Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Keyboard Suggestions?

Keyboard Suggestions?
rslifka
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2008, 01:56 PM

About to pick up an MBP and would like a full size keyboard for extended home use. A search on MacConnection came up with > 1000 results

I don't have a lot of requirements. It would be cool to have the Apple keys but it's not a huge requirement. Cabled is fine because it would just be plugged into the 30" ACD along with my other periphs.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rob

Cold Warrior
Jan 20, 2008, 02:14 PM

Apple - Keyboard

Matias Tactile Pro 2.0 Keyboard

I've heard good things about the second one, and mixed about Apple's.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2008, 03:39 PM

Personally I think the Apple keyboards are a bit overpriced. I'm using a regular Logitech with my Mac mini, no problems; OS X recognized it and mapped the the Command-key to the Windows-key.

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 20, 2008, 04:45 PM

Personally, I really rather like the Apple Pro Keyboard (the black one that came with the later G3 iMacs and G4 PowerMacs). It has a much better feel to the slightly 'mushy' white Apple Keyboard that was recently replaced by the skinny aluminium one. It has the advantage over the current model that it has full-size, full-travel keys.

I've heard fantastic things about the Matias Tactile Pro, as posted by Cold Warrior. It shares a technological foundation with some of the best keyboards ever made, and gets rave reviews. It is, however, very pricey.

Cold Warrior
Jan 20, 2008, 05:15 PM

No, I meant I've heard good things about the Matias, but mixed about the Apple.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2008, 05:35 PM

I helped a client get the above white aluminum Apple keyboard. I was predisposed to not like it, but I ended up really liking the feeling of the keys and the amount of travel. It has a great light touch on the typing. Highly recommend it.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2008, 05:35 PM

I've just replaced my old white apple kbd with a new aluminium wired one and I like it - a lot. I don't think it's overpriced. Was £24 plus VAT, which is a sort of pocket money price really.

I do however still miss my old beige ADB keyboard, I know there were several but there's one model hat had the most amazing keys evar!

Koralatov
Senior User
Jan 20, 2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
No, I meant I've heard good things about the Matias, but mixed about the Apple.
That's what I took your post to mean; sorry if I didn't make that clear in my post.

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
I helped a client get the above white aluminum Apple keyboard. I was predisposed to not like it, but I ended up really liking the feeling of the keys and the amount of travel. It has a great light touch on the typing. Highly recommend it.
I haven't personally used it, so I couldn't definitively comment either way. That said, I think I am somewhat like yourself--I'm slightly predisposed toward disliking it. The first computer I used was an Ambra Sprinta, and it had a keyboard very similar to the legendary IBM Model-M, which means that every keyboard I've ever used since then has been measured against it; as such, a lot of them fall short.

Originally Posted by Andrew Stephens View Post
I do however still miss my old beige ADB keyboard, I know there were several but there's one model hat had the most amazing keys evar!
I suspect that was one of the Apple Extended keyboards, which used buckling springs similar to the Model M. Using one of them prejudices you against anything inferior!

rslifka  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks very much for the tips so far guys. I hadn't even heard of the new apple keyboards! Perfect timing too... looking to pull the trigger on a big shopping cart at MacConnection tonite. Have to prepare myself

OreoCookie
Jan 21, 2008, 05:36 AM

I have a Tactile Pro (first-gen) and I love it! Third-best keyboard I've ever used (right after IBM M and NeXT keyboards).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

anselm
Jan 23, 2008, 03:53 PM

If you`re looking for a keyboard that is comfortable to write on and silent then you should check out the Anti-RSI products from A4Tech.

They don`t look stylish in any way but it`s very pleasant writing on those if you type a lot.
It`s like all keys got extra rubber damping.

Cheap aswell: I payed under 10€ for this one Welcome to www.A4Tech.com

Problem: No USB. But I like it enough to pay another 10 bucks for a PS/2 to USB adapter.

These 2 also support USB:

Welcome to www.A4Tech.com
Welcome to www.A4Tech.com

I suppose they got the same pleasant keys like my cheap keyboard from A4Tech.
The KB(S)-29 is probably for left handed people.

The look is not great but they surely are great keyboards and not costly.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2008, 04:09 PM

I really like the new wired Apple keyboard. And I consider it to be pretty inexpensive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

NewOldbie
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2008, 06:59 PM

I wear out Apple keyboards every 4-6 months.

My generation #1 Matias Tactile Pro keyboard has lasted 3 years and still going strong (I broke off the little legs on the bottom).

I recently purchased three Tactile Pro 2.0 keyboards. It has a few problems compared w/ 1.0 version but still a great keyboard. Made in Taiwan but great tactile feedback and is the only keyboard I'd use, given a choice.
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him.

Voltaire

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 11, 2008, 03:30 AM

I have the Matias Tactile Pro 1 and it's everything everyone says it is -- amazing solid tactile feedback, extremely accurate, and really noisy (clacky). By far the best keyboard I've ever used, but as much as I like it, I think I'm going to sell it and get one of the new Apple keyboards because I just got a MacBook, love the new keyboard, and am having trouble switching back and forth because it and the Matias are VERY different. And frankly, I don't like the noise. Anyone wanna trade an apple alu keyboard for my Matias?

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 11, 2008, 05:56 AM

I love the new Apple keyboard. It replaced a MacAlly iceKey which is great too.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by NewOldbie View Post
I wear out Apple keyboards every 4-6 months.
Whaaaat!!!!

"Hulk smash little puny keyboard, grrrr!"

Seriously, maybe you're typing a bit too hard!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules