Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Update: Archive+Install? Easy Install? Format???

Update: Archive+Install? Easy Install? Format???
itistoday
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 05:40 PM

I realllly don't want to format because I don't have enough space to back up everything i have, so....

Which way should I update my system from 10.1.5 to 10.2? And what exactly does Archive+install do?

jpassan64
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 06:57 PM

I didn't want to format my drive, so I initially, and unintentionally, had it upgrade the existing system. Upon booting after install, I was very disappointed. System response seemed a bit slower than before, and application launch was slower.

Since I wanted to do the archive and install option but missed the "Options" button the first time around, I went back and reinstalled. I could not be happier with the results. I checked the box to have all of my users and preferences saved, and they were. The system is very noticeably faster, and I haven't run into any problems.

I have read that some people were happy with the upgrade of 10.1.5, but that was definitely not my experience. Mileage may vary.

Anyway, all of this is on a G3 600 iMac with 768 MB ram.

John

PowerBookDude
Aug 23, 2002, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by jpassan64:
Since I wanted to do the archive and install option but missed the "Options" button the first time around, I went back and reinstalled. I could not be happier with the results. I checked the box to have all of my users and preferences saved, and they were. The system is very noticeably faster, and I haven't run into any problems.
Does Archive and Install delete ANY of your files? What about ones in the root level of the HD and not in a User folder?

Also what about Apps in the root level and Classic?

How does it vary from just the upgrade?

Thanks!

pjosborne
Aug 24, 2002, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by jpassan64:
I didn't want to format my drive, so I initially, and unintentionally, had it upgrade the existing system.
Me too! I kind of expected the option for clean install to be on the "installation options" screen and not hidden behind an "options" button on the "destination disk" screen. I expect most other people will miss it too. I miss the days when Apple stuck to their own Human Interface Guidelines.

And I second the motion that the "Easy Upgrade" sucks - I had to downgrade back to 10.1.5 (because lots of little things went screwy) and did a clean install on to a second disk.

I think Jaguar was a great moniker for the upgrade - it feels a bit like riding on a large unpredictable but undeniably powerful cat!!

Peter
Peter Osborne
Small Fry Web Hosting

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 06:04 AM

Originally posted by PowerBookDude:

Does Archive and Install delete ANY of your files? What about ones in the root level of the HD and not in a User folder?

Also what about Apps in the root level and Classic?

How does it vary from just the upgrade?

Thanks!
I think it deleted my Classic System Folder? Did anyone else find this ?
It might have archived it into the Previous System Folders but I deleted
that before I noticed it was gone. The Previous System Folder is pretty big so I decided to get rid of it. I put it in trash
and did empty trash and it took for ages and seemed to hang when it got to 0 files left. I think there are problems with the permissions. So I went in with terminal and sudoed to root and then did delete.
Somehow it shouldn't have been this hard. I have a few more machines to do.
Does anyone know a better system for upgrading ?

Michael

itistoday  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 02:48 PM

So no one out there can tell me what Archive and install does??

mr. natural
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 05:48 PM

If i'm not mistaken, "Archive & Install" saves all your old 10.1.5 home folders, preferences, etc. and transfers everything into 10.2. This has been my experience at least.

snerdini
Senior User
Aug 24, 2002, 09:08 PM

Archive & Install is awesome. It worked completely smooth for my transition. Just make sure you check the checkbox underneath the A&I install option that says "Restore User preferences and settings".

Don't hold me to this, but it appears to me that it actually archives your whole prior system. The system folder is there, along with all the unix folders. I forgot to export out all my MySQL databases, and I was really upset until I found the /usr/local folder in the Previous Systems folder! Yay!

I'd like to see Microsoft make an install run that smoothly!

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 09:32 PM

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 09:43 PM

I upgraded to 10.2 a couple of weeks ago on a bw g3, doing the archive and install feature. It works like a charm.
Last night I reinstalled 10.2 again, this time backing up everything to a firewire drive, reformated the bwg3 and installed 10.2 from scratch.

The result was mindblowing. There was a huge difference in speed compared to the arcive/install I did a couple of weeks ago.

The computer is a BW g3/350, 512 mb ram, 60 gb hd.
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 11:24 PM

wait, everything in the Users folder is saved? Documents, Pictures, Music, Movies, etc?

Would it still be a good idea to back up the Users, or is Archive and Install reliable enough to just go for it?

--Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules