Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Any "Jaguar" installation nightmares?

Any "Jaguar" installation nightmares?
Betox
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2002, 09:49 PM

I've been hearing a lot of people complainig about problems with Mac OS X 10.2 instalation (mostly upgrades from 10.1.5).

I'm not plannig to clean install, I dont have time for that...
--
QuickSilver 800 Mhz / iBook 500 Mhz / Original 5GB iPod / iPod Shuffle 512 / Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger >> And it IS snappy!

jules
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 21, 2002, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by Betox:
I've been hearing a lot of people complainig about problems with Mac OS X 10.2 instalation (mostly upgrades from 10.1.5).

I'm not plannig to clean install, I dont have time for that...

Yes...I tried upgrading from 10.1.5 and it was a complete bloody mess....had to wipe the drive and do a clean install.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2002, 11:35 PM

i have the very same problem, although mine was complicated. I have a b/w g3 upgraded to a newertech G4 processor and a sonnet tempo pci card with another hard drive attached. Once I got jaguar booted, it worked fine, however, if i shut down or restart my computer, it won't boot. I had to make a clean installation to finally make it work.

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Aug 21, 2002, 11:36 PM

MacWorld did a review of Jag, and commented on the install process. They said that while upgrading worked in most cases, it did create quite a few problems in others. They recommended doing an "Archive and Install" at the least.

Personally, I'm going to do the "Format and Install".
( Last edited by NeXTLoop; Aug 22, 2002 at 10:30 AM. )

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2002, 12:03 AM

me too. I've built up a lot of junky shareware, freeware, and hacks that I no longer use, so I want a clean start.

Since I have a flat-panel iMac that will act as an external firewire drive, the backup, format, install, and repatriation of programs and files should be trivial.

tipaintchip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 12:21 AM

had X.1.5 on my Powerbook 550. Intially tried ugrading current os x, the spinning ball just froze. After forced restart tried the archive and install option. This worked very well. On restart I found that the help menu in the finder crashes every time and my Palm desktop application didn't work well until reinstalled. Other than that everything works great. Favorite part of the upgrade is the airport menu now allows me to connect and dissconnect without opening the internet connect. Worst, I can't figure out how to copy paste new icons: (
Overall good update

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2002, 12:52 AM

Has anyone had any problems with Pismo's? 500 in particular?
[edit] forgot, I'm most interested in any problems with the upgrade as opposed to a fresh install.
( Last edited by juanvaldes; Aug 22, 2002 at 01:32 AM. )
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 01:13 AM

Has anyone had any problems with Pismo's? 500 in particular?
Installed on my wife's Pismo (with a brand new 40GB hard disk) last night... after partitioning, we went on with the install and it barfed at the "preparing" stage. Tried again, choosing the "Erase and Install" option (even though wasn't necessary for a blank disk) worked fine.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

uochris
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 01:18 AM

I've installed 10.2 on 6 machines including an iBook, Powerbook, G4 and iMac's and it's gone smooth every time. I use the clean install with the move users option and it's worked great. The first machine I installed it on was a Pismo and it went without a hitch.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2002, 04:04 AM

I had quite a few problems, the upgrade initially worked but when I restarted I was unable to login to my main account, I got round this by enabling root on a different account and throwing out anything that was likely to cause a problem at login.

When I finally started using it I noticed that it hadn't imported or had only partially imported some of the files from my old account. For instance only a few addresses were now available in my address book and I had no saved mail.

Luckily I had them backed up and the upgrade is now limping along o.k (there seem to lots of bugs but I don't know if that's the upgrade or just Jag) I intendt to do a full reinstall over time on a different volume.

It was suggested to me that using Carbon Copy Cloner you could try out an upgrade on a copy of your system and leave the original intact just in case.
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

El Pre$idente
Banned
Aug 22, 2002, 04:14 AM

Choose Archive and Install. If everything is OK after a few days using the new OS, you can delete the old backup by changing the permissions for Previous Systems folder.

PowerBookDude
Aug 22, 2002, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
Choose Archive and Install. If everything is OK after a few days using the new OS, you can delete the old backup by changing the permissions for Previous Systems folder.
What exactly is Archive and Install? Like what does it do?

Thanks!

CarpetFluff
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2002, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by PowerBookDude:

What exactly is Archive and Install? Like what does it do?

Thanks!
When you choose your destination volume it checks to see if there's a version of OS X already there. If so you can either do a fresh install getting rid of everything or you can archive and install which tries to extract all your applications and user settings from your previous installation.

Your old user accounts should remain intact (my desktop picture even remained the same).

To access this function you need to select the destination drive first, then hit 'options' which as I recall is just below and to the left of the box which lists the drives and other information.

You have to sepcifically select this option, it doesn't choose it by default.

I had difficulty with this method, but some people's installations have been fine.
If it rained soup I'd have a fork in my hand!

PowerBookDude
Aug 22, 2002, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by CarpetFluff:

When you choose your destination volume it checks to see if there's a version of OS X already there. If so you can either do a fresh install getting rid of everything or you can archive and install which tries to extract all your applications and user settings from your previous installation.

Your old user accounts should remain intact (my desktop picture even remained the same).
So, what's the difference between that and a regular upgrade? Archive and Install is like do a clean install but it keeps your settings and etc?

About A.I. (Archive and Install) does it keep just the User Home directory's plus main Lib prefs? Or does it also save files and apps in the root level of the HD?

Thanks!

nelliott
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 03:48 PM

Not exactly a nightmare, but as I've noted in my other post, there seems to be no option to do an 'erase and install' or an 'archive and install' in the jag upgrade cd's that came with my new iBook yesterday (and yes I have looked for an options button on the 'select installation volume' pane in the installer).

Bizzare - I can't believe that they would ship 2 different versions?

Mithras
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2002, 03:58 PM

I had a problem with an 'Archive and Install' on my Powerbook Wallstreet.

I installed, and all seemed well. I tinkered around with the system a bit, then tried to reboot.

Upon reboot, the computer stopped early through the boot process (with the Apple logo), presenting a command prompt:

sh-2.05a#

I tried 'exit', 'logout', and 'SystemStarter', none of which did anything useful. I then rebooted a few more times, noodled around in OS 9, all to no avail.

At the brink of despair, I tried running a few of the items in the /System/Library/StartupItems/ folder. One (SSH) complained that the file '/etc/hostconfig' did not exist. Aha!

Apparently the installer forgot to copy over my 'hostconfig' when it was 'copying network settings'. I copied the old one into /etc, rebooted, and all was well.

Hope that might help someone else who gets the same problem.

macaddled
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2002, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Mithras:

Hope that might help someone else who gets the same problem.
Oh, god bless you, kind sir. Slightly different problem (no appletalk), but that fixed it. Sometimes I love this forum.

sambeau
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 06:28 PM

Those of you running webservers, MySQL and the likes - don't forget to back it all up. MySQL breaks, Apache gets a brand new config file (although the old one is saved - but not the mime types - should have just stuck them in conf ) . PHP goes a bit wonky and I had a few problems with Perl, ImageMagick etc.

Basically if you have installed something non-standard - be prepared to do it again.

**Back up your data first!**

However, they can all be put right quite easily.. I've just had to do this on a fairly complex site .. but that is a unix thread I guess ..

sambeau
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by CarpetFluff:

I would like to do this on my PowerMac. Anyone know if

1) it will break my unixy stuff again..

2) I can archive and re-install 10.2 (as I have already done a 'standard' upgrade install)

Would be good to do a clean install but I have a number of complex database driven websites in development on this box (along with a week's worth of mp3s)

a-poria
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2002, 06:51 PM

i've been having problems with my 10.2 install. thinking this "hostconfig" file may be the culprit. how can i find this file? i've looked in System/Library/StartupItems on my other computer and don't see it (invisible files turned on). also, can i copy this from another computer running 10.1.5?

thanks.

EDIT: stupid me, found it.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 07:03 PM

Well, I at least had a good experience with my 10.2 install. I chose "Upgrade" and "Easy Install" (not customized) and everything's working perfectly. It kept all of my settings exactly how they were. 10.2 is great!

I upgraded from 10.1.5 on a PB DVI 800Mhz.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

sambeau
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 08:06 PM

Ho-ho!

I just went to open something in Classic and guess what?...

... it's not there!

Seems a clean install doesn't include Classic...

(think I'll start a topic about this one in fact )

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 10:00 PM

I've seen both Upgrades and Archive (clean) installs run fine from 10.1.5 - 10.2. However, I have noticed some potential problems can arise, and how to avoid them.

1. Boot into single user mode before hand with the old system (hold down command-s the moment you turn on the computer until you see white text on a black screen) and run fsck (instructions are given automatically on the screen). Then reboot. It's quite likely installing on a system with disk problems will cause havok.

2. The moment the computer is rebooted after the installation, hold down command-option-p-r to reset the PRAM. This will fix any problems with data stored in the parity ram, which can become screwed up between system upgrades.

3. If, after Jag is installed, programs go haywire, try removing their prefs (from your /Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences folder), as I've seen a couple of program problems fixed this way.

4. Expect that any system-enhancing programs you have installed wont work properly with 10.2. Norton Systemworks and many haxies don't, for example. If something installed deep into the system is broken, you can often tell by holding down Command-V at startup, which will give you all the system messages as the computer boots (instead of the grey screen with apple logo) and it will show warning messages about kernel extentions and the like that are a problem.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'm pretty sure many of the problems mentioned above were related to problems that were fixable by taking these steps.

Aug 22, 2002, 10:48 PM

installed on 3 machines so far... awaiting 27 more... woo hoo.
*ALL* installs were of the "upgrade" variety... and all were upgraded from 10.1.5...

(1) iMac G4 800 - installed perfect / no problems at all (was the only one that i did the "full" install on... others i disabled extra printer drivers and language support which cut their install time from 2 hours on this iMac to 45 minutes or so on the others...)

(2) 533Mhz G4 - installed and seemed to be working... i rebooted and all i got was an "all-new" error screen grey box on a black background telling me to restart (in 4-5 different langauges) and then having my MAC address and IP address on it. restarted several times ... kept getting the same error. 9 booted fine though. tried many many many different things before deciding to pull all the RAM (had 1.1GB) and leaving in just one 128MB chip. rebooted... worked perfect. shut down and took out the 128MB chip and replaced it with (2) 512MB chips. worked fine and has ever since. huh? that made no sense...

(3) TiBook 800 - my personal machine... tons of random hacks done to it. i had it previously booting in japanese (though the main interface was in english) this caused issues. when it asked for the second disc the installer interface was in japanese... upon first reboot... the finder refused to load. i had a dock and other apps would boot fine (entourage / fire / photoshop) and all were in english... just no finder booting. when i tried to boot system preferences... i never got the prefs window... and it's menus were in japanese. i ended up booting into 9 and BBEdit-ing a bunch of .plist files *and* (most importantly) had to use ResEdit to visible-ize the "private" directory then going into /var/log/CDIS.custom and CDIS.backup and BBEdit-ing those files *back* to "Language=English" ... i *also* disabled/removed *all* Norton apps/startup items from my X partition. upon rebooting into X again... everything worked fine.

on all machines... the only problems i have had are the following non-working prefpanes: ASM (fix coming soon) / MouseZoom / SharePoints / Apple Remote Desktop (better be fixed soon) ... i also had to install "Menu Extra Enabler" to get my 3rd-Party menu extras to work again... and i had to install a new version of Retrospect Client... printers also had to be re-set-up in the new Print Center (which runs *waaaaay* slow...) ... and my only "issue" so far is the FTP-through-Finder which technically works except (a) no keychain password saving and (b) i get *no* subdirectories listed... i *only* see the files on the root level... no folders.

other than that... so far... so good...

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 11:18 PM

10.2 won't install on my Pismo 400. On the screen where you select the disk to install to none of the 3 partitions on my internal hard drive appear. Nothing at all appears, which is very frustrating. The disk utility sees all 3 partitions and I can repair them individually but I get an error when trying to repair the entire disk at once. I'm trying to run norton on it in 9 but I keep getting errors. I don't really know what to do. I don't have the means to wipe the entire disk because i don't have a way of backing up the whole thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules