (op)
Apr 27, 2002, 10:23 PM

I'd love to do in either Illustrator or InDesign or Quark. But only if someone buys it for me since I don't have it and I don't really want to buy one of them just for this one thing.

I do have PhotoShop (my 7 upgrade finally came!!!).

I mean this doesn't have to be the BEST business card in the world either. Just decent.

ls -al
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2002, 08:16 PM

Whatever you choose don't forget to add marks to aid in cutting the sheets! Trim marks will make everyone's life that much easier!

PowerBookDude  (op)
Apr 28, 2002, 10:07 PM

What is the normal size for a business card?

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2002, 11:10 PM

Double the size of a real one, 4"x7" and I've never had a problem with type before with PS or illustrator. But doing the graphics in PS and the text in Quark will be fine.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

PowerBookDude  (op)
Apr 29, 2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>Double the size of a real one, 4"x7" </STRONG>
I don't understand, 4"x7" looks to big.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 12:36 PM

As long as you do it at a high enough resolution (&gt;200dpi) doing it in photoshop 7 will be fine. 100% better than MS Word anyway.
As for size just do it the same size as a credit card (55mm 85mm), IMHO business card's bigger than this won't fit in everyones wallet so are lickly to get tossed.

If you do somthing fancy in Photoshop remember to account for 'blead', any graphics that run off the edge of the card should continue for about 2mm larger than the card. Also if you do somthing simple (one colour) in Photoshop, Do it in grayscale that will makesure there are no RGB or CMYK parts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules