Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > How low can the US dollar go?

How low can the US dollar go? (Page 2)
Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
May 6, 2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
I agree. I also agree that visits by Canadians to the US will increase.

However, I just don't think that US tourism will "explode" like some have suggested. It will get an incremental increase. As you said, the US is already a popular vacation destination for Canadians (and people from all over the world).

The increased security at US borders certainly won't help the tourism cause either.
Interestingly, I just heard on the radio that in the past year as the Canadian dollar has increased in value relative to the US dollar, not only has the number of American travellers coming to Canada decreased, the number Canadian travellers going to the US has decreased as well.

The analysts have suggested that part of it may be related to border security issues, although they didn't specify whether it was actual US border issues or just discussions of US border issues in the news. (I've been to the US several times in the past couple of years, and the border checks don't seem any more stringent now for me as compared to before.)

I suspect it may be partly that, but also because Canada has been less friendly with the US since the start of the Iraq war.

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2006, 10:12 PM

The CAD$ hit 91¢ US today. Right now:

CAD: $0.909
GBP: $1.866
Euro: $1.276
Yen: $0.0090

At least one manufacturer has taken this into account. Sony announced the Playstation 3 at US$499/$599, and CAD$549/659. That values the CAD$ at pretty much exactly what it's worth in US$.

Hopefully Apple follows suit.

Interestingly though, the CAD$ has actually lost a bit of ground against the UK pound and the Euro. ie. The US$ continues to drop against the major currencies. Even China let it drop against the Yuan ever so slightly.

Scooterboy
Senior User
May 13, 2006, 11:00 PM

1 Euro = 1.29 US Dollars
1 Pound Sterling = 1.90 US Dollars
1 Canadian Dollar = 90¢ US

For me this sucks. I'm travelling to Ireland (EuroZone) and the UK this summer. And I purchase scooter parts from the UK and this crappy, weak US dollar is killing me. Will my friends fly to the US to visit and shop? No way. Even with the cheaper shopping, the US doesn't hold the appeal for them as it once used to.

It wasn't long ago when the Euro was only worth 95¢ and the Pound Sterling was only $1.57 - 1.66.
That was back when good paying US jobs were easy to find, the US economy was doing a damn site better than now, and my European friends genuinely liked America. Hmmm, when was that? Before 2000. I wonder what happened that year?

Making stuff in China is still cheaper so don't wait around for US factories to start mushrooming. At least my PowerBook was made in Ameri---errr, China.

We're on our way to becoming a third world country ourselves, or at best, a bankrupt ex-superpower like Russia.
( Last edited by Scooterboy; May 13, 2006 at 11:06 PM. )
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Eug Wanker  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
Anyways, I do think Apple will match the pricing closer this time around. It's just that recently the CAD dollar has climbed substantially vs. the US dollar, so the numbers are really out of whack. One of the reasons it's so far out of whack is the fact that the iBook is now 40 weeks old... and Apple rarely updates its pricing mid-cycle.

I suspect that if Apple releases a US$1099 13" MacBook to replace the US$999 12" iBook, they'll keep the Canadian pricing close to the same at CAD$1249 (US$1127) or at most CAD$1299 (US$1172). If they release the 13" MacBook at the same US$999, then I suspect the Canadian pricing will drop to CAD$1149 (US$1036) or at most CAD$1199 (US$1082). That gives Apple a little bit of a cushion should the US dollar rise again, but keeps the numbers relatively similar.

BTW, the 17" MacBook Pro is US$2799 in the US, and CAD$3299 in Canada. CAD$3299 is US$2976. That's still a 6% difference, but 6% is reasonable. The iBook is priced differently by 13%, which is too high, considering there is a free trade agreement between the two countries for this type of stuff.

Using the 17" PowerBook as a gauge, the higher C$ guesstimates for the 13" MacBooks seem about right:

US$999 MacBook - CAD$1199 (US$1082, +8.3%)
US$1099 MacBook - CAD$1299 (US$1172, +6.6%)
US$1499 MacBook Pro - CAD$1749 (US$1580, +5.4%)
So, Apple's release is:

US$1099 MacBook - CAD$1249 (US$1124, +2.3%)
US$1299 MacBook - CAD$1449 (US$1304, +0.4%)
US$1499 BlacBook - CAD$1649 (US$1484, -1.0%)

The current exchange rate is:

1 US$ = 1.111 CAD$
1 CAD$ = 90¢ US
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; May 16, 2006 at 10:56 AM. )

Monique
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 11:01 AM

It is still a good exchange against the euro; when I went to France last year I had to pay 1.64.

First, lucky you; you are going to a very beautiful country. Second, make yourself a daily budget; let's see 80 euros a day, then multiply it by the number of days you will be there; multiply it with the exchange rate, the cost of taking out money with the european atm; put the money in your chequing account, and worry over about not going over your budget and forget about the exchange rate. This is not the end of the world, believe me. I have to deal with it all the time and that is just the way it is. By the way when I went to England I had to pay 2.35 for each pound.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2006, 11:14 AM

France.. bleh

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Scooterboy
Senior User
May 22, 2006, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Monique
It is still a good exchange against the euro; when I went to France last year I had to pay 1.64.

First, lucky you; you are going to a very beautiful country. Second, make yourself a daily budget; let's see 80 euros a day, then multiply it by the number of days you will be there; multiply it with the exchange rate, the cost of taking out money with the european atm; put the money in your chequing account, and worry over about not going over your budget and forget about the exchange rate. This is not the end of the world, believe me. I have to deal with it all the time and that is just the way it is. By the way when I went to England I had to pay 2.35 for each pound.
Yes, it is a beautiful country. I used to live there. I only wish I'd kept my postal savings account fatter, as the rising Euro would make it that much more so.

Nowadays, I prefer a strong dollar as I make my money in the US, and spend a fair amount in the EuroZone or the UK. Purely selfish, I know. But a weak US dollar isn't helping anyone who earns their wage in dollars and and wants to travel to Europe, or has to purchase European goods.
This year I'll have to earn a few Euro whilst I'm over, which is easy enough in a fast rising economy such as Ireland's so long as you're willing to work hard.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Rumor
May 23, 2006, 10:51 AM

If anyone can figure out how to make a dollar go higher, please let me know. Mine seem to be on the really low end.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scooterboy
Making stuff in China is still cheaper so don't wait around for US factories to start mushrooming. At least my PowerBook was made in Ameri---errr, China.
My Airport Express was made in Ireland.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules